997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question re squirming under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014 | 11:54 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Let me send a note to Tirerack and ask them. Years ago I was in the tire biz so my knowledge comes from more than just reading up. Professional experience and then personal experience from my wifes car.

Without getting too technical, I used to think the same thing, that XL rated tires are typically for heavier loads, passengers, luggage, etc as you describe but think about it, our size tires are unusual except for typically Sports Cars, Performance cars so what loads would our cars be carrying. The only load would be performance oriented. Taking corners at high speeds, putting the sidewalls at significant stress. XL provides more stability. I read your link about mixing fronts/rears but that makes no sense to me. Stay tuned.

Originally Posted by Windy Water Boy
Thanks for the comments. However, I don't fully follow the logic for requiring XL both front and back on a 911 - as I see it XL is typically prescribed for heavy axle loads such as a full complement of people and luggage in a station wagon / engine slung out the back in a 911. However a 911 front is lightly loaded - the only issue is the high speed. However I am very happy to be corrected by any tire experts out there )

The tyre manufacturers' websites seem ambiguous too:

The Michelin UK website recommends Pilot Sports with normal rating at the front and XL rating at the rear:
http://m.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michel...1-531615-49604

The Michelin Canada site recommends Pilot Super Sport with XL for both front and rear.
http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selector...t/tire-details

But the same site recommends standard load front, XL rear for the Pilot Sport PS2

Either the different models of tires have different characteristics and hence different load requirements for the front tires, OR the guys who set up the websites aren't too precise with the details........

And the Pirelli website doesn't mention XL for either front or rear, so I guess that useful detail didn't make it into their website configurator matrix....
Old 12-29-2014 | 02:52 AM
Windy Water Boy
Track Day

Thanks pkancel - awaiting feedback with interest.....
Old 12-29-2014 | 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by DC911S
One of my wheels was refinished by the dealer prior to my purchase of the car. Now that's not the same as fixing a bent wheel or other major damage.
Refinishing is different from repair. AFAIK Porsche has no issues with refinishing wheels. In fact, I had one of my Turbo wheels sent out for refinishing after it got scuffed up from an encounter with a mule deer. I do not know how this came out as the wheel refinishing shop ruined the wheel and had to buy me a new one. Turbo hollow spoke wheels are not cheap so that was an expensive mistake.
Old 12-29-2014 | 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Well, at the risk of creating a tire flame war the only authority on tires for these cars is Porsche.

While some owners stray off the tire reservation and fit non N-rated tires or mix and match tires based on some imagined expertise in this field or just simply to save money, there have been enough reports by owners who have strayed off the tire reservation of car road feel/handling issues to reinforce my belief that staying with sanctioned tires is the only way to go.

Sure, you might stumble on a tire combo at your first attempt that delivers acceptable road feel/handling but you might end up going through a number of tires before you are successful.

Not to pick on you but you were remiss in when you were looking at the car to fail to insist upon having a proper set of matched N-rated tires fitted as part of the car purchase.
Old 12-29-2014 | 01:56 PM
Windy Water Boy
Track Day

Having now checked the handbook (along the lines of "if all else fails, read the instructions..."), Porsche only recommend XL for the rear tires, not for the front.

The tires currently fitted are exactly in line with the recommendations for a C2S, so I hesitate to conclude that the tire specs are the reason for the swaying. Dealer trip for a checkup being lined up for this week....
Old 12-30-2014 | 08:33 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Windy, I sent a note to Tirerack, both a PM and posted in their forum but no response, they must all be on vacation.
Old 12-31-2014 | 04:14 AM
Windy Water Boy
Track Day

Thanks pkancel - awaiting feedback
Old 12-31-2014 | 07:07 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

If your car is swaying so bad it's hard to control, I would have it checked out right away. Minor swaying from mismatched or worn tires is possible, but usually minor. Bad swaying may be mechanical and needs to be checked out ASAP.

Check your air pressure also. It should be at 36 front and 44 rear.

