Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OE Exhaust Parts - What do I do with them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014 | 08:25 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Default OE Exhaust Parts - What do I do with them?

Hi all - I just sold my 997.2 Targa 4S to a very good new home in the Chicago area. Several years ago I replaced the OE exhaust with AWE side cans and cross-over pipes and have the original 12k mile side cans / center muffler sitting in my basement (the new owner wasn't interested in them... particularly after he heard the AWE setup!).

So, now what do I do with them? Is there a market for them?

Also, if you're interested in the comp - it sold for $60,500. 32k miles, MT, Bose, Sport Chrono, Black on Black, tires 95%. Basically nothing wrong with the car and in concours condition (if you're in the Bay Area, it was in a few PCA Zone 7 events this year and at the Parade concours in Monterey). Maybe a little low, but seemed like a fair price both ways for a fully private party transaction.

Now looking forward to picking up a 4k mile, one owner, literally factory original and perfect in every way 993 C2 Coupe next week. Kind of looking forward to taking a step back in my 911 past (previously owned two '97 Targas).
Old 11-20-2014 | 05:26 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Aw! I loved your car! I believe I met your wife and mother in law? At the Ledson concours this year but remember your car from the year before too- I love those AWE exhaust tips you had. Those are my all time favorite after market tips, in fact I think I even have a picture of them on my phone. They were like ceramic coated too right? That was a beautiful set up, and a gorgeous car.

I'm sure the 993 will be amazing too.

I'm sure there's a market for the stock exhaust, but I've seen several on CL and they tend to just sit there- recently I saw a set of 997.1 cans go for $350 (pair) but there is another set up there for like $850. Maybe Darin Fister would be interested in yours with such low miles as candidates for his FD sport muffler mod? Maybe give him a shout, he's a pretty die-hard 993 guy too, you may like some of the hot rod work he does out there in Brentwood and maybe could trade your exhaust for some go fast/sound good mods on the new 993?

- dan

That's you right?
Old 11-20-2014 | 11:20 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan - yep, that's me.

Thanks, I loved that car too. But you can't hang on too tightly to things. I'm really glad that it's gone on to fulfill someone else's dream. And about the AWE tips; me too. I'm not sure how that chrome black finish is done, but it's pretty great.

Good picture of Ledson. I'd forgotten this, but Steve's red 993 that's parked next to and pointing at my Targa is, I think, identical to the Guards Red 993 I've bought. When all the dust settles, I'm thinking about adding a GT3 to the garage or a Cayman S (since I've had a long string of 911s, maybe it's time to have a new experience for back road fun).

About the side cans and center muffler; good to know that they have value. I guess I'll stick them in the classifieds here. Since the 993 is completely original, I can't do anything that easily be un-done without affecting value - if that weren't the case, i'd be all over a trade.

Best,

JD
Old 11-20-2014 | 11:57 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

The 993 is a gorgeous car.

I was waffling between a black '96 Targa and a silver 97 coupe when my cab suddenly appeared out of nowhere and overnight I had a 997.

I look forward to whatever comes next.
Old 11-20-2014 | 12:01 PM
Cbst09
Racer

My estimate is that you could get about $200-$300 for the side cans but don't think there is much value in the center muffler. Good luck with your 993
Old 11-20-2014 | 02:01 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys.

I'll be posting two listings later today if anyone is interested.

The pair of side cans for $300 and the original 997.2 S exhaust tips for $250. Or everything for $500.

Happy to ship at cost or pickup in the Bay Area, mid-peninsula. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 11-20-2014 | 10:23 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

That's a pretty fair price for 997.2 sides. You're right, no one has much use for the center.

I'm pretty sure you'll sell the within 1-2 weeks at the most.
Old 11-20-2014 | 11:00 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by workhurts
That's a pretty fair price for 997.2 sides. You're right, no one has much use for the center.

I'm pretty sure you'll sell the within 1-2 weeks at the most.
Yep, seems as though they're already sold. Cool.

I guess I'll drop the center muffler off at the metal recycling center.

Quick Reply: OE Exhaust Parts - What do I do with them?