Sponsored by:

New Porsche pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Put your cash into hard things...like Porsches...because the other stuff, like bank accounts, will never keep up as Washington directs the Fed to continue printing money. Washington is also manipulating the gold market so you can't even go there to hedge your hard earned dollars. I hate to turn this into a political discussion, but sadly, that's all that's left.

Porsche has historically subsidized buyers in the USA with their lowered prices. Perhaps now we are starting to pay our fair share for these things.
Edge01, your comment caused me to remember an article I saw this spring. I think they are making out pretty well with 911s these days: See http://www.businessweek.com/articles...at-new-porsche
Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
I'm in the camp where I'd rather see the price of options go up versus the cost of the base car. It's a bit self serving but it works for me. I sort of made a rule for myself many years ago and decided any car with a MSRP over 100k I would only entertain buying used. When I say used I mean barely used and up to my standards, usually 4 year old cars with barely any miles and immaculate service histories. The reason it works for me? There is barely any price difference on used vehicles despite how loaded they may be. 20k options may translate to a 3-4k larger ask on a used vehicle. So by my own rule I'll never own a new Porsche even though I absolutely love the new car buying experience. Letting someone else eat the brunt of the depreciation and option cost satisfies the inherently thrifty CFO side of my brain
100% agree, this is the smart play. An example: those $180K 997 Turbo S's can be had for $120-$130K now with low miles!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Edgy, while I agree the stupid Fed money printing is absolutely going to cause unforeseen consequences in the future (even today they said to continue their *accommodating strategy*), probably investing in a Porsche is not the best idea, UNLESS it's a 997.2 GT3 RS where their prices have gone through the roof!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That is why I never bought a new car in my life. Bought my 991s with 10000 miles for 86k in late 2013.

Now cheap and expensive is relative, the guy that bought a 993S in 1998 for 40k and enjoying the car for years, and let's say 50k miles, he can still sell the car for over what he bought. I would say that few cars have that potential, and it would have been cheaper than having 4 Acuras along the way.

As far as the Bose sound that was mentioned in the beginning of the thread the best way to judge the overprice from Porsche is to look at other manufacturer that offer the same option, how much is Acura charging for the top premium audio? 600 maybe, and Audi? I would guess that the 2000k upgrade cost is somewhat expensive.

But the most absurd option on the Porsche is the Sport Plus button, it is just a software switch to make the car more responsive, in a sports car that should be standard. Sport Plus should the base reaction of the car and you should have an Economy button, not the other way around, but hey, another way to make money.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by KWP1911
This is what it all boils down to.

New Porsche pricing going up? Why? ... because they can. Simple. We keep buying them.

from wiki.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 10-27-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I never recalled that "luxury items" alone could be used as a leading indicator to forecast a recession. But by looking at the purchase numbers for the 911 (997) in MYs 2008, 2009 & 2010, it was clear that the recession of 2008-10 was coming in MY 2008.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

All the money is in the options, they prey on your desire to one-up your neighbors and friends who also managed to score that new 911. Oh but yours has those 600 dollar yellow seatbelts....you're not just keeping up with them you're winning now - they know how superficial most people are and they exploit the **** out of you. Very smart.

I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche starts offering "electronic key fobs" with porsche crest as a new 760 dollar option.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM
jmt053
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche is very profitable and yes options are a great source of profitability. It's not just Porsche doing this. All the luxury brands are. Price out a BMW 3 series. It starts out in the $35k range and ends up in the $50K range with options most people want. Both Porsche and BMW ( I imagine Audi, MB, etc too) bundle options. You want one option, but you have to buy a bundle to get it. It's easier and cheaper to manufacture this way.
To say that these companies "prey" on people implies we are all victims. I disagree and say we all chose to buy a 997. New or Used, we still paid for those options one way or another.
In the chart above it shows that Porsche sold only 43% as many 997s in 2010 as they did n 2007. I remember talking to a Porsche sales rep in 2011 and he said they just weren't selling much. The economy hadn't recovered enough to spur those kinds of car sales. I don't know, but I would guess that they were willing to bargain a lot more in those down years than today.
It's basic economics. What the market will bear.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmt053
Porsche is very profitable and yes options are a great source of profitability. It's not just Porsche doing this. All the luxury brands are. Price out a BMW 3 series. It starts out in the $35k range and ends up in the $50K range with options most people want. Both Porsche and BMW ( I imagine Audi, MB, etc too) bundle options. You want one option, but you have to buy a bundle to get it. It's easier and cheaper to manufacture this way.
To say that these companies "prey" on people implies we are all victims. I disagree and say we all chose to buy a 997. New or Used, we still paid for those options one way or another.
In the chart above it shows that Porsche sold only 43% as many 997s in 2010 as they did n 2007. I remember talking to a Porsche sales rep in 2011 and he said they just weren't selling much. The economy hadn't recovered enough to spur those kinds of car sales. I don't know, but I would guess that they were willing to bargain a lot more in those down years than today.
I agree, we are definitely not victims. There is no conspiracy, no preying on people. These are elective purchases.

The cars are much more expensive than they were, because these cars are a lot better than they were.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmt053
Agree with you on that, my choice of wording "prey" is off - rather "exploit" is best suited.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You want one option, but you have to buy a bundle to get it. It's easier and cheaper to manufacture this way.
The Big Three have been using this strategy for decades. Bottom line: "if you want it; you pay for it". If not, you walk away and find another solution.

Even the Japanese who first looked to gain market share, before looking to sustain their business model with profitable vehicles are now 20 years into the luxury market. These companies are in the business to make money.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova997
The Big Three have been using this strategy for decades. Bottom line: "if you want it; you pay for it". If not, you walk away and find another solution. Even the Japanese who first looked to gain market share, before looking to sustain their business model with profitable vehicles are now 20 years into the luxury market. These companies are in the business to make money.
Wait so making cars is one of those profit things? Maybe if we could take the profit out of it we could all be driving around in Yugos and Trabants. Don't like it, don't buy it, end of story.

Quick Reply: New Porsche pricing...