Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awful clanking noise from engine - Porsche can't fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I'd say with 97% certainty something valve train related. Sloppy timing chain hitting the inside of engine case, faulty timing chain advance mechanism slopping fore and aft, timing chain tensioner assembled without a part, timing chain tensioner (that was supposedly not assembled but is still in the engine) cracked and the pieces are bouncing around and getting smacked against the inside of the case. Even though it has a somewhat electrical sound, it's too loud to be electrical.

These guys have tried everything under the sun outside the engine hoping they wouldn't have to pull and crack the engine. Depending upon what dealer you have they likely rarely do this.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
This sounds like your best diagnosis. If it were electrical I'd suspect anything capable of creating that loud of an arch would have fried electrical components already. Plus you said they have identified missing parts from the initial installation. GL
Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

That does sound like an electrical arc to me.

You definitely have a California lemon law claim. Lemon law applies for the entire warranty period. That said, the law is rather ambiguous as it states "a reasonable number of repair attempts". You might think the # of attempts to be unreasonable. They might say otherwise. You might have to have a court or arbitrator decide. Real pain to go that route. Regardless, you will be charged for your use of the car up until the point you first brought it in for the problem. So a full replacement vehicle with no cost to you is probably not in the cards. Good luck...
Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Just wanted to update everyone. PCNA has agreed to replace the entire motor with a remanufactured unit. I think that was the fair and reasonable thing to do. I really think the service mgr and PCNA technician were very careful and methodical in looking for the source of the noise. I asked, and electrical was one of the first things they looked at. And there was no evidence of metal in the oil filter. Everyone had great advice, I really appreciate it, and I was definitely started to head down the lemon law route, although my preference was to have PCNA do the right thing. Will report back again once this is all resolved.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Keep us updated. And remember to document everything!

Also, quick question.... is your car a PDK or 6 speed?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Keep us updated. And remember to document everything!

Also, quick question.... is your car a PDK or 6 speed?
Thanks, will do.
It's a PDK.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

That's good to hear. While it can be a bit upsetting for a new car to have to get its engine replaced, this is actually preferable to letting the dealer techs at the engine.

Now, I'm not suggesting they are not capable of this kind of work, but many dealers are just not set up for engine tear downs and rebuilds.

And if the car is under warranty the factory makes the call as to what gets done.

The factory would prefer to have the engine back in its hands to perform a postmortem on the engine, and then if possible rebuild/repair it to have on the shelf as a back up replacement engine.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And a lot less time at the shop for a swap vs rebuild. Plus you would suspect that torque specs (or estimation of bolt stretch,thanks fred) would be more accurately followed.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
That's good to hear. While it can be a bit upsetting for a new car to have to get its engine replaced, this is actually preferable to letting the dealer techs at the engine.
Great news. A factory remanufactured engine is the next best thing to brand new.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm assuming they will give you a rental car for the down time. When you get your car back, take it for a long test drive before signing off on the repair and replace engine. How tight are you with your dealer? Will they let you take the car for the weekend and sign off on the work order on Monday?
It sounds as if your problem is all sorted out. Another report when you get it back on the road.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I'd say with 97% certainty something valve train related. Sloppy timing chain hitting the inside of engine case, faulty timing chain advance mechanism slopping fore and aft, timing chain tensioner assembled without a part, timing chain tensioner (that was supposedly not assembled but is still in the engine) cracked and the pieces are bouncing around and getting smacked against the inside of the case. Even though it has a somewhat electrical sound, it's too loud to be electrical.

These guys have tried everything under the sun outside the engine hoping they wouldn't have to pull and crack the engine. Depending upon what dealer you have they likely rarely do this.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Originally Posted by jkw911
This sounds like your best diagnosis. If it were electrical I'd suspect anything capable of creating that loud of an arch would have fried electrical components already. Plus you said they have identified missing parts from the initial installation. GL
Late reply and probably moot now since you are getting a replacement engine, but I'm in the camp with these two posts above. I'd look to see if the timing chain some how has been stretched or damaged to cause the sounds. You may never know now and unless the replacement engine makes the same noise, may no longer care. It would be nice to know what is ultimately decided to be the cause - let us know if you ever find out. Did they physically investigate timing chain issues (i.e. drop the engine, take off bell housing cover, etc)?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why a remanufactured engine and not a new engine? You bought the car new with a new engine, right?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Why a remanufactured engine and not a new engine? You bought the car new with a new engine, right?
There is no such thing as a new engine. Not in the Porsche catalog. My dealer said there is no way to order one, there was only one part number for a replacement engine and it is denoted re-manufactured.

There has been tons written about this especially in the early 2000s when engines were blowing left and right. The general belief back then was there really was no such thing as re-manufactured, and that they were simply new.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Many years ago when I owned my 911SC you could still purchase new engines from the factory. The prices were more than a clean, nice running SC at the time so very few people bought new engines. Then, as now, you just chose your favorite Porsche engine builder to rebuild your original engine. Keeps the Certificate of Authenticity (if you're into that sort of thing) less confusing as well.

Quick Reply: Awful clanking noise from engine - Porsche can't fix it!