Sponsored by:

A little embarrased to ask: Changing the Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A little embarrased to ask: Changing the Battery

As with all cars - there's always something to consider.

I need to change the battery on my new to me 997. Before just changing it and having some oddball Porshce thing happen (ya know - where you say that you wish you had read the forum first) I figured I would ask. I used the search function and came up with nothing...

Is there any oddball thing that I need to consider - or can I just get a battery and replace the one thats in there now?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Replacing the battery is easy with no special concerns. You can get an H7 battery at Walmart ( that's what I did). Just check the date of manufacture ( printed or sticker on top of the battery). You will want one that is less that six months old.

You may want to charge the battery before installing it. Remove the old batter and install the new one making sure the vent tube is hooked up and follow all standard safety practices. Standing in the trunk makes the process much easier.

There will be two minor procedures to carry out. (1) Re-set the windows by closing them, opeing them and closing them again until the the limit switch is activated ( it's in the manual). (2) There will be an error warning for the PSM. Simply turn the steering wheel all the way left and then right. The drive the car straight for about a 1000 feet and you will then be all set.

Finally, do not replace the battery if you are planning to get the car inspected by the state within a few days as any fault codes will have been cleared and the car will need to be driven for a few days under different circumstances before the the systems will indicate they are " ready". ( give yourself a week to be safe)...... that's it!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Replacing the battery is easy with no special concerns. You can get an H7 battery at Walmart ( that's what I did). Just check the date of manufacture ( printed or sticker on top of the battery). You will want one that is less that six months old.

You may want to charge the battery before installing it. Remove the old batter and install the new one making sure the vent tube is hooked up and follow all standard safety practices. Standing in the trunk makes the process much easier.

There will be two minor procedures to carry out. (1) Re-set the windows by closing them, opeing them and closing them again until the the limit switch is activated ( it's in the manual). (2) There will be an error warning for the PSM. Simply turn the steering wheel all the way left and then right. The drive the car straight for about a 1000 feet and you will then be all set.

Finally, do not replace the battery if you are planning to get the car inspected by the state within a few days as any fault codes will have been cleared and the car will need to be driven for a few days under different circumstances before the the systems will indicate they are " ready". ( give yourself a week to be safe)...... that's it!
^^^There you go.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:07 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

And while you have the old battery out, take some time to clean out the leaves, etc. that find their way in there and clean the battery tray.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Hogwild
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace battery

I looked in the manual and couldnt find any special instructions on replacing the battery other than simple common sense, no special instructions were added? Where might I find these special things to do in the book,under what category? 2011 carrera 911s. Thanks for any help
Old 12-27-2014, 03:18 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The most important thing is to not put the new battery in backwards. It may seem silly to say, but the terminals are not well marked and it has happened to others before.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogwild
I looked in the manual and couldnt find any special instructions on replacing the battery other than simple common sense, no special instructions were added? Where might I find these special things to do in the book,under what category? 2011 carrera 911s. Thanks for any help
Look in the index in your manual under Battery - replacing and putting vehicle into operation - about page 263 on. It's all there.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Also, if you have a trickle charge and hook it up it will supply enough power so that the ECU will not "know" that the power has been interupted. At least that's what my Indy did when he changed my battery and there were no fault codes or resets required. (Yeah, I know it seems lame to have an Indy change a battery but there is no way I wanted to risk wrenching by back. I bought the battry from him and I think gave him $25 for his trouble - well worth not being in pain for a week.) Anyway, don't forget to hook up the cables to the proper terminals and ground, etc, etc. etc.. I recall horror stories I read here from people who made these simple mistakes.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

I almost made the charger suggestion (battery maintainer into one of the outlets) but then balked. It's a great idea as long as you don't short the cables (like touch them both to frame) when you change the battery. But when you change the battery you release the cables to put the new battery in. You lose control of what they touch. Some pieces of card board or rags may save you from replacing a fuse and then resetting you windows.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
The most important thing is to not put the new battery in backwards. It may seem silly to say, but the terminals are not well marked and it has happened to others before.

Yes, I did that. Blew the fuse on the back of the radio. Took me three weeks to find out there was a fuse on the back of the radio. So much fun.

Quick Reply: A little embarrased to ask: Changing the Battery