Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An unexpected spirited drive with a 991... video inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015 | 05:50 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrakingBad

I agreed with another poster that it likely contributed after we both watched the same video that showed the damage resulting from a head-on collision between a white truck and a rare ruf turbo on a road with a double yellow line. It is difficult for that to happen without a vehicle crossing the double yellow line.
Funny, I thought missing a turn entirely would do that... yes, a vehicle would be crossing the double line, but that's not the cause, but rather the effect. In fact, if you want to get really technical, someone driving across the yellow line would have a better sightline to the degree / severity of the turn and be able to slow down sooner, avoiding a collision (NOT that im advocating for that, but technically it could have avoided a collision in this instance if the cause was excessive speed into a turn). Again, just going to cause and effect, rather than semantics.

We clearly have different views on the severity of the transgression in this (OP video) instance, and perhaps overall. You have a great car, are another enthusiast, and have a commendable view against dangerous driving. I think you are going a bit too far with saying anyone would call that first video definitely reckless, but let's agree to disagree on that. I prefer to avoid speculation on the crash and hope everyone comes away with a positive lesson, and thankfully no severe injuries. Disagreements make this forum more interesting and I appreciate a lively debate but don't want it to become needlessly personal.
Old 01-12-2015 | 11:10 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto

Juha...you started off defending what is clearly careless driving and then moderated your comments when people started to pile on. I know you said we can all agree to disagree but once a life is lost...is that what you'll tell the family that has lost a loved one?
That's not what happened! My first impression was that there was nothing reckless in the OPs video and felt some of the comments were a but ridiculous. (I still think so). Of course it is hard to say what is safe and what is not when you don't know the speeds etc. but to me it did not look like he was pushing the car at all. Just driving a bit faster than normal.
The only careless act was constantly going over the double yellow...allthough I did not see any moment in the video where the OP did that in a dangerous place. (again, not very easy to see in the video but that's how it looked to me).

I think it is far more reckless to drive as fast as you can (on the limit of adhesion) staying in your lane than going much slower and crossing the yellow line ever so slightly at places. So whoever suggests he could've easily carried more speed still staying on his lane; true that but a lot more dangerous IMHO.

Last edited by Juha G; 01-12-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2015 | 11:11 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Funny, I thought missing a turn entirely would do that... yes, a vehicle would be crossing the double line, but that's not the cause, but rather the effect. In fact, if you want to get really technical, someone driving across the yellow line would have a better sightline to the degree / severity of the turn and be able to slow down sooner, avoiding a collision (NOT that im advocating for that, but technically it could have avoided a collision in this instance if the cause was excessive speed into a turn). Again, just going to cause and effect, rather than semantics.

We clearly have different views on the severity of the transgression in this (OP video) instance, and perhaps overall. You have a great car, are another enthusiast, and have a commendable view against dangerous driving. I think you are going a bit too far with saying anyone would call that first video definitely reckless, but let's agree to disagree on that. I prefer to avoid speculation on the crash and hope everyone comes away with a positive lesson, and thankfully no severe injuries. Disagreements make this forum more interesting and I appreciate a lively debate but don't want it to become needlessly personal.
I agree 997%
Old 01-12-2015 | 11:21 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I can't resist ... so we are saying the 991 is so much better than the 997 that it can easily avoid the road debris while staying in lane and the 997 can't? I've got to trade up, I guess!!!

Getting into the other lane may give a longer sight line on right hand turns, but it would do the opposite on left hand turns.

Just saying ...
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:13 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Aren't we over-analysing this thread? Just my thinking.
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Aren't we over-analysing this thread? Just my thinking.
+ 1
Old 01-14-2015 | 10:37 AM
robh75
Instructor

I have been on the cyclist side of someone crossing the yellow around a corner. I was forced to bail off the road and ended up flipping head over heels on the bike. It was probably the scariest experience I've had on a bike. Even a minor line cross of an oncoming speeding car on a curve can cause a cyclist to take evasive action from reflexes alone. I bet the cyclist in the video would think it is reckless and scary seeing a car speeding and crossing the line when coming toward him. Crossing the line at intentionally low speed when passing cyclists is entirely different and not reckless. In this video it was reckless though.

Last edited by robh75; 01-14-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2015 | 11:21 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spirited drive in my Lexus LS 460 and a Ferrari 458 white came around the corner in the middle of the road. Very near miss
Old 01-14-2015 | 11:45 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

I think we are arguing this from different point of views.

Crossing the yellow line seems to be a big issue for some people here. And granted it is very stupid thing to do in a blind corner. But again, I didn't see any of that in the video.

If I were the cyclist in the video, would be I be more worried if the oncoming car was speeding 2x the speed limit, tires screaming in his lane...? Yes I would.
So don't be a hypocrite and tell me he could've gone faster and still stayed on his lane.

To me crossing the yellow line just slightly is not that big of an issue if there is good space and good visibility. Doing it so that half of you car is in the wrong lane and especially through a blind corner is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

Problem with saying that crossing a yellow line by an inch is reckless driving is that you run out of things to say when the driver is truly reckless (see above).

But I think this is all subjective and the video is not very good. Doesn't really tell about the speed etc.

I still stand by my first reaction/comment; there is nothing reckless in the video. Bad driving sure, but not reckless.

And I can also understand why many here would disagree.
Old 01-15-2015 | 10:33 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Juha, this is a wonderfully humble post and I too believe that (for the most part), this matter has been beaten down, oftentimes from similar positions.

As I suggested early on, while the frequent double-line crossing in the OP's video wasn't necessarily egregious or reckless, it was the result of lazy driving and demonstrated the OP's lack of 911 seat time. My sense is that these vehicles are not built for lazy drivers especially in light of the 991's pilot's abilities to stay on the right side of the road.

Furthermore, I've noticed a substantial uptick recently in the SF Bay Area with all types of vehicles to cut all types of bends / turns in the roads and cross over the double yellow. I've seen many close calls, had to hug the right edge of the road on numerous occasions and I've instructed my family to be extra cautious, especially during the weekends when bike traffic increases.

Thanks for your insight and here is to good driving!

Originally Posted by Juha G
I think we are arguing this from different point of views.

Crossing the yellow line seems to be a big issue for some people here. And granted it is very stupid thing to do in a blind corner. But again, I didn't see any of that in the video.

If I were the cyclist in the video, would be I be more worried if the oncoming car was speeding 2x the speed limit, tires screaming in his lane...? Yes I would.
So don't be a hypocrite and tell me he could've gone faster and still stayed on his lane.

To me crossing the yellow line just slightly is not that big of an issue if there is good space and good visibility. Doing it so that half of you car is in the wrong lane and especially through a blind corner is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

Problem with saying that crossing a yellow line by an inch is reckless driving is that you run out of things to say when the driver is truly reckless (see above).

But I think this is all subjective and the video is not very good. Doesn't really tell about the speed etc.

I still stand by my first reaction/comment; there is nothing reckless in the video. Bad driving sure, but not reckless.

And I can also understand why many here would disagree.
Old 01-17-2015 | 04:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

+911

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
+ 1

Quick Reply: An unexpected spirited drive with a 991... video inside