Sponsored by:

Can the Tiptronic rev match?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
widebodytarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the Tiptronic rev match?

I was always under the impression that the tiptronic transmission could not rev match. However, I found this information last night in a 2007 Porsche press release which seems to allude to it.

"To mimic the way an enthusiast driver manipulates the accelerator, brake and clutch, engine management software produces a slight boost in engine speed during aggressive downshifting. This shortens shift time and enhances gearshift mesh. With the Tiptronic S selector lever is in its manual mode and the PSM OFF switch activated, the transmission will not shift up even when the engine reaches the rev limiter. This allows the enthusiast driver to drive with the engine near its rev limit while maintaining the selected gear."

Any ideas what this means?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly what it says: in spirited driving on downshifts it will rev-match no matter what the tranny mode is. In manual, it will not shift up unless you initiate the shift, manual here means excatly that.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Yes, of course it does. Porsche's Tiptronic (made by MB) is actually a very good transmission.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:07 AM
widebodytarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have a g37s coupe which does rev match at all engine speeds and the rev match is readily apparent on downshifts. However the tiptronic does not feel like it does at all below 4k rpm. The shifts just don't feel as smooth.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by widebodytarga
Well I have a g37s coupe which does rev match at all engine speeds and the rev match is readily apparent on downshifts. However the tiptronic does not feel like it does at all below 4k rpm. The shifts just don't feel as smooth.
+1. That shift down to 1st often seems like I'm dumping something - I don't do it often.

Regarding when it DOES rev match, the first few times this happened I thought I was doing something wrong. Comming from manuals, and an automatic car with so-called manual mode which was really just a gear selector, the rev matching was a welcome surprise, and made me feel a little better about choosing the tip. I bet the PDK is a hoot, but the MB tip is known for reliability, so for now, I'm happy.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I never shift to first when moving; don't see the point tbh and as you said, it feels horrible!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Rob_G
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the second day of owning the car my tiptronic went into "emergency run mode" (didn't know that existed) when the car did a lot of shifting. The MB tiptronic has this as mildly known issue from what I can see from my googliing. Once that was fixed/swapped, it's been working like a champ. Kind of off topic, sorry.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't care what Porsche advertising says....I owned 2 Tip 997 cars, my wife's Cayanne S and here last Panamera S were tip....and tracked them....Tiptronic does not rev match!

PDK rev matches....dual clutch transmission...and nothing like a standard torque converter slush box automatic transmission like Tiptronic.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:25 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by widebodytarga
I was always under the impression that the tiptronic transmission could not rev match. However, I found this information last night in a 2007 Porsche press release which seems to allude to it.

"To mimic the way an enthusiast driver manipulates the accelerator, brake and clutch, engine management software produces a slight boost in engine speed during aggressive downshifting. This shortens shift time and enhances gearshift mesh. With the Tiptronic S selector lever is in its manual mode and the PSM OFF switch activated, the transmission will not shift up even when the engine reaches the rev limiter. This allows the enthusiast driver to drive with the engine near its rev limit while maintaining the selected gear."

Any ideas what this means?
Hello Friend
rev limiter - match works in 997.1 TIPTRONIC S
Sport mode + Manual mode + brake before downshift (On the right RPM) + With "PSM OFF", it felt more ..
I drive only with manual mode and Sport (The Map of the car changes completely and it's amazing).
In PDK it is very easy and fun

Last edited by f911; 03-14-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Can the Tiptronic rev match?