Sponsored by:

997 Cab - Snow/Winter Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 02:43 PM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Cab - Snow/Winter Setup

I use my 997 Cab as a daily commuter (only 8 miles round trip) and want to get setup for winter. Couple notes, my job lets me work from home in severe conditions, I have never driven a rwd car in the snow, I have never driven a rear engine car in the snow, I keep my car garaged at home, my car is exposed to elements during my workday.

Here is what my current setup looks like:

- Summer Setup - 19" Carrera w/ new Potenza Tires (800 miles used)

- Winter Setup - 18" Carrera Classic w/ "used" Pirelli Winter Snow (previous owner used 5-6k miles)

The winter setup front tires have tread, but the rear are hurting. I'm not sure if I should be shopping...

1.) 4 new 18" Winter Tires?
2.) 2 new 18" Winter Tires (rear only)?
3.) 4 new 18" All-Season Tires (recommended by my Porsche Indy Shop)

Also, Any issues to worry about with the Cab top roof?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really know how bad the weather gets in your area. Under what I consider severe conditions winter tires are a night and day difference when compared to all season tires. All season compounds are harder then a true winter tire so below a certain temperature they slide on ice as opposed to sticking to it. If your winters are on the mild side an all season will do the trick. My issue with all seasons is that they are kind of the jack of all trades but don't really excel in any aspect. You can drive them well enough all year but a summer performance tire is much better in the summer and a winter tire is better in the winter.

As far as the top goes and I can only say this from the standpoint of having other convertibles in a winter climate(non Porsche) it's not really an issue. I've always kept the tops of our convertibles coated with G-Techniq convertible top sealer. My wife's Z4 is 7 years old and the top is in factory fresh condition. Might want to apply something to the top if your area gets salted in the winter. It keeps the salt stains from taking hold.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:04 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have summer tires, I'd go for winter rubber. How old are the old ones? Might be getting a bit hard, so you might want fresh fronts as well. I've been driving on UHP all season rubber the last few years, which does work great. I also park the car when it actually snows.

Oh, and I haven't had any problems with the roof. Comes off when it's over 40 and sunny

Last edited by stefang; 10-01-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say at least the 2 new rears and even better a complete new set: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II front tires (235/40R18) are $223 from Tire Rack, so it would only be $500 in addition to the rears.

I got wheels, TPMS and tires shipped for $2,400. Still haven't swapped but will do so later this month as temperatures drop below 50. I look forward to trying out the Targa 4S in the snow. On bad days I can just work from home (if the kids let me) or take the Land Rover.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing less than 4 snows -- having such a discrepancy in traction from one axle to the other is asking for trouble, IMHO

and go with a winter / summer setup and not all seasons.

All seasons are crappy year around, where as summers and winters are good 50% of the year and crappy 50% of the year.

Those percentages will vary depending on how often and how long the temperature fluctuates below or above 7 degrees celsius where you live.

The 997 is an excellent snow vehicle with snows on.--lots of fun! -- as long as the snow doesn't get over 6 inches -- then it just becomes a pricey snow plow
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM
mopar bob
Pro

I tried all seasons once and only once. They are Cr#p in the summer and scary in the winter. Go with 4 snows, I like the Michelin's I have using them for years for winter driving. Go to Tire Rack and see whats rated good and pick one.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:17 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Only complete winter set up tires like Michelin Alpine 235/40/18 and 265/35/18! "All season = no season" should be removed from Porsche offering.
Your driving style in winter is major safety factor along with proper tires. Smooth with little braking. Going downhill is required just putting 1st gear and rolling. Throttle finessing with very gently steering. Other unequipped drivers are your concern. Keep enough distance like a bubble. You can wax your wheels against salt. Have fun.

---------------
05' 997.1 C2S
Old 10-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

I've driven a 911 as my daily driver in all conditions for a long time. Proper winter tires are the key. It's also important to make sure that you replace them every few years, even if the tread looks okay. The magic wears off after a few years...

I just ordered a set of dedicated winter wheels for my 997 TT cabriolet with Pirelli winter tires. It will do very well in everything except deep snow.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:20 PM
mopar bob
Pro

I get 2 or 3 winters on my snows. Much less money than a second car.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Just add a hardtop and you don't have to worry about your canvas top. This option is more popular in Europe because the cars get year around usage. Sadly, the hardtop option was eliminated for cost reasons from the new 991 lineup.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:01 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

All seasons are actually no season tires. Not good in the winter not good in the summer. You indy, is not driving your car in the snow.
I drove my 997 C2S all last winter. Never got stuck. Though i did park it for a few days after 12" of snow fell and the roads were now plowed yet. I was more concerned about a frozen slush bank damage, than the fluffy snow.
Four dedicated snow tires, 19 or 18 your choice. I'd get new 18's, fresh tires for your winter trekking. Weathertech's, jumper box, ditch strap. With some common sense you should be fine.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 12-04-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:22 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Actually, all-season tires have progressed dramatically, even in the last 5 years, to where most people would not notice performance differences from the good ones and a lot of summer performance tires.

We run Continental DWS on our Volvo XC70 year-round and it's fine, really. For a 911, though, I would still probably go with dedicated summers and dedicated winters - but I refuse to have the car look like it's on tiptoe all winter so I cheat and use OEM sizes for the snows, usually. It compromises the snow tire advantage a little, but there we are.

Clearance will be the larger issue, anyway.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by WJGreer

Clearance will be the larger issue, anyway.

Agreed. And if you live in a metro area the roads are usually plowed pretty quick.

4 tires is the best way to go as most people have stated, but if you do end up getting two, but the good ones up front.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:59 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Though the engine is in the back, you will find the front of your car very expensive to repair too. Saving money on tires? Winter is not the time to save on snow vs all season tires. Snow tires, four of them, or park it. I'm sure you could run around all winter in your Stan Smiths, but that would be silly.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM
porterror
Racer

Thanks all. Just ordered (4) - Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 for the car from discount tire direct (best price / rebate / shipping)

Quick Reply: 997 Cab - Snow/Winter Setup