Sponsored by:

Too Low Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:50 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjwand
The dealer did just disclose that there are "wear" issues with both the temp control and fan control. Really odd "wear" that appears isolated to these two controls. I'm rather concerned because the car lived in a hot, humid, salty area so corrosion is a fear. Anyone ever seen anything like the attached?
Yes. Neither has anything to do with humidity or salt. The coating on both the ***** and buttons, although different in composition, is prone to damage from greasy fingers and some common interior cleaning agents.

Originally Posted by SJP3003
I bought an 06 997S a few weeks ago with 6000 miles and regular service and have been addressing over a dozen items:

1. Service last month did not include serpentine belt. I just had that done, and the belt tensioners required replacement too.

2. A/C was venting condensation onto passenger footwell area. A drainage tube was clogged.

3. A/C was throwing too much air up towards the windshield causing fogging. This has yet to be corrected.

4. A/C was tossing out bits of black foam particles. Dealer service addressed this.

5. Sliders on A/C control unit were severely discolored. I ordered anew head unit last week.

6. Radio buttons were gummy. I ordered two replacements from Suncoast yesterday.

7. Floormats were OK but not great...just replaced these.

8. The drain tube from the sunroof to the rear drivers side was clogged causing the head liner to get wet.

9. Brakes feel wooden although brake fluid was just replaced and brakes are not worn.

10. The digital display at the bottom of the central gauge in the gauge cluster stopped working as I drove from the dealer to my house. I ordered a replacement last week.

11. The tires were still the OEMs--- a safety hazard since they were 8 years old.

12. A few minor scratches on the center console (will be matching the interior color to get an acrilyc paint to apply for touch ups).

13. The pollen filter required replacement...just done.

14. The red portion of the seatbelt latch receiver has discolored for all belts. Will revive if possible or replace.

15.Given the headliner and footwell leaks, the car had a musty smell (better now but still an issue)...looking for alternatives to address this (will be trying fabric softener sheets, baking soda and hot lemon water).

16. One cupholder above the glovebox is broken...new cupholder ordered today.

Can't wait to get all these items fully sorted out.
Sometimes it's not how far a car has been driven, but instead where and how it was taken care of. In my 12k mile '08 GT3, everything looks, feels, and smells immaculate and like new with the exception that the previous owner must've had a ring that hit the A-pillar leather, door pull, and the little "airbag" symbol on the door card. Then out back there's the coolant pipe leak that is requiring the engine to come out for a (warranty) fix, which isn't anything you can preventatively maintain for without great expense but is something likely to happen over time on my particular engine.

Point is that even when someone sweats the details to keep the car in great condition (my climate and radio buttons/***** look unused, for example), time still passes and stuff happens. When it's time-warp mileage, pay a premium for condition and not the number on the odometer. Condition includes mechanical and cosmetic, and a good PPI covers both.

SJP3303, water intrusion on my daily driver became an issue due to a faulty design of the pollen filter housing, and resulted in a big pool of water in the passenger footwell. The water was removed, the carpet cleaned with an extractor, and then the musty smell was removed using a product like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-car-fogger.html

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
I got a 07 with 7700 miles. Owner has records of annual oil changes plus other services. Got a clean PPI report. Got a very low price on the warranty from Fidelity due to the low miles - 5yrs/60k miles. Been driving the car for months now and no problems (knock on wood).

See the car. Drive the car. Get a PPI, and if its clean, pull the trigger.
Can I ask what the cost was on the Fidelity warranty?. I recently picked up an '06 with 24k miles.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Three different Porsche service experts told me to stay away from any 997.1 that was driven less than 4-5000 miles a year. That one is in serious risk of IMS issues.
The gummy **** are from cars that have been driven mostly by women. Women use hand lotion daily. The lotions cause the black coating on the ***** to deteriorate. This is according to my friend who's the service manager at a Porsche dealership. He is also one of those referenced above.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The radio buttons can be replaced cheaply $30: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Interiorradio

The AC unit buttons are a different story. You cannot buy the buttons alone. There are plenty of threads about repairing them that do a pretty good job, just not perfect. Replacing the whole unit is $600 http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...7S_electronics

Both are DIY - really simple to do.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Number9ine: Thanks for the Odor Bomb tip...I just ordered a few cans.

Steve
Old 11-07-2014, 10:33 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Ditto for all these on my '05 with 57K miles. #3 is directly related to #4 (the foam gone from the flapper that closes off the defroster outlets when the air is being directed through the dash vents). What did the dealer service do? If all they did was vacuum out the outlets, the problem will come back. Mine stopped blowing chunks for almost a year then started back up again. Dealer said to fix it they would have to take the whole dash apart. I opted to not do it because every time I had a dealer do that to a car the dash rattled and squeaked from then on.

Testor's model car paint for the red latches worked well. Same for the red frunk latch that turned pink on me (it also developed a shrinkage crack which I filled with resin before painting)
Dealer Service also said they would have to take apart the whole dash to replace the foam. So they applied high pressure air to blow out as much of the foam as possible. Seems much better...we'll see if it comes back.

Thanks for the Testor's model car paint tip...will give that a shot.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:28 PM
jjwand
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Three different Porsche service experts told me to stay away from any 997.1 that was driven less than 4-5000 miles a year. That one is in serious risk of IMS issues.
The gummy **** are from cars that have been driven mostly by women. Women use hand lotion daily. The lotions cause the black coating on the ***** to deteriorate. This is according to my friend who's the service manager at a Porsche dealership. He is also one of those referenced above.
Curious, is their sole concern the IMS issue or other potential issues as well?
Old 11-08-2014, 01:31 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJP3003
Number9ine: Thanks for the Odor Bomb tip...I just ordered a few cans.

Steve
You bet. Don't forget to go for a thorough leather clean/condition and wipe down every other surface with some kind of cleaner (I like simple glass cleaner like Windex or Stoner) after the bomb.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:24 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fascinating comment about the woman's lotion. Another idea might be long fingernails like a "dancer" might have. Anyway...it seems like if you have a service history, the PPI goes well and the price is right, you can make this work. Can you tell if it was garage kept?

Or, move on to a car that has complete service history. Mine was an 09 with 8500 miles. All good with my PPI and so far so good.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:20 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
That's funny cause my car was seen by 2 different porsche service experts and both gave me a thumbs up on the car. And I talked to another local expert who did not have a issue with me buying a 997.1 (07&08 tend to have updated IMS).

Overall I think this IMS fear-monging on the 997.1 is overblown.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by number9ine
You bet. Don't forget to go for a thorough leather clean/condition and wipe down every other surface with some kind of cleaner (I like simple glass cleaner like Windex or Stoner) after the bomb.
Thanks again...just did the leather yesterday...Lexol cleaner and conditioner while a leatherique order arrives for use after the odor bomb Today I wrapped the scuffed doorsill and fusebox cover plastic in a CF wrap. Checked the freshness of the battery (found a Jan 14 in-service date for the AC Delco battery, not bad) and attached a battery tender to top it off. Also cleaned up the frunk plastics and everything I could reach underneath them. Can't wait to finish my laundry list of details, but it's getting there...
Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess I differ from most but, I really would rather have a well cared for 70K car than a car that spent most of a long life being unused. These things are machines, and they tend to run and last longer when they are exercised. Do I want my car to always appear new? Absolutely, but like most everything it's give and take...

I noticed where you live. It now makes sense why the miles are so low...

Quick Reply: Too Low Mileage?