Sponsored by:

Saturday at Canepa

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Saturday at Canepa

Well, I wasn't sure how I would label this post, but couldn't see myself haggling over it like the first line of Moby Dick (I always remember an old cartoon where the writer had a block on the first line, and it had Call me Ahab, (crossed out) Call me Samuel, (crossed out) Call me Robert, (crossed out) etc.

So without further adieu:

Call me Ishmael.

This is a tale of four Porsches and a Corvette piloted by an amiable enough group, over hill and dale, through the mighty redwoods of Northern California, along the ridges, and down through the canyons of the Santa Cruz mountains to a magical place known as Canepa.

For me the story began early in the week when a thread was started by a fellow rennlister looking for a place to meet other Porsche folk, particularly of the 997 loving category. As the thread unfolded, some familiar names began to appear, and several ideas began to bubble up. Eventually, it was decided that those interested would meet early in the morning, (well before the Priuses and Highway Patrol were out of bed) somewhere in the fog at the start of Highway 35, the famous Skyline Boulevard.

I tried to get to bed early the night before, but was still undecided if I could make the early call time. - But as fate would have it, my alarm clock did not fail me, and David and his Beautiful White C4s pinged me just to be sure, as the sun was only just poking its head over the feet of Mount Diablo.

I got up, quickly showered, packed a PB&J sandwich into my bag, and jumped in the gray frog for a rendezvous in Mill Valley.

There I met David and we hustled across the bridge and through the city to meet the others at a pin on the map in the mountains.

When we got there, the others were already waiting for us, Ronan with his Beautiful 997.2 Targa 4, Joe with his 10 days old GTS, and Jay with his Porsche loving Corvette.

We took a few quick photos, made our friendly hellos, and 4 flat sixes and one V8 roared to life as Joe lead us down the ridge and into the sunshine.

Already Joe and his lightning quick GTS are disappearing into the morning mist:

and now Ronan disappears into the foggy tunnel of trees...

One line I'll always remember before pulling out of the meeting spot, was Joe saying, "Now, I don't drive fast like I used to 20 years ago, so..." and I believe we all (except for Jay) misread the look in his eyes at that moment, because looking back now I can say it wasn't a wistful gleam of memories long passed, it was more akin to the devilish twinkle in the eye of a driver with more history and experience on this road than all of us combined, and likely for many years still to come... hahahaha -

Off we went, and rip roaring over the hills and through the trees and into the warm morning sun we charged.

I even managed to sling my camera over my shoulder and catch this shot of Jay adding the V8 Rumble to the Flat Six symphony resounding through the trees...

Now, as a sometimes-photographer, I can tell you - shooting from the hip over the windshield is one thing, but behind the back over the shoulder no-look snappin, is no easy feat.

Between that and a few heart pounding moments in the passing zones, we all decided to pull in for a quick break, and I wolfed that PB&J I had mentioned earlier.

We laughed about some of the moments, and remarked at how the temperature had jumped about 20˚, and jumped back in our cars to go get after it some more.

Down the hill and through the single lane switch-backs,

...and finally we gallop onto the 17 and are within striking distance of Scott's Valley,

and within minutes, we arrive at Canepa... VICTORY IS OURS!

and on to Chapter 2.

Last edited by Comanche_699; 09-16-2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: tweaking youtube link
Old 09-16-2014, 04:30 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

The parking lot... It was jammed to the gills with amazing cars, and what was amazing about that fact is that we honestly had seen absolutely nothing yet. (!!!)

For example, this BMW Alpina B12 is I believe 1 of only 2 in The United States.

and just a few more shots from the parking lot...

Porsche 550 Spyder

A car, and some coffee...

Grampy:

and we are literally only seeing the tippity top of the iceberg here. hahaha

Here are a couple pix from inside that I cannot resist posting right away.

The 917k which earned 100 points at the Carmel Concours for being absolutely perfect:

a moment of absolute AWE.

No. But, I mean... Seriously?!

and furthermore:

Others, please post away.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome trip report and pics, Dan!!!

Now I know what the white c4s' fat tush looks like when it is rolling...not bad.

Here are some of my snaps...I've got an early AM in the office but when I emerge later today I'll hopefully have time to post some more pics from the Canepa Candy Store...I'll start with Porsches + more Porsches...
Attached Images          
Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Terrific pictures. I really need to take a ride down to Canepa on of these days to drool and dream.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Amazing shots! Thank you for letting all of us tag along

My favorite shot:

Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for sharing your ride. Fantastic pics and cars. Is Canepa a dealer that just happens to have some of these great historic cars? I did read the thread on the 917 004/017 chassis, very cool.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

LittleGreen- check the first post, the word Canepa in the opening paragraph is a link to their site, if you click the history tab, it takes you to more detailed information about the size and breadth of their organization. There's also some great videos of Bruce Canepa being a badass behind the wheel of many amazing vehicles.

The company has several branches from sales & restoration to racing & design. It's a pretty impressive little empire with a formidable background steeped in a nearly unparalleled passion for great cars.

I hope to add another chapter tonight.

- Dan
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM
evoq007
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

We should try to do this again on Oct 11th. I should be in the US this time as well!

Sorry i missed this run.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, absolutely epic trip! Really bummed I missed out.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I missed the Canepa tour during Parade in Monterey this year. While the rest of the tour was commencing, I was buying tires at the local Porsche dealership. Bummer, I've heard amazing things.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Terrific pics lads, and great story telling! I'm not sure how you managed to keep up in the convoy and take those pics, mad skills! Looking forward to the next run
Old 09-17-2014, 01:54 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Great thread and pictures!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Missed the link the first time with all the great pics. Must visit this place next time I am in Cali. Looks like it's worth spending an extra day just to visit.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I may be able to make it down there again on Oct 11.

In the meantime, I'm greatly looking forward to the run that Joe has planned for early Friday AM through Marin, Sonoma and Napa, shepherding Joris (a Belgium Rennlister) east into the Sierra.

The thread is here...the more the merrier.

Here are some more pics...
Attached Images           
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And some more...
Attached Images           

Quick Reply: Saturday at Canepa