Sponsored by:

Belt Pulley Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
OK, this is the second time I've seen you mention your voltmeter. I know of no such animal on my 2010 C4S, although I would love to see the analog speedometer replaced with a dual gauge voltmeter and ammeter!

Is the TT different? Did you add a voltmeter? Are you using a voltmeter at the battery? Are you referring to an idiot light?

Just curious, since to me the importance of gauges goes from oil pressure to oil temperature (both of these gauges are hidden by the steering wheel and require head manipulation) to the tach to the (missing) voltmeter. Yeah, I think the Porsche instrument cluster could be improved!

If you have added a voltmeter I would love to know how you did this.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
My 996 Turbo has a voltmeter (battery voltage?) gage that is stock equipment with the Turbo.

I agree the vehicle's instrumentation is less than ideal. I would very much prefer oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, battery voltage, tach, and speed. Also for the Turbo a boost gage and oh, I like an outside temperature reading, too. These last two are available via the OBC though not simultaneously. However, I seldom require boost pressure while I find the outside temperature more interesting especially on long trips as I note the changes in temperature as I cover the miles and experience changes in altitude and changing weather conditions.

Unfortunately such detailed instrumentation is most often noted by its absence.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Thanks Macster. Now I've got gauge envy!

I guess I'll put a digital readout in the cavity in front of the gear shifter. A wire to the switched side in the fuse box should be easy enough. I'm past the age of building a full new instrument cluster to fit my wants, especially with all of the computer interface. But the voltmeter just seems like a blatant omission!

Quick Reply: Belt Pulley Upgrade