Sponsored by:

997.1 vs 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
You can also find Ferrari F430s under $60k...

Will depend on your definition of low mileage too, I guess...

To the OP's question, you get a modest performance bump (6sp vs. 6sp, and obviously vs. PDK) with the .2 cars. You get "worse" (or more muted) sound with stock non-PSE system with the .2, but better interior (the PCM system and parts around it will wear better), and slightly better ride (I found the .2 cars were less floaty in the front).

I went with .2 and paid the premium but could've gone with a .1 and would've been happy. Icing is zero IMS issue on the .2s, though later .1s don't seem to have a "material" problem...

Obviously, I disagree with there being real availability of low mileage (<20k miles) .2s for under $60k. I've looked at a few, and all had issues / accidents, etc... but that was 5 months ago, and the market will be more buyer-friendly at this time of year... though a quick check on autotrader (for within 500 miles of me) gives me 5 results under 30k miles, under $60k for carrera s...

Of course, people here are able to find it, but I think the comparison of 60K+ for .2s and <60k for low mileage .1s is a fair bifurcation...

I agree with everything you mentioned. However, I was not suggesting there is great availability and of course options/preferences matter.

I know of two 997.2 S cars sold within the last 2 weeks for under $60k and under 30K miles. Both had stickers close to $110k. Both were one owner and no issues. One was no warranty and the other had a Costco warranty that is no longer sold but is active.

Black and Gray cars. No green or red/yellow etc.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:27 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I don't have an opinion. But if you are going to wait for something better, you are always going to be waiting. There will ALWAYS be something better.
Agreed. There will be plenty of .2 S cars under 60k in 2018.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoran
Prices seem higher than KBB, is that a legit starting place?

Carmax is actually a good place to see what a fair price is for a car. Since they don't negotiate, the list price has a healthy margin. They also regularly adjust the price of the car based on the market.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:35 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Hunting
Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

I agree with rickdogg82's comments about waiting. There will ALWAYS be something better, something faster, some new feature that you want, etc. If you keep waiting, then you'll miss out on the joy of owning and driving a Porsche now. The 997.1 is a fantastic car and it would provide you a great Porsche experience. You need to appreciate it for what it is and avoid comparing it to the next new model.

If you buy a 997.2, will you wish that you had waited for a 991.1?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm guessing this varies based on region but around here you won't find a sub 30k clean 997.2 S for under $60k.

OP - just my two cents but don't rule out a base 997.2 with PDK and sport chrono. PLENTY of performance for a street car. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

They're all awesome, get the car that with the right options, color and clean records.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm a blues fan.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...black-top.html
Old 11-12-2014, 11:46 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by thoran
To gota911:
S or 4S...
low miles under 30k
other options, not sure about...
I am not sure I totally understand what you want, but I'll answer based on what I think you want...

C2S vs C4S - as with most things, this is purely personal preference. I prefer the feel and handling characteristics of the rear wheel drive C2S versus the C4S. To me the C4S felt heavy in the front. Others, who prefer the 4-wheel drive, would say it feels more planted. Perception and preference are in play here.

Number of Miles - I knew my car would be a daily driver so I was looking for a relatively low mileage CPO car. I currently have 56,914 miles on my car, which means I have driven it about 54,000 mikes in 3 years and 2 months, and have loved every mile of it. If it is going to be a weekend car a higher mileage car could work because you probably won't put a lot of miles on it per year.

Options - Again personal preference is the driving force here. I wanted a manual 6-speed transmission. With that I didn't need, nor want, Sport Chrono, which really adds nothing to a car with a manual transmission. With PDK, Sport Chrono is a "MUST have" because it gives you three distinct shift mapping programs. BTW, Sport Chrono can be added later (for about $1,200) if you find a perfect PDK car that doesn't have it.

Navigation and Bose are options but most cars will have them.

Full leather - I love it, but my car does not have it. I "gave up" getting a 2008 997.1 with Full Leather to get a 997.2 with the upgrades I mentioned in my earlier post.

I added PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) after I bought the car. That was always my plan if I found a car I liked that didn't have it. The point here is that you need to settle on what your "must have" option list is and determine which of those can not be added later or would be too cost prohibitive to add later and find a car that has those "can't add later" options.

Your best bet is to decide:
  1. 997.1 or 997.2
  2. C2S or C4S
  3. Coupe or Cab
  4. Manual or PDK (if PDK then it will be a 997.2)
  5. "Must Have" options
  6. "Want" (or nice to have) options
  7. Colors - exterior and interior

Obviously, this "decision list" can be rearranged, but 1 - 4 need to stay in the top four slots, IMO.

I hope this helps.

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:10 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

I am not sure I totally understand what you want, but I'll answer based on what I think you want...

C2S vs C4S - as with most things, this is purely personal preference. I prefer the feel and handling characteristics of the rear wheel drive C2S versus the C4S. To me the C4S felt heavy in the front. Others, who prefer the 4-wheel drive, would say it feels more planted. Perception and preference are in play here.

