997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Daily Driver in Winter thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015 | 01:49 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Old 02-09-2015 | 09:48 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Just started using my 997.2 C2S cab as my DD and it had its first snow test last night driving 160 miles from Southwestern CT to Boston in the snow. It's been doing great with the Pirelli Sottozero's and 110lb of sand in the front, but having an open diff is becoming a pain at certain times since I've gotten slightly stuck once or twice.

Anyways, I'm slightly worried about my soft top with all the snow and ice since my car sits outside for now. Any one have any input on how to care for it?
Old 02-16-2015 | 07:51 PM
sebBo13
Advanced

Thought it would start snowing at 5pm so I took the car to work assuming it would be back in the garage before it started. It did start at 1pm and I got stuck on my 400 feet uphill driveway.

Had one of the most scary moments of my life when my wife came out to help me I got out of the car for a second and it slowly started to slide down the driveway. She was standing behind it and did the worst possible thing, trying to stop it! There is a 2400 pound car with a ground clearance of about an average skull short axis diameter minus 1 inch and a 120 pound lady with a self declared "total lack of upper body strength" is standing behind it trying to stop it - that must be love! I yelled at her to let it go and had to watch for an agonizing 15 seconds as the car was slowly sliding towards a stone wall that it on both sides of our driveway. A few feet before impact the car miraculously changed direction towards the street where it came to a gentle stop. OMG

Now both wife and car are safely tucked in (kitchen and garage respectively) and at least the car will not leave it until the roads are dry again! I don't like winter!!

Old 02-16-2015 | 11:02 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sebBo13
Thought it would start snowing at 5pm so I took the car to work assuming it would be back in the garage before it started. It did start at 1pm and I got stuck on my 400 feet uphill driveway.

Had one of the most scary moments of my life when my wife came out to help me I got out of the car for a second and it slowly started to slide down the driveway. She was standing behind it and did the worst possible thing, trying to stop it! There is a 2400 pound car with a ground clearance of about an average skull short axis diameter minus 1 inch and a 120 pound lady with a self declared "total lack of upper body strength" is standing behind it trying to stop it - that must be love! I yelled at her to let it go and had to watch for an agonizing 15 seconds as the car was slowly sliding towards a stone wall that it on both sides of our driveway. A few feet before impact the car miraculously changed direction towards the street where it came to a gentle stop. OMG

Now both wife and car are safely tucked in (kitchen and garage respectively) and at least the car will not leave it until the roads are dry again! I don't like winter!!
Could have happened to any of us. Glad you got lucky ... With both the car and the wife. It sounds like you've got a couple of keepers!
Old 02-16-2015 | 11:34 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Banilej0

Just another day at the office
My car is the twin sibling of yours. same winter wheels. Unfortunately, I drove over something last week and ruined the winter tire. My biatch is hibernating in garage waiting till spring. LOL
Old 02-16-2015 | 11:53 PM
secondshot
Racer

That's a scary situation. i left mine in the garage today and took the 4 wheel drive vehicle. DC never gets the forecast right. Either predicts alot...then nothing, or the opposite...nothing and it turns to 6-10 inches like today. Glad everyone/911 is safe.
Old 02-17-2015 | 12:55 AM
sebBo13
Advanced

Originally Posted by malexgcab
My car is the twin sibling of yours. same winter wheels. Unfortunately, I drove over something last week and ruined the winter tire. My biatch is hibernating in garage waiting till spring. LOL
Twins indeed, I have to complement you on your taste ;-)
Old 02-17-2015 | 01:24 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Love driving in the winter especially with some fresh powder. Just hate the road salt!
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2015 | 03:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I sort of miss living outside Boston (Concord, MA). But when I keep seeing the nightly news accounts of yet another snowstorm going through I get my sanity back and am pleased mostly that I don't have to be out there shoveling every hour or two.

Best of luck to all you snow-belters out there who are negotiating rough conditions. We get way too spoiled out here in California when it comes to weather. (It was 88ºF a couple of days ago here--nearly a record!)

Global warming. That's it.
Old 02-17-2015 | 09:47 AM
SamDaMan
Instructor

I plowed for the first time this season (DC) and am wondering whether to take the GTS out or use my son's Jetta. The 911 looks so clean and happy in the garage...
Old 02-17-2015 | 09:49 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I sort of miss living outside Boston (Concord, MA). But when I keep seeing the nightly news accounts of yet another snowstorm going through I get my sanity back and am pleased mostly that I don't have to be out there shoveling every hour or two.
I'm in Waltham and it's awful. I've never been one to hate snow, but enough is enough already
Old 02-17-2015 | 10:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

We had over a foot of snow yesterday. The roads are plowed today, so my 997 will be leaving the warm garage for the first time since Satuday.
Old 02-17-2015 | 10:10 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

From last week. It did just fine in the snow with Sottozero's

Old 02-17-2015 | 10:30 AM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sebBo13

Get winter tires! summer tires should never be driven in winter or below 7 degrees celsius
Old 02-17-2015 | 12:00 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry to say but I can't stand the thought of taking the car out on the salted roads in/around NYC. March is just around the corner and I'm hoping for an early spring.... Kudos to those able or willing to use the cars year-round in the northeast/Canada...

Quick Reply: Porsche Daily Driver in Winter thread