Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does porsche continue with software updates even if a new product has come out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014 | 06:32 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Default Does porsche continue with software updates even if a new product has come out?

does it do it like apple? Even if you have a 5 if there are new software for the 6 and is applicable to the 5 they would still allow download. Does porsche do this? Our cars are electro mechanical items already and software driven...there should be updates as new tech comes in, if the mechanical parts could take them...
Old 11-17-2014 | 06:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

There was a big fight about this as it relates to navigation map updates for PCM 2.0. Only a few years after the switch to PCM 2.1, Porsche decided not to offer map updates for 2.0. There were threats of a class action lawsuit and it got pretty ugly. Ultimately, Porsche decided to offer updates. I would imagine that their approach is similar with other systems. If something works properly with the existing software, then they are probably not going to update it.
Old 11-17-2014 | 07:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Agree with Dennis - if everything is working why take a chance that a software change might cause an unintended problem...and any updates would have to be done at the dealer - it's not the same process as Apple pushing the iOS updates out through the ether to all users.
Old 11-19-2014 | 02:46 PM
Linnm
Pro

I bought a CPO early 2009 and had the dealer update the NAV. Took about an hour, no issues
You might call Parts and see what is available for your car
Old 11-19-2014 | 06:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

When I took my 2010 4S into the dealer the first time (2 months ago) they checked for recalls and updates. None found. But when I asked about deleting previous phones from the PCM and they couldn't then they did a software update. We never got the phones deleted, but if it weren't for that problem I would not have gotten the software update regardless of the dealer checking beforehand.

Quick Reply: Does porsche continue with software updates even if a new product has come out?