Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of a 997.1 which was a Porsche Design Edition 1 model

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is Singapore, so it's S$196k and about US$150k. It's actually the "market price" over there!!! And it's very normal to see people put all kinds of badges on their cars... i.e.: M badge on a Civic, Benz logo on a Lancer.... so I'm not surprised at all to see the badge on this car. Also the sales guys there probably don't know much about this car and make up lots of stuff... again not surprised about this in Singapore. Manual car is rare for Singapore and is usually specially ordered by car enthusiast only, but they are also well maintained.

Still, lots of questions to be answered, so best for OP to get a trusted service centre / garage to check the car.

Originally Posted by StormRune
I don't get why you would consider this car... for a price of $196,888???? And it has a fake (or misapplied) special series plate?
You could get a brand spanking new 560HP 2015 Turbo S for that!
What am I missing?
Run.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Inxidious
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. All the comments make sense....bummer!! Was kinda excited to get this car. Storm yeah unfortunately I live in Singapore where the price of a new 1.6 L Toyota Altis is $130,000 !!! �� so the 200k for this one is actually one of the lowest in the market...

Back to the drawing board then....
Old 11-26-2014, 12:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Without seeing the car in person you don't really know if this is just a photo of a glove compartment that was inserted into the advertisement or is really part of the car in question. Good decision to move on.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 PM
diem
3rd Gear

I went for a test drive yesterday. Next to the special badging, it also had no service history whatsoever. A total no-go. Surprising to me for a Porsche of that value and with that many options, it did also not have the original purchase proof (stating assecories).

The agent was clueless and mentioned that in SG this is different and that for cost reason people do not bring their cars to the official service center. Strange to buy a car with such a heavy markup (SG) and loosing all market value to no service record.

Steering wheel was also aftermarket, not connected to PCM.

Other than that: what a machine!

I have the chassis number. Anyone knows whether I can look up options that way?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Suncoast can pull a very thorough report for $10 here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...newproductpage

You can also get the basic build sheet info using this link with the VIN changed to the VIN you are interested in: "https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/details.php?vin=WP0CA29936S756670"

Note that this isn't a hyperlink, you will have to copy, paste, and edit it before submitting. Be sure to remove the quotes.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 AM
Edward911
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by diem
I went for a test drive yesterday. Next to the special badging, it also had no service history whatsoever. A total no-go. Surprising to me for a Porsche of that value and with that many options, it did also not have the original purchase proof (stating assecories).

The agent was clueless and mentioned that in SG this is different and that for cost reason people do not bring their cars to the official service center. Strange to buy a car with such a heavy markup (SG) and loosing all market value to no service record.

Steering wheel was also aftermarket, not connected to PCM.

Other than that: what a machine!

I have the chassis number. Anyone knows whether I can look up options that way?
Having visited an "unofficial" Porsche service centre with a friend in Kuala Lumpur, I'd be wary of the work done on a car as complex as the 997 by a non-Porsche mechanic. I know the cars and parts in SE Asia are ridiculously expensive, but can you imagine if something seriously goes wrong due to poor maintenance, e.g. skipped 20K/40K major service?

Porsche Design Edition 1 was only for the Cayman. You can easily tell since this 997 doesn't have the matte black PDE1 stripes on the hood or lower doors like this: http://betterparts.org/porsche/porsc...edition-1.html
Old 01-03-2015, 03:17 AM
diem
3rd Gear

Thanks for the useful tipps. VIN search came up empty!? Let me attach the dealer sheet.

https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...0ZZZ99ZS774614

Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 AM
diem
3rd Gear

This is it.

One more thing: when I checked the windshield it was if somebody used a sandblaster on it. The angent mentioned that this happens when you travel to Malaysia and that I can claim a new one via the insurance (?).

The hood was more or less in good condition. Strange again.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:04 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
You can also get the basic build sheet info using this link with the VIN changed to the VIN you are interested in: "https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/details.php?vin=WP0CA29936S756670"

Note that this isn't a hyperlink, you will have to copy, paste, and edit it before submitting. Be sure to remove the quotes.
Only works for PCNA cars.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:44 PM
englebert
Instructor

With different bumpers and spoilers, wheels etc. than stock i would be concerned this could have been crashed in the UK, then rebuilt and exported.

Have a business trip to Singapore this year, looking forward to it! Heard everything is expensive there though, not just the cars! Doesn't HK have the highest supercar density in the world though?!

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of a 997.1 which was a Porsche Design Edition 1 model