Intermittent 997.2 convertible top failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 AM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent 997.2 convertible top failure

Hi,

For the past year, i have had intermittent covertible top failure where the top will either not open or not close depending on when the issue occurs. It happens 2-3 times a month and goes away after i leave the car parked for a day or two.

I have taken the car to the dealer to get issue fixed, but they are not able to reproduce the issue and also examination of components has not revealed any specific issue.

After leaving the car at the dealer for a few days (where they could not reproduce the issue). As soon as i drove home, the issue occured. Dealer is 40 miles away and they were closed when issue occured.

So, as things stand right now, I still have the issue and no real solution. I did capture a video of issue. Here is a link to it.

If anyone has experienced an issue like this and knows a solution to the problem, please let me know.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Exact same problem here. I have an '06 997.1 C2S. Repeated warnings... took it to the dealer (90 miles away) and they could not replicate the problem. Next morning... you guessed it... same warning...

Sorry I can't offer any guidance, but I am all ears.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The control module is easily accessible. Look for the installation videos for the SmarTop and it will show you how. You might try connecting and disconnecting the harness to the controller to see if this makes a difference.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 PM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

kcheves: Can you please post a bit more info on what controller you are referring to?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Shot in the dark here--I am assuming that the car has a sensor that tells the PCM when the sheet metal door is fully open and the convertible top mechanism can begin its movement. If the door is opening but the top is not moving, this sensor is probably at fault.

The sensors are a known problem item. My car will occasionally give me that first warning (convertible top is not in limit position, or whatever that says) while I'm driving. It will go away if I cycle the top partway up or down. Since your car isn't even moving the top, I'd say the problem lies with that sensor.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonblackcab
kcheves: Can you please post a bit more info on what controller you are referring to?
You can see it in the SmarTop installation instructions here
Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

I had this problem right when I bought my car in 2005. Newport Porsche claimed it was a faulty window regulator. They blame everything on this at first. It must be an easy pay day from the factory. I called BS and told them to do a full adjustment of the top to issue everything was in the right place. It never failed after that. No regulator was replaced. Mine was also temperature sensitive. Hot days fail and cooler temps no issue or was it the other way around.... not sure it's been awhile. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

Thank you all for responding. I will ask dealer to investigate the sensors.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Did you guys notice the temperature on the dash? It is frickin 0 degrees here!!!

Sorry to go off topic OP, My cab has a tarp on it, and that has never happened, will be following , in case this summer mine starts.

PS nice car.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:17 PM
chuckla
Racer

Warm day here yesterday so hit my key to open the top (probably for the first time in 3+ months) with my 6 year old SmartTop install. No response. Tried the factory button between the seat, which worked only if I held the button. Not too handy so would appreciate any thoughts on the most likely culprit and how to proceed. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
Warm day here yesterday so hit my key to open the top (probably for the first time in 3+ months) with my 6 year old SmartTop install. No response. Tried the factory button between the seat, which worked only if I held the button. Not too handy so would appreciate any thoughts on the most likely culprit and how to proceed. Thanks.
It sounds like the smart top module isn't working or has been disabled. Try entering the programing mode and try to toggle the module on/off. Also consider taking a look at the original install of the module for any visible problems. You can also try contacting mods4cars, I hear they can be pretty helpful when problems arise.

Ken
Old 10-05-2023, 03:52 PM
irontmp
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonblackcab
Hi,

For the past year, i have had intermittent covertible top failure where the top will either not open or not close depending on when the issue occurs. It happens 2-3 times a month and goes away after i leave the car parked for a day or two.

I have taken the car to the dealer to get issue fixed, but they are not able to reproduce the issue and also examination of components has not revealed any specific issue.

After leaving the car at the dealer for a few days (where they could not reproduce the issue) mobile welding atlanta. As soon as i drove home, the issue occured. Dealer is 40 miles away and they were closed when issue occured.

So, as things stand right now, I still have the issue and no real solution. I did capture a video of issue. Here is a link to it.

If anyone has experienced an issue like this and knows a solution to the problem, please let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZrG...er&app=desktop
A new to me 04 is having an issue 90% of the time when opening the top. I usually have to help lift the front bow up just a bit before the hydraulic system will activate. Judging from work on an E85, it seems like there is insufficient tention on the frame for the locks to lift out of the sockets when fully unlocked. The lock motor does sound like it's strugging a bit.

Any advice is greatly appriciated. After rebuilidng the 6HP26 valve body, this is the last mechanical issue to resolve.

Quick Reply: Intermittent 997.2 convertible top failure