Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts
Default Oil additives.... Boron, Teflon, Jay Leno

Oil additives.... Jay Leno, Boron, Teflon

Ok ok, before you jump down my throat about putting anything but yadda yadda into our precious Porsches..... let's try and keep this constructive.

Additives appeal to me given that I intend to keep my car "forever" and use it as a daily driver. I would still have that Boxster S if I didn't blow that 2nd engine. Small improvements today, could pay dividends 200K miles down the road. Opinions?

Some items:

1 - Jay Leno ran a piece on Archoil oil and fuel additives. He mentioned some restorers need something more than today's lite oils and need these additives mentioning wearing out cams... Archoil uses Boron that adds a barrier.
Jay Leno:
Archoil:http://www.archoilcart.com/ar9100-8-...-modifier.aspx

2 - Whatever happend to Krex oil additives? My old Datsun dealer used to add a bottle at every oil change to my 280ZX turbo. I thought the stuff was teflon, but their website shows it as graphite... hmmm..... The dealer liked it. http://krexinc.com/products/

To be totally honest, I have nothing against additives.... I am wary of snake oil but just because there is some snake oil out there doesn't mean you can't improve something. Mobil 1 is not a bad product but I do believe it can be improved upon..... of course another question is this necessary. Obviously just an opinion here with no science.

The only additive I use at the moment is Chevron's Techron once in a while.... nope I can't tell a difference.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
Flat6warrior (10-08-2022)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

IMO with the millions of dollars oil companies spend on R&D I would be sceptic why they don't sell it themselves or include it in their high grade oils. Therefore I am extremely sceptic to this.

I guess the additives could even have a negative effect depending on the chemistry of the oil you use it with.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
IMO with the millions of dollars oil companies spend on R&D I would be sceptic why they don't sell it themselves or include it in their high grade oils. Therefore I am extremely sceptic to this.
Not necessarily true.... the design of these oils, like anything complex, is a series of tradeoffs to meet customer expectations, legal compliance, and most importantly, do it at the lowest cost to produce. Further, customers, like Porsche, may not be willing to pay.... making something up here.... 25% more when the cheaper stuff meets their design objectives. Just because Mobil 1 can be made better does not mean Mobil will do it or car manufactures even want it. Given their massive volumes, shaving a penny or two per quart pays for alot of executive's swimming pools.

These threads on oil additives are pretty ubiquitous and I don't mean to rehash the same stuff. I should have been more specific...... Boron in oil? Dealers using additives? Jay Leno promoting additives?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Pick a quality oil. Change it every year and every 5,000 miles or so. Do UOAs if you like that stuff. Don't over think it. No oil additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Munkustrap (08-03-2024)
Old 04-26-2015, 06:29 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Oil additives ? Snake oil, over thinking?

I'd view this today, its an Archoil piece on Jay Leno's Garage website ..... innocent enough. Snake oil?
I tend to agree with the time honored practice: Change the oil within a reasonable time/mileage and that's All She Wrote...

A search brought up this very thread ...

http://www.archoilcart.com Nano technology and oil meet......

+1 Agreed
Originally Posted by LexVan
Pick a quality oil. Change it every year and every 5,000 miles or so. Do UOAs if you like that stuff. Don't over think it. No oil additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Oil additives.... Jay Leno, Boron, Teflon

Ok ok, before you jump down my throat about putting anything but yadda yadda into our precious Porsches..... let's try and keep this constructive.

Additives appeal to me given that I intend to keep my car "forever" and use it as a daily driver. I would still have that Boxster S if I didn't blow that 2nd engine. Small improvements today, could pay dividends 200K miles down the road. Opinions?

Some items:

1 - Jay Leno ran a piece on Archoil oil and fuel additives. He mentioned some restorers need something more than today's lite oils and need these additives mentioning wearing out cams... Archoil uses Boron that adds a barrier.
Jay Leno: Nano Lubrication - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube
Archoil:http://www.archoilcart.com/ar9100-8-...-modifier.aspx

2 - Whatever happend to Krex oil additives? My old Datsun dealer used to add a bottle at every oil change to my 280ZX turbo. I thought the stuff was teflon, but their website shows it as graphite... hmmm..... The dealer liked it. http://krexinc.com/products/

To be totally honest, I have nothing against additives.... I am wary of snake oil but just because there is some snake oil out there doesn't mean you can't improve something. Mobil 1 is not a bad product but I do believe it can be improved upon..... of course another question is this necessary. Obviously just an opinion here with no science.

The only additive I use at the moment is Chevron's Techron once in a while.... nope I can't tell a difference.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

IIRC you blend/mix a couple of different oils to arrive as some magical concoction of an oil for your car's engine. And now you want to play with additives?

I didn't say anything earlier but my info is the oil's additive package is very critical to the oil's performance.

