Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience with this Aux In / iPod Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014 | 02:41 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Default Anyone have experience with this Aux In / iPod Kit?

It says it's a Genuine Porsche part. Looks well put together and I confirmed with ECS that it works with Bose. I guess i'm just surprised i haven't seen it come up in discussion here before. Any thoughts?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-200...tem/ES1497486/
Old 12-17-2014 | 03:36 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

It has the old 30 pin connector which makes it pretty out of date already. There are adapters, but many are not supported by newer idevices.
Old 12-17-2014 | 03:59 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

I saw that... but I figure even if I use the 1/8" jack I can at least get better audio quality for music over my current BT to RF adaptor... or use my old iPhone 4 as an iPod
Old 12-17-2014 | 04:08 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Anything is an improvement over FM modulation, but although its OEM, I'd still spend a few more bucks and just get the Dension Icelink. I had it in another car and it was very good.
Old 12-17-2014 | 04:57 PM
makemann
Racer

Default Got that...

Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
It says it's a Genuine Porsche part. Looks well put together and I confirmed with ECS that it works with Bose. I guess i'm just surprised i haven't seen it come up in discussion here before. Any thoughts?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-200...tem/ES1497486/
It came as an option in my car. Works well with my iPhone 5S.

Old 12-18-2014 | 10:17 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Thanks Max! I went ahead and ordered it b/c they had one left and it was on sale.

Does that allow control of the iPhone through the PCM, or do you select songs/playlists via the phone itself? I don't really care either way, just curious.
Old 12-18-2014 | 12:07 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Thanks for the support Marco The one that Max has will allow control through the PCM because he has a 2009 model (PCM 3.0). Also a different model then the one you purchased. The one you purchased is for the 997.1 (PCM), songs/playlists must be selected on the device. Hopefully this answers your question.
Old 12-18-2014 | 12:26 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Awesome, thank you!

Like I said, I really don't care about the PCM menus and stuff... I just wanted to get rid of the RF interface I've been using. Not only does it sound bad, but it looks bad

I'm looking forward to installing this. I'm one of the few people that actually likes the factory Bose system for what it is... and I think this will add the last missing piece.

Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2014 | 06:41 PM
kodas
Advanced

Awesome, thank you!

Like I said, I really don't care about the PCM menus and stuff... I just wanted to get rid of the RF interface I've been using. Not only does it sound bad, but it looks bad

I'm looking forward to installing this. I'm one of the few people that actually likes the factory Bose system for what it is... and I think this will add the last missing piece.

Thanks!!
If you get a chance take some pics of the install, I am interested in this as a option also.
Old 12-18-2014 | 06:49 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

If you have PCM 2.1 (volcano grey face, 2008 or older) then this OEM kit is an FM modulator-based solution. Look at Dension or Mobridge if you're looking for better sound.
Old 12-19-2014 | 11:58 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

OK there is a HUGE difference between FM modulation and FM transmission. FM transmitters broadcast the music through the air to the antenna like a low-powered radio station, and is subject to interference from stronger stations broadcasting on the same or close frequencies. FM modulated devices like the one in this thread, and the iSimple Tranzit-BLU HF many of us have installed, are spliced into the antenna-in line, and override any over-air-broadcast signal on the feed frequency. So these FM modulated devices to not suffer from the fade and interference of FM transmitters. You could be parked right under a radio tower broadcasting on the same frequency these devices are set to and that radio station would not step on your iPod stream.
Old 12-19-2014 | 12:23 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Awesome, thank you!

Thanks!!
Please post updates regarding the install process. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2014 | 12:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I have this in my car and the audio quality sounds perfect to both my son and myself. An extreme audiophile might be able to tell the difference in a proper listening environment, but this is in a already noisy and acoustically imperfect 911! I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a "blind" listening test. I also use a 30 pin to lightening adapter and it works perfectly.
Old 12-19-2014 | 08:42 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Excellent! I'm going to try and put this in tomorrow or Sunday. I'll post up pics!
Old 12-22-2014 | 04:26 AM
sketch
Cruisin'

Interesting, I have a 2008 C2S (997.1) and I have this option. Mine seems be different from the 997.2, since my black connector area only has "iPod & Aux". My dealership did not have the iPod connector cable, so I'm just using the aux port (which sounds horrible since it is through FM).

Marco, does your integration kit have the 3 inputs listed (iPod, USB & aux) or 2 (iPod & aux)?

Looking forward to hearing how you like your kit, if the iPod cable connector yields great quality audio, I'll be sure to pick one up along with a lightening adapter to use with my iPhone like shown above.

Bradley

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with this Aux In / iPod Kit?