Your present load ratings are OK. OEM N2 P -Zeros have a service description of 87Y front and 100Y rear. Load ratings can (and usually do) vary if the two tires are a different size. As a measure of reference, so are the OEM Michelin PS2's. There are several versions of the P-Zero in each size. Are yours both N rated? I'm curious what kind of tread depth measurement difference there is between the front and rear tires. Worn tires on one axle and new tires on the other have sometimes presented handling issues because of the tread squirm differences between the two.
Old 12-31-2014 | 08:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I and most track there cares with NON "N Spec" tires. My street tires are Yokohama Advan AD08R which I got from Damon at Tire Rack and I've won Autocross' with them and they also are NON "N Spec" tires.

Totally safe!

The Yokohama AD08R are awesome tires for a sports car. Yokohama just didn't pay the high money fee and submit tires to Porsche for testing is all. The Yoko's specs are right in line with N Spec tires.

This is true with a hand full of non n spec tires like Bridgestone RE-11, Michelin Super Sports...so forth
Old 01-01-2015 | 10:30 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, at the risk of creating a tire flame war the only authority on tires for these cars is Porsche.

While some owners stray off the tire reservation and fit non N-rated tires or mix and match tires based on some imagined expertise in this field or just simply to save money, there have been enough reports by owners who have strayed off the tire reservation of car road feel/handling issues to reinforce my belief that staying with sanctioned tires is the only way to go.

Sure, you might stumble on a tire combo at your first attempt that delivers acceptable road feel/handling but you might end up going through a number of tires before you are successful.

Not to pick on you but you were remiss in when you were looking at the car to fail to insist upon having a proper set of matched N-rated tires fitted as part of the car purchase.
Having owned a number of Porsches, my favorite tires have typically been non-N spec. Do you really believe that Porsche tests brand new tire designs on a 16 year old 996 or 10 year old 997 to insure that the tires maintain "original quality of ride and handling"? Or that these cars are so unique that they require special tires? But if it's worth paying double for a little N on your sidewall, it's your money......
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:11 PM
Windy Water Boy
Track Day

Thanks to all who replied for your sage advice - much appreciated.

Took the car into the Porsche dealership who checked the car over - all is fine with suspension etc except for a screw in each rear tyre causing slow punctures and hence major swaying under acceleration.

Punctures repaired and had a great fast drive with friends on some awesome deserted desert mountain roads at the weekend - car behaved faultlessly even under full acceleration, and now time to swap the Pirelli P-Zeros for some Michelin PS2s (shame the SSs would invalidate the P warranty)
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:14 PM
Windy Water Boy
Track Day

Old 01-14-2015 | 04:09 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Windy Water Boy
Hello all, as a new Rennlist member I've really appreciated the comments on various issues while I was doing research, and am the new owner of a lovely 2009 997.2 C2S with loads of toys.

Asking for help please with suggestions as to why the car is squirming/swaying from side to side a lot under moderate to firm acceleration. This is happening even on straight pretty even roads. I had thought it may be down to tire pressure or road camber, but even after checking pressures and running on flat 6 lane roads it is still happening. However at constant high-ish speeds there is no swaying at all.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks
Brakes !!!

Your car, undoubtedly, is equipped with a "virtual" LSD system that uses differential braking to abate left or right only wheelspin. Time constant of PSM/ECU brake application/release is critical. Sticking brake caliper(s), wrong brake pads, brake fluid?
Old 01-14-2015 | 05:36 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by jem7v
I think you all are maybe over interrupting and exaggerating his swaying issue. This sound like simple torque steer off launch which is EXTREMELY common with the 911s. When you floor the gas and the tires aren't warm they do a little squrriel dance.
"Torque Steer" is for FWD cars...
Old 01-14-2015 | 05:37 PM
Crester
Pro

Is this not as simple as the rear is "squirming" because you are breaking traction on the rear tires under acceleration?

Quick Reply: Newbie question re squirming under acceleration