Number of Miles - I knew my car would be a daily driver so I was looking for a relatively low mileage CPO car. I currently have 56,914 miles on my car, which means I have driven it about 54,000 mikes in 3 years and 2 months, and have loved every mile of it. If it is going to be a weekend car a higher mileage car could work because you probably won't put a lot of miles on it per year.

Options - Again personal preference is the driving force here. I wanted a manual 6-speed transmission. With that I didn't need, nor want, Sport Chrono, which really adds nothing to a car with a manual transmission. With PDK, Sport Chrono is a "MUST have" because it gives you three distinct shift mapping programs. BTW, Sport Chrono can be added later (for about $1,200) if you find a perfect PDK car that doesn't have it.

Navigation and Bose are options but most cars will have them.

Full leather - I love it, but my car does not have it. I "gave up" getting a 2008 997.1 with Full Leather to get a 997.2 with the upgrades I mentioned in my earlier post.

I added PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) after I bought the car. That was always my plan if I found a car I liked that didn't have it. The point here is that you need to settle on what your "must have" option list is and determine which of those can not be added later or would be too cost prohibitive to add later and find a car that has those "can't add later" options.

Your best bet is to decide:
[*]997.1 or 997.2[*]C2S or C4S[*]Coupe or Cab[*]Manual or PDK (if PDK then it will be a 997.2)[*]"Must Have" options[*]"Want" (or nice to have) options[*]Colors - exterior and interior

Obviously, this "decision list" can be rearranged, but 1 - 4 need to stay in the top four slots, IMO.

I hope this helps.

Good luck in your search.
Very good wrap up. One note on adding Sports Chrono is that you don't necessarily get the wart in the middle of the dash. Some people don't like the wart. Others don't care. Some do seem to like it.

As an aside, how expensive was the PSE to add and how much hassle? Did you use the dealer, an indy, or DIY. I thought my exhaust was fine until I had the pleasure to drive amongst three GT cars this last weekend! Now the PSE (or more) seems to be an essential.

In other words, as you test drive cars your options list may change!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

When I was shopping, I found a much higher premium on a 997.2 compared to a 997.1. I was able to find a 997.1 C2S with 22k miles for $45k, whereas a comparable 997.2 with the same miles was demanding around $60-60k.

For me the worthwhile upgrades were:
- No IMS-issues engine
- HP bump

I was content getting an aftermarket solution for the other upgrades:
- PCM upgrade - replaced mine with an aftermarket
- LED lights front/back - replaced on the 997.1 for about $1k
- I've been told the 997.2 has a much more muted exhaust but i'm not sure if that's for just non-PSE cars. You can get a Fister MOD muffler for $500.

The 997.1's seem like downright bargains compared to 997.2's!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 AM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude...you can't go wrong with either.

You know your budget..waiting for a car to depreciate takes all the fun away. That's the reason you're looking at pre owned...you're smart enough to let someone else take the hit.

Now go & locate your P-Car!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Very good wrap up. One note on adding Sports Chrono is that you don't necessarily get the wart in the middle of the dash. Some people don't like the wart. Others don't care. Some do seem to like it.

As an aside, how expensive was the PSE to add and how much hassle? Did you use the dealer, an indy, or DIY. I thought my exhaust was fine until I had the pleasure to drive amongst three GT cars this last weekend! Now the PSE (or more) seems to be an essential.

In other words, as you test drive cars your options list may change!
Wayne,

A week after bought my car I installed the Sharkwerks center muffler by-pass pipes and installed them myself. The Sharkwerks pipes will work with either the stock Porsche mufflers or PSE. The pipes improved the sound, but I had already decided I would get PSE and Sharkwerks even before I bought the car.
Six weeks later, I bought my PSE mufflers at Suncoast Porsche in Florida foe $2,495 and had them shipped to my Porsche dealer in Greenville, SC (where we lived at that time). The local dealer charged me $900 to do the install. I was thinking of doing it myself, but after I read through the Porsche install instructions, I decided to let the pros do it.

Would I do it again? Yes, without hesitation! I get a lot of comments on how good my C2S sounds.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speedy D - F430 for under $60k? In what Galaxy ? I will buy a couple.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

Wayne,

A week after bought my car I installed the Sharkwerks center muffler by-pass pipes and installed them myself. The Sharkwerks pipes will work with either the stock Porsche mufflers or PSE. The pipes improved the sound, but I had already decided I would get PSE and Sharkwerks even before I bought the car.
Six weeks later, I bought my PSE mufflers at Suncoast Porsche in Florida foe $2,495 and had them shipped to my Porsche dealer in Greenville, SC (where we lived at that time). The local dealer charged me $900 to do the install. I was thinking of doing it myself, but after I read through the Porsche install instructions, I decided to let the pros do it.

Would I do it again? Yes, without hesitation! I get a lot of comments on how good my C2S sounds.
Thanks for the feedback. Very concise. Very helpful. I guess I've got one more definite on my to do list!

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs 997.2