Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deal or no deal? salvage title cab, no history...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015 | 12:10 AM
stillentt
2nd Gear

Default deal or no deal? salvage title cab, no history...

I've run across a 06' cabriolet, 67K miles, salvage title, appears clean (from photos) and they want $26K for the vehicle.

A licensed fiduciary company has been court appointed to handle a deceased mans estate, vehicles etc.. That being said there's nothing known as to exactly why the title is salvage, or really any history on the car. They are supposed to be sending over the carfax here shortly, which probably won't reveal a whole lot.

I'd have to fly across country to see the car, in addition to to getting a PPI performed. I guess my question is, at $26K is this a good deal if I plan to keep it for several years and the PPI checks out?

Name:  00i0i_jrVzDT6U92w_600x450.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  34.3 KB Name:  00A0A_5awaQ3ApRng_600x450.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by stillentt; 01-25-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2015 | 12:13 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Look up other post where a roller car with no motor is priced for $3k-$5k top.
Salvaged car is a potential roller. $26k is nonsense.
Old 01-25-2015 | 08:55 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Hell no. Salvage title car should be 50%-60% of non-salvage in my opinion, unless it's a well-documented minor repair. A base model 997 cab with 67k and no history is about as low-cost as a 997 gets, it should be in the low $30k range for a clean title example.
Old 01-25-2015 | 02:02 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stillentt
I've run across a 06' cabriolet, 67K miles, salvage title, appears clean (from photos) and they want $26K for the vehicle.

A licensed fiduciary company has been court appointed to handle a deceased mans estate, vehicles etc.. That being said there's nothing known as to exactly why the title is salvage, or really any history on the car. They are supposed to be sending over the carfax here shortly, which probably won't reveal a whole lot.

I'd have to fly across country to see the car, in addition to to getting a PPI performed. I guess my question is, at $26K is this a good deal if I plan to keep it for several years and the PPI checks out?

Attachment 905680 Attachment 905681
With so many unknowns, unless you a REAL handy with a wrench and KNOW the 997.1 Porche's well, you are walking into a potential money pit.

Get the VIN and and ask the fiduciary company if there has been an mechanical assessment performed. Ask about having a PPI completed. Call the nearest dealer and see what they might have in the way of service records. Also, you can get some basic info from:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud...check/vincheck free

http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis...lehistory.html fee based but very reasonable

Frankly, if this is your first Porsche, think this through. Good luck.

Lastly, this is a large and helpful forum membership base. Put your location in signature line. You never know who might volunteer to go have a look for you.
Old 01-25-2015 | 05:38 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Because most Porsche owners have high standards, you will not get much enthusiasm for a salvage title car. However, it could be worth it at the right price.

A likely possibility for the salvage title is flood damage, especially from Hurricane Sandy. Was in it NY during that time? There were also some huge floods in the midwest a few years ago.

Another possibility, although this is easier for a mechanic to spot, is that you have two different cars literally welded together.

Keep in mind, the problem with flood damage is that it literally corrodes all of the wiring and electrical contacts over the years. Not only is wiring a PITA to replace, but troubleshooting the issue is a nightmare (you are never sure if the problem is mechanical or electrical and where it is coming from).

A big problem with buying a salvage car is that it is hard to price because there is not enough data. I agree with the others, 50-60% of the price for a "good" car of the same specs might be about right. That would put this one around $15-20k. But on the other hand, there is a non-zero risk that your $20k investment will be worthless. So do you really want to spend $10-15k less to take the risk that you lose $10-15K? If you can afford to lose that much without caring, then you have enough money to afford a good car.
Old 01-25-2015 | 08:08 PM
stillentt
2nd Gear

While I'm located in Oklahoma, the vehicle is located in Sacramento, however I found some interesting news about the owner and have decided to opt out. The owner was a bit of a "wheeler dealer" and also owned two other vehicles included in the estate sale, both have salvage titles.

After everyones feedback here, the car location, and limited information on the vehicle history ABQ997 nailed it, I'd rather save my cash for a more reputable purchase.

Here's the link to the craigslist posting if anyone else is interested: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4859664001.html

After speaking with the man who is handling the estate sale, he understood my point of view and thanked me. Looks like he lowered the price of the vehicle to $23.5K today for a more realistic, quick sale.
Old 01-25-2015 | 11:15 PM
s4alex
Instructor

It really all depends on why it was salvaged. You will have to do your home work on the car and the history.

For me? If the motor is good, the frame is straight, and the suspension is good, no reason not to take a real healthy interest in the car.

Just remember with a salvage car:

1. Plan on keeping it for a long time.
2. If you plan on selling it withing the first 20 years of the cars life, it will be REALLY hard.
3. The older the car gets, the less relevant the salvage title becomes, but then this is when it will be 20+ year model.
4. Get a PPI, a very thorough PPI. Including getting an alignment check to make sure there are no suspension issues, maybe take off the front bumper to make sure no front end damage, etc.

If all the damage was just bodywork and other non-essential replaceable parts, no big deal. All it really takes is a few panels to be replaced and painted and a lot of cars will get totaled. With no real damage. I mean, how much does an OEM front bumper, front right/left quarter panel, rear bumper cost? How much does it cost to paint? See what I mean. Same with theft recovery. This would be the jackpot if it was theft recovery, usually only needs a new key set made.

Just add up all the items that will need to be replaced and add that to the price of the car. How close are you to the price of a clean title car?

These are just my thoughts. I have both bought and sold salvage title vehicles. They can be a real gem if you do your homework and due diligence.
Old 01-25-2015 | 11:33 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

if you take it to a porsche dealer and have them check it, if it is good and drivable, check alignment, etc, then negociate the price. If you buy it, plan on keeping it. Because if you try to sell it, youll get nothing
Old 01-26-2015 | 03:02 AM
Thedips
Racer

i was thinking that seemed quite high for a salvage. just a few more bucks will get you close to a very high mile clean car...
Old 01-26-2015 | 07:18 AM
user 72902
Banned

I would not do this because certain states do not let you register a vehicle with a salvaged title.
Old 01-26-2015 | 08:29 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkw911
I would not do this because certain states do not let you register a vehicle with a salvaged title.
I've heard rumor of this but I can't seem to find a good centralized source for checking out which states. Can you point us in the right direction? THANKS!!!
Old 01-26-2015 | 08:35 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stillentt
...After everyones feedback here, the car location, and limited information on the vehicle history ABQ997 nailed it, I'd rather save my cash for a more reputable purchase....
I take it that this is your first Porsche...Porsche 911 purchase, correct?

Lots of sources to search through: craiglist (you got that one), cars.com, autotrader, and PCA (Porsche CLub of America). Take your time, and as I was in you shoes 4 years ago, many forum members with 100s and 1000s of posts all said the same thing, pay for a PPI from either a Porsche dealer or a local independent Porsche shop with a good reputation. Money well spent. I must have looked for a year and at many many Porsches until I found the one I wanted and then had the PPI etc.

Good luck! Keep checking back. I think I speak for everyone, "we all love to help folks hunt that elusive 'perfect' one"
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:10 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkw911
Source? Because I've never heard of that before. Most states will issue a "rebuilt from salvage" title after an inspection, some will actually issue a standard title.

I've also heard "you can't get full coverage" on a salvaged vehicle, but I did on a salvage title truck.
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:20 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

As long as you know the details and history the car's worth what your willing to pay for it.
Old 01-27-2015 | 03:41 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

I'm sorry , I would pass.

Quick Reply: deal or no deal? salvage title cab, no history...