By blending oils you compromise the additive package and I dare say the oil you end up, the oil your engine ends up with, is a sub-par oil.

My advice to you is forget about any oil additives and pick a good oil and stop that blending business.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
IIRC you blend/mix a couple of different oils to arrive as some magical concoction of an oil for your car's engine. And now you want to play with additives?

I didn't say anything earlier but my info is the oil's additive package is very critical to the oil's performance.

By blending oils you compromise the additive package and I dare say the oil you end up, the oil your engine ends up with, is a sub-par oil.

My advice to you is forget about any oil additives and pick a good oil and stop that blending business.
No, I never blended. I would add heavier Mobil 1 as my Boxster got older but no, I never blended. When Porsche went to 0 weight Mobil 1... I think that was around 2004 or so..... the dealer started using it. But as my car aged, I went back to the originally recommended weight and then later a bit heavier. I used only Mobil 1 in that car(blew two engines! Wanna do some wild speculation on that one?!!). I would swear I would get spotting on the floor when there was 0 weight and less with heavier.... but no one believes me on that one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-26-2015, 09:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

This:

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
... additives could even have a negative effect depending on the chemistry of the oil you use it with.
and this:

Originally Posted by LexVan
Pick a quality oil. Change it every year and every 5,000 miles or so. ...
Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think those additives, would only be potentially beneficial to OLDER engines, when they were designed to work with a different kind of oil. I don't believe it's at all needed for a modern engine and nothing beats regular oil change. Even they particularly talked mostly about older engines and generators, NOT modern engines!

However, I think gas treatment is a different story. I use 0% ethanol gas here in BC, and whenever I travel to WA and have to use gas with ethanol, car noticeably works a lot worse, I lose power, timing gets worse and just everything stops running smoothly. So, I'd say whatever you can do to improve the crappy gas would provide some benefit. Albeit, who knows if the claims of this company are true...
Old 04-27-2015, 01:08 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

However, I think gas treatment is a different story. I use 0% ethanol gas here in BC, and whenever I travel to WA and have to use gas with ethanol, car noticeably works a lot worse, I lose power, timing gets worse and just everything stops running smoothly. So, I'd say whatever you can do to improve the crappy gas would provide some benefit. Albeit, who knows if the claims of this company are true...
Ethanol has less intrinsic energy and MPG suffers but E10 does not suffer from lower octane as ethanol is an octane booster. What is your octane level in Vancouver? In the PNW you find mostly 91 and even so your car's ECU should adjust perfectly. In the US buy from Chevron, Shell or Union 76.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
.... I used only Mobil 1 in that car(blew two engines! Wanna do some wild speculation on that one?!!). I would swear I would get spotting on the floor when there was 0 weight and less with heavier.... but no one believes me on that one.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I believe you.
Porsche went from 0W-40 to 10W-60 (designed in Weissach formula) for 1984 - 1998 pretty much overnight March 31/April 1, 2014. Two (2) viscosity grades up, no explanations, nothing technical to explain to their own customers why such a dramatic and sudden change.

A quality nano technology additive will actually improve every single engine oil boundary and mixed state of lubrication. No exception.

Every single oil formulation is a compromise between performance, price, supply and demand for group 4 and 5 base stocks and most importantly the additives. All approved formulas are "locked" to very specific additive packs and must not be changed without manufacturers' re-approval.

Nano technology has been very successfully employed in Milllers CFS NT formulations for a number of years with nothing but spectacular results. I've used them for last 3 years. Never looked back, never go back to "no nano" lubricants.
YMMV of course
Cheers,
=L=
Munkustrap (08-03-2024)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Ethanol has less intrinsic energy and MPG suffers but E10 does not suffer from lower octane as ethanol is an octane booster. What is your octane level in Vancouver? In the PNW you find mostly 91 and even so your car's ECU should adjust perfectly. In the US buy from Chevron, Shell or Union 76.
I usually use Chevron 0% ethanol 94 Octane gas. Only offered locally here.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe worry about this one, with the reduction of ZDDP (effective antiwear compound) in motor oils because of environmental issues, promotion of catalytic converter longevity, and the fact modern engines have roller camshaft tappets and do not need it.
Guess whose modern engine does not have roller camshaft tappets?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
Nano technology has been very successfully employed in Milllers CFS NT formulations for a number of years with nothing but spectacular results. I've used them for last 3 years. Never looked back, never go back to "no nano" lubricants.

=L=
disclaimer that you distribute the stuff?

no additives for me.

0w-40 in the winter, 5w-50 in the summer
Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here: Do yourself a favor and search MILITEC Especially useful for cars that are not daily users and are subject to cold/dry starts. A well documented answer to your question. I swear by it, am not associated with manu....etc. Do the research.

Quick Reply: Oil additives.... Boron, Teflon, Jay Leno