Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help: Right side rear mirror keep turning itself up whenever I stopped driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Help: Right side rear mirror keep turning itself up whenever I stopped driving

it's a 997.1 car, the right side rear mirror kept turning itself up(default setting?) whenever I stopped driving and turned off the engine, so next time getting on the car first thing I do is to turn it down. Not a big thing but sometimes I forgot to do it result in a ' all thumbs' situation when I was trying to change to the right lane on highway and couldn't see anything from right rear mirror before adjusting it...

Feel like a naughty kid teasing me... Anyone have similar experience?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ciphercong
it's a 997.1 car, the right side rear mirror kept turning itself up(default setting?) whenever I stopped driving and turned off the engine, so next time getting on the car first thing I do is to turn it down. Not a big thing but sometimes I forgot to do it result in a ' all thumbs' situation when I was trying to change to the right lane on highway and couldn't see anything from right rear mirror before adjusting it...

Feel like a naughty kid teasing me... Anyone have similar experience?
Do you have memory seats? Read your owner's manual - about page 37 regarding seat memory - seat memory also retains passenger side mirror lowering position. You must not have that set properly.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:04 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Do you have memory seats? Read your owner's manual - about page 37 regarding seat memory - seat memory also retains passenger side mirror lowering position. You must not have that set properly.
Yes I do, what you said makes sense to me.. I will read that and see how I can set it up correctly.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

The right mirror lowers when you go into reverse so you can see the wheel and not scrub it on the curb. How far it lowers can be set as well. But it only lowers if you have the mirror selector switch set to the right side.

Note ... I have noticed the left mirror adjust if I have the switch set to the left side, and neither mirror adjust if the switch is centered. I speak from 997.2 experience. Your 997.1 may be different.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

I think the previous posts are correct, and here is why: I'm guessing you have a manual transmission and put the car in reverse gear when you turn it off. This triggers the movement to the preset reversing position which just happens to be set to up in your car.

Note that the movement to the reverse preset only happens if the mirror control is turned to select the right mirror, in any other position it is disabled. Since you have to readjust the right mirror each time you get in, you leave it turned to the right all of the time, therefore it is always enabled.

You can therefore quickly test to see if this explains your problem by simply turning the adjustment **** away from your right mirror and see if it stops happening. Assuming it stops, you adjust your preset as described in the manual as jhbrennan recommended and leave the mirror setting turned away from that mirror unless you want the setting that allows you to see the curb when parking and backing up.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Right side rear mirror keep turning itself up whenever I stopped driving