Sponsored by:

Very noisy when first starting 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM
petes1966
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very noisy when first starting 997.1 TT

A couple of times recently, my '07 997 TT has been really rattle-y when I first started it. First time this lasted for about a second, today for about 3 seconds. After that, it dropped back to normal, and the car ran fine. It sounded like a loose chain maybe, so I wondered if perhaps there was a sticky tensioner? Any ideas?

ta

pete S
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by petes1966
A couple of times recently, my '07 997 TT has been really rattle-y when I first started it. First time this lasted for about a second, today for about 3 seconds. After that, it dropped back to normal, and the car ran fine. It sounded like a loose chain maybe, so I wondered if perhaps there was a sticky tensioner? Any ideas?

ta

pete S
Ask in the turbo forum too - different engines.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM
flat666
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be normal tappet (valve lifter) noise. As the car sits oil slowly bleeds down from the tappets, and upon restart there is some noise as the pressure/wear compensation builds up again. It'll be especially noticeable if its cold out. also, jhbrennan is right. you should ask there too
Old 01-08-2015, 06:29 PM
pmt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petes1966

ta

pete S
I've been meaning to ask about this identical situation as it happens also to my 997.1 C4S, which has the 3.8 litre motor (about 12,000 miles on the car), under the same circumstances. Can get very loud, enough to draw the attention of neighbors, and not in a good way! I too would like to know the answer to this query. Thanks for asking, pete S.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by pmt
I've been meaning to ask about this identical situation as it happens also to my 997.1 C4S, which has the 3.8 litre motor (about 12,000 miles on the car), under the same circumstances. Can get very loud, enough to draw the attention of neighbors, and not in a good way! I too would like to know the answer to this query. Thanks for asking, pete S.
If you are referring to the loud exhaust sound in your case (without the metallic rattle that OP mentioned), then this is normal behavior when the car is cold. During initial warmup of a cold Porsche, the ECU makes the fuel mixture much richer than normal to heat up the catalytic converters much faster than they would otherwise - providing a net improvement in emissions. A side effect of this extra fuel is it causes a louder initial exhaust tone. If you wait for the idle to drop to its normal level before moving away (and you can easily tell by the reduction in sound that occurs in typically less than a minute), the car is much quieter when you drive away.

Quick Reply: Very noisy when first starting 997.1 TT