Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Valentine SAVVY unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014 | 12:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone using Valentine SAVVY unit?

Sounds like a nice idea muting under a certain speed. I have a 2009 C2S.... any compatibility issues? Seems worth it to me...

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Valentine just sent out an email blast advertising an update for existing detectors. Apparently they have found a way to eliminate the k-band false alarms caused by other vehicles which I believe is the bulk of what we are seeing. Might be a better investment than Saavy
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Valentine just sent out an email blast advertising an update for existing detectors. Apparently they have found a way to eliminate the k-band false alarms caused by other vehicles which I believe is the bulk of what we are seeing. Might be a better investment than Saavy
Thanx.... you hit a nerve.... there is more to my story.

My current unit, a vintage crica 2000 model is giving me problems:

1 - Norhtern NJ where I am driving lately, is evil. It is evil for many reasons, but one is that my V1 falses so much I feel it is becoming ineffective. I use it in Logic mode.... I think you may have hit the issue about other vehicles so I am looking to upgrade/trade in the unit. For me, it is $279 for the trade up program.
2 - I am getting a ton of laser falsing. The unit always would be triggered by LED tail lights or by rain and wiper flashing sunlight, or sun flashing through trees as the car skipped through the shadows. But now it is getting crazy... something went wrong and I can't use the unit at night. I think they quoted me about $50 to repair.

They repaired the unit about 10 years ago.... it was radar falsing like crazy and ran really hot to the touch.... Valentine has great service, fast... top notch company.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:50 PM
Psymon
Racer

I'm using it. Yes, it's great to be able to mute it automactically when under certain speed. partially in city traffic where there are many false alarm. But on highways, the false alarm caused by the traffic monitoring systems, radar detector and sensors from other cars are still very annoying.

Afshin - is the upgrade available for only from certain serial number onwards only? Thx
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:25 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

I use the Savvy and really like it. However, here in the rural south, we are moving into the twentieth century and I get more and more false alarms from K band along the roads I travel. I received the update email from Valentine, but haven't checked my serial number yet.
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:54 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

For upgrade info: https://store.valentine1.com/Upgrades/GoUpgrades.asp

$199 for my unit. Not sure it's worth it.
Old 12-22-2014 | 02:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
I'm using it. Yes, it's great to be able to mute it automactically when under certain speed. partially in city traffic where there are many false alarm. But on highways, the false alarm caused by the traffic monitoring systems, radar detector and sensors from other cars are still very annoying.

Afshin - is the upgrade available for only from certain serial number onwards only? Thx
S/N: 1179 and higher already have the feature built in and you simply need to go through the procedure. Older units will come at a price, I haven't checked mine yet but I definitely will.

I have a bigger issue with my V1, my new Volvo uses laser as a means of emergency braking/accident avoidance measures and the laser goes off constantly on th V1. My V1 is sitting on the shelf at the moment and I was seriously debating to sell it since I really can't use it. I may email V1 to determine if they have a solution for this.
Old 12-22-2014 | 02:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have a bigger issue with my V1, my new Volvo uses laser as a means of emergency braking/accident avoidance measures and the laser goes off constantly on th V1.
I am pretty sure you can turn of the laser detection... check your owner's manual. But a quick call to them will give you an answer.

I have heard that Laser detection is pretty silly anyway as laser doesn't scatter or spray like radar and if it goes off from a laser gun, you are already nailed. So I heard.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-22-2014 | 08:59 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Don't drive behind Audi's or Kia's, especially!
Collision avoidance detection is a real bummer, for all detectors
Old 12-22-2014 | 09:41 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

In California you can turn off the X and K bands on your V1 without much worry.
Check out the Geographical Survey of California From Radar Detector & Laser Jammer Forum

http://www.rdforum.org/wiki/index.ph...y_-_California

The National Geographical Survey is an interactive database of radar/laser threats around the United States

http://www.rdforum.org/wiki/index.ph...aphical_Survey

Old 12-23-2014 | 10:08 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Cool data. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2014 | 11:10 AM
Psymon
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
.... if it goes off from a laser gun, you are already nailed. So I heard.
True... but in some cases, the V1 is able to pick up the laser gun signal when it's pointed at the car in front of you... So you do get some time to response in those "lucky" situations!

Last edited by Psymon; 12-23-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2014 | 12:02 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by Psymon
True... but in some cases, the V1 is able to pick up the laser gun signal when it's pointed at the car in front of you... do you get some time to response in those "lucky" situations!
This is actually true in most cases, which is fortunate. In the dozens if not 100's of times my radar detectors have possibly saved me a ticket this is how you detect a trap. Ironically the most dangerous time to speed is when you are alone on the highway.
Old 12-23-2014 | 12:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My laser is falsing constantly rendering the unit unusable. So I think I will upgrade instead of repairing.... just to get the new features. Until I can ship the unit back for upgrade, I will try turning the laser off using the following instructions:

http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-29-2014 | 06:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Interesting thread. I have noticed both Kias and Tahoe/Yukon/Escalades setting off my Valentine in traffic when those vehicles are directly behind and beside me. Constant tone--very annoying. I also assumed that was collision warning radar. Hadn't noticed laser falsing when near Volvos. Luckily, that's a low-volume brand.

Anything that reduces the falsing on my Valentine is welcome. I only use it on long trips because it goes off constantly around town.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Valentine SAVVY unit?