Sponsored by:

my iphone mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default my iphone mount

So i saw these windshield mounts on amazon that everyone said is good stuff. I bought 4 of them and the people were right. The dang thing is pretty amazing. It never falls off. On my wife's GX470, i have it stuck to a wood dash panel. I wanted a holder for my iphone in the Porsche but couldn't figure out where. I didn't want to put it on the windshield. The kit comes with a mounting plate. After sitting on the passenger side i said why not use the cup holder since i never use a cup holder anyways. I drilled the mounting plate and two zip ties later. I now have a mount that even fits my iphone 6 plus.

here are some pictures:

I'm going for a drive later and will report. Considering the cup holder can hold a 20 oz drink, i don't see why this won't work.
Attached Images      
Old 09-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't it shake and rattle? I put bluetooth in, so my iphone mount is usually my pocket Sometimes I plug the charging cord in, in which case I put the iPhone in the center console. Or on the passenger seat if nobody is sitting there. Or if they are, I rest it horizonally against the center dash in front of the shift boot. I have an Otterbox Defender case, which is rubberized and doesn't slip. And even if the phone landed on the carpet nothing would happen to it.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
So i saw these windshield mounts on amazon that everyone said is good stuff. I bought 4 of them and the people were right. The dang thing is pretty amazing. It never falls off. On my wife's GX470, i have it stuck to a wood dash panel. I wanted a holder for my iphone in the Porsche but couldn't figure out where. I didn't want to put it on the windshield. The kit comes with a mounting plate. After sitting on the passenger side i said why not use the cup holder since i never use a cup holder anyways. I drilled the mounting plate and two zip ties later. I now have a mount that even fits my iphone 6 plus.

here are some pictures:

I'm going for a drive later and will report. Considering the cup holder can hold a 20 oz drink, i don't see why this won't work.

Great idea.. Can you please upload bigger pic? not able to enlarge these.

TIA.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 AM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Doesn't it shake and rattle? I put bluetooth in, so my iphone mount is usually my pocket Sometimes I plug the charging cord in, in which case I put the iPhone in the center console. Or on the passenger seat if nobody is sitting there. Or if they are, I rest it horizonally against the center dash in front of the shift boot. I have an Otterbox Defender case, which is rubberized and doesn't slip. And even if the phone landed on the carpet nothing would happen to it.

if you keep it in your pocket, how do you see the text message or email that comes in? My iphone 6 plus is massive and to be honest, it would be a huge improvement to use it as my navigation and media center. the 5.5 in screen is large enough to do so.

i got back from my test drive and to my suprise, it doesn't rattle too much. i'm guessing partially due to how secure it is to the cup holder. i could shim the cup holder bracket and reduce the vibration. that actually sounds like a good idea. i should take a small piece of neoprene just to protect the cup holder.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is the holder you want
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

Love mine. I plug my phone in to my Dension unit so it charges as I drive. Mounted on drivers side center air vent. keeps the phone cool and easily within reach. Works perfect and is easily removable. They now have a slightly bigger version for Phablet phones like the 6+ and the S5 samsung
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

if you keep it in your pocket, how do you see the text message or email that comes in?
Easy. I take the phone out of my pocket and look...when I'm stopped at a light and it's safe to do so. I think Siri can be used to read and send sms and e-mail too, although I really couldn't care less. If it's a true emergency people will call me.

My iphone 6 plus is massive and to be honest, it would be a huge improvement to use it as my navigation and media center.
I've got a 5, no plans to upgrade until it breaks or won't charge. Screen is plenty big enough for me to use as NAV, insasmuch as I wouldn't look at it while driving anyway. That's what spoken turn-by-turn is for.

As to media center, my only media is spotify. I begin a playlist when I start out, or at a light. The Tranzit's control button can be used for skips.

I do like the cupholder idea much better than the dash vent one, because it's hot year year round and I don't want anything blocking the flow of cold air at me. I just never have opened the cupholder thingamajig because it seems really flimsy to me but I would imagine it's a pretty penny to replace if it gets broken.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

After some online searches, I found another phone mount option.. CD slot mount! Holds iphone 6 plus very well and no modification/drilling required.. Also CD plays.. Works great and phone is held on ideal spot. Perfect for me. I have used this for past couple of days and have no issues, no vibration, holds tight, Tilting etc.. Removing and installing mount is also easy by pressing a button.

Amazon Amazon

Some pics from my car:

Old 09-26-2014, 03:48 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you keep it in your pocket, how do you see the text message or email that comes in?
u prob should not be texting or checking emails while driving anyways.

I tried the CD slot phone holder.. but found it blocks too much of the PCM screen

I am currently using Kenu phone holder. No problem with iphone5
Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 PM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
u prob should not be texting or checking emails while driving anyways.

I tried the CD slot phone holder.. but found it blocks too much of the PCM screen

I am currently using Kenu phone holder. No problem with iphone5
i don't text when i drive or will i email. i do like to see who is texting me though. i use jailbreak app that reads my text messages to me but no jailbreak for now for ios 8.

i thought about the cd holder too but it blocks the PCM and i heard it falls off on hard bumps.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

i also use the kenu airframe.

also fyi sidwin, siri can read back and generate texts for you while driving, no app needed
Old 09-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

i don't text when i drive or will i email. i do like to see who is texting me though. i use jailbreak app that reads my text messages to me but no jailbreak for now for ios 8.

i thought about the cd holder too but it blocks the PCM and i heard it falls off on hard bumps.
No Nav in my car. So normally I don't look at PCM and no blocks for me. Looks like the mount I bought is sturdy and holding the phone tight. Also tight at CD slot. I will know better after few months of use..

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CD holder is pretty awesome and holds it very steady. One of my friends who's pretty much tried them all swears it's the only one where the phone doesn't vibrate and he has them in all of his vehicles.

This is going to sound way out in left field but have you guys ever considered doing away with the phone mounts and just buying a smartwatch? My turn by turn directions show up on my wrist and I can see them even with my hand on the steering wheel. I can change music from my watch, reply to texts and emails. Get GPS directions by speech. Phone just kind of stays in the pocket since I purchased one. All speech, hands free and you never have to take your eyes off the road.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
Here is the holder you want
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

Love mine. I plug my phone in to my Dension unit so it charges as I drive. Mounted on drivers side center air vent. keeps the phone cool and easily within reach. Works perfect and is easily removable. They now have a slightly bigger version for Phablet phones like the 6+ and the S5 samsung
this thing looks ridiculously fragile and too small/slight to even hold a credit card in calm conditions. that being said...i borrowed one from a track buddy for a run session yesterday (to use Harry's Lap Timer) and DAMN am i impressed. the phone stayed put (and i'm a pretty darn good driver on a bumpy, fast, and tight track). i mounted it on the center-right vent, just below and to the right of the vent slider. and i had the bottom of the iphone resting/braced on the right side radio console panel. like i said, it. did not. BUDGE. very impressive for such a simple design.

(and slightly discouraging for other reasons, as i was able to see during the session that i did not hit my personal best! usually i have to wait til after the session when checking the smartycam to be disappointed. )
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM
FFSstavros
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use the CD mount slot holder and have been very happy. When I moved from the iPhone 4S over the 6, I've found that the rotated (landscape) position is the best setup. Living in central Florida putting something up that is going to cover the A/C vents is just not in the plan

Quick Reply: my iphone mount