Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitor Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015 | 09:08 PM
GBG
Pro

Default Tire Pressure Monitor Question

I got 4 new tires the other day and my TPS system is stuck in "learning mode" and I'm getting that annoying default message. When I go to the screen showing the tire pressures, the right wheels have a PSI number but the two left wheels are blank, no number. Is this a bad sensor or did the tire guy screw up the set up process? I'm trying to get rid of the annoying screen message. Any ideas for a fix? Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2015 | 10:01 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

It takes some time for the system to learn to read a new TPMS sensor. If you have waited more than 15 or 20 minutes while driving, then you might have a bad sensor. Did you install brand new sensors or reuse the old ones? The batteries in these sensors typically last 5-7 years before they die. The batteries are not user replaceable, so you have to replace the whole sensor.
Old 01-16-2015 | 10:50 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks John. It has def been more than enough time to learn the pressure, so I guess the problem is bad sensors. Are sensors simply a tire issue or car issue? In other words, can I buy new sensors at a generic tire shop and have them install the new sensors, or is it a more complex issue requiring a Porsche service expert? Thanks
Old 01-16-2015 | 11:55 PM
Schpee007
Pro

You can get new universal sensors for significantly less than new OEM sensors. However, you need to have a shop that has the right tools to turn them on and a tech who knows the right steps. If you search on Huf Intellisens in the forum you will find a thread I started that has more detail. Or feel free to PM me.
Old 01-19-2015 | 12:34 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Schpee007!
Old 01-26-2015 | 03:40 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schpee007
You can get new universal sensors for significantly less than new OEM sensors. However, you need to have a shop that has the right tools to turn them on and a tech who knows the right steps.
I'm installing new tires on Thu and debating about replacing my sensors. So far, they are fine but they are over 5 yrs old. Tire Rack has preprogrammed sensors for $308 as my local installed does not have the tools to program the universal sensors. Not sure what to do as the batteries will likely start dying as soon as the new tires are mounted Any advice?
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth, per the Porsche press release on the Gen 2 cars, the TPMS received bigger batteries that are now good for up to 10 years.
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:23 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Will the Gen 2 sensors work on the Gen 1 cars?
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:55 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by dasams

I'm installing new tires on Thu and debating about replacing my sensors. So far, they are fine but they are over 5 yrs old. Tire Rack has preprogrammed sensors for $308 as my local installed does not have the tools to program the universal sensors. Not sure what to do as the batteries will likely start dying as soon as the new tires are mounted Any advice?
My original sensors are six years old and show no signs of running out of battery. If you are seeing signs then put new ones in while you are mounting the tires.
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
For what it's worth, per the Porsche press release on the Gen 2 cars, the TPMS received bigger batteries that are now good for up to 10 years.
Can you please point to that press release? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015 | 05:56 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by joe 997
Will the Gen 2 sensors work on the Gen 1 cars?
I believe .1 cars operate at a different frequency.
Old 01-26-2015 | 06:02 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schpee007
My original sensors are six years old and show no signs of running out of battery. If you are seeing signs then put new ones in while you are mounting the tires.
I haven't seen any signs of battery drain and have decided not to replace the sensors. Michelin Super Sports to be installed on Thu
Old 01-26-2015 | 07:47 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias

From a recent thread on whether to upgrade from a 997.1 to a 997.2 look for the StormRune entry on 23 January. If memory serves me correctly you will find the the information on the second link. Also, you will see that the type of sensor was changed as well.

Other threads have dealt with people's pain getting the TPMS operating until they found someone who knew how to program them. The universals are great and help lower the cost, but universal is not without its pain.
Old 01-26-2015 | 07:57 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias

Oops ... First link, bottom of page 17 ... Keeping up the pressure ... continue to page 18.
Old 01-26-2015 | 10:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
From a recent thread on whether to upgrade from a 997.1 to a 997.2 look for the StormRune entry on 23 January. If memory serves me correctly you will find the the information on the second link. Also, you will see that the type of sensor was changed as well.

Other threads have dealt with people's pain getting the TPMS operating until they found someone who knew how to program them. The universals are great and help lower the cost, but universal is not without its pain.
Found the document - Link HERE.

Quote: "... The system has been given upgraded wheel sensors for 2009, which use a new communication technology and larger batteries. Now utilizing Tripper Logic, the sensors transmit their signals only whenever requested to do so by the control unit, except in the event of a rapid drop in pressure, which triggers a continuous signal. To efficiently receive signals from the wheel transmitters, the new generation of TPC now uses a central receiver aerial beneath the floor of the car, replacing the previously used aerials in each wheel arch. The system can now continue monitoring tire pressures in the other wheels even if some of the control units fail. With the new system, battery service life goes from seven to ten years."

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Question