Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Pop" Sound on shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely not the exhaust. This is stereo. Any electrical experts out there know what could be causing a loud pop with the stereo when the car shuts off?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde07
Definitely not the exhaust. This is stereo. Any electrical experts out there know what could be causing a loud pop with the stereo when the car shuts off?
I'm no expert, but we (I mean all of us) should start with some baseline info:

- How long have you owned it
- Year
- stock or aftermarket stereo and speakers
- stereo configuration Bose, etc
- any recent work done in the cockpit, added any new anything that needs 12 volts
- any recent work done anywhere on the car electric related including engine work.

So if it's a "pop" that is coming through a speaker, try getting your ear close to one of the speakers and confirm that.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:05 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
I'm no expert, but we (I mean all of us) should start with some baseline info:

- How long have you owned it
- Year
- stock or aftermarket stereo and speakers
- stereo configuration Bose, etc
- any recent work done in the cockpit, added any new anything that needs 12 volts
- any recent work done anywhere on the car electric related including engine work.

So if it's a "pop" that is coming through a speaker, try getting your ear close to one of the speakers and confirm that.
1 week. 2007 c2s. Completely stock stereo, not Bose.

Did find tookie manual in owners manual, does not appear to be installed though
Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Does not really have to be bose or what, but i think even the stock stereo has an amp. This popping sound is usually a defective amplifier...
Old 09-20-2014, 04:35 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

The amplifier part of the stereo has capacitors. I suspect something is causing it to arc over after shutdown. It can be corrosion, heavy accumulation of dust or even a spider web (yep had one of those causing issues in my Volvo 240 ECU)

If you know the previous owner, it might be worth asking if there were any aftermarket electronics installed and since removed prior to the sale. I've seen too many times bad aftermarket wiring jobs made worse with a de-install. Usually it's the grounds that are forgotten about.

Have you opened the fuse panel and check the fuses and look for signs of aftermarket fuse multipliers?

Does the POP happen if the stereo/PCM is off at shutdown?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

The amplifier part of the stereo has capacitors. I suspect something is causing it to arc over after shutdown. It can be corrosion, heavy accumulation of dust or even a spider web (yep had one of those causing issues in my Volvo 240 ECU)

If you know the previous owner, it might be worth asking if there were any aftermarket electronics installed and since removed prior to the sale. I've seen too many times bad aftermarket wiring jobs made worse with a de-install. Usually it's the grounds that are forgotten about.

Have you opened the fuse panel and check the fuses and look for signs of aftermarket fuse multipliers?

Does the POP happen if the stereo/PCM is off at shutdown?
This is interesting, I will have to try to shut off the stereo first and see if that pops.

It looks like there is an amp in the frunk where the oem toolkit and everything are...is that the standard location? If so I can check the connections there and see if there are any obvious issues.

I'm starting to think tookie was installed and uninstalled incorrectly, causing this. Good think I'm useless when it comes to electrical work
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure that Porsche did not install an amp in the frunk, but I don't know the 2007 models. Looks like you have some after market components. Can you take a picture of what's in the frunk? Please capture the make and any wiring connections on the component.

Turning the receiver off in cockpit may or may not affect the component in the frunk. It will depend on how the installer wired everything up.

Please, what the heck is "tookie"?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 AM
ElVerde07
Advanced

I'm pretty sure that Porsche did not install an amp in the frunk, but I don't know the 2007 models. Looks like you have some after market components. Can you take a picture of what's in the frunk? Please capture the make and any wiring connections on the component.

Turning the receiver off in cockpit may or may not affect the component in the frunk. It will depend on how the installer wired everything up.

Please, what the heck is "tookie"?
Hah sorry. Tookie is apparently something that allows you to make bluetooth calls through stereo speakers. From what I've read it is installed behind the stock head unit, and I haven't looked.

Attached is a photo of the frunk... It looks ampish and has a porsche sticker, and apparently some handwritten tag that says 08 porsche. Mine is an 07, oddly.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

That certainly is a Porsche amp and appears to be installed in a factory location. I would search via Rennlist and Google the part number 997.645.331.01 part of the Sound System Plus ASK system. A few threads on those amps failing which it appears to have happened at least once with your 911 given the ducktaped sticker with "08".

The amplifier would be on my short list of things to investigate. If I could figure out the fuse that feeds the amp, I'd be inclined to pull that fuse and see what happens relative to a POP sound. here is a good read http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...kage-plus.html
Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Turning the key to run and not starting it, let it sit for a minute. Power up the stereo. Then turn the car off? Does it still go pop?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:20 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

That certainly is a Porsche amp and appears to be installed in a factory location. I would search via Rennlist and Google the part number 997.645.331.01 part of the Sound System Plus ASK system. A few threads on those amps failing which it appears to have happened at least once with your 911 given the ducktaped sticker with "08".

The amplifier would be on my short list of things to investigate. If I could figure out the fuse that feeds the amp, I'd be inclined to pull that fuse and see what happens relative to a POP sound. here is a good read http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...kage-plus.html
Cool...my thoughts exactly. I'll have this checked out and get back to you guys. Amp seems like the obvious culprit.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:46 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ElVerde07
... Amp seems like the obvious culprit.
...but not until your try what BigSmoke said to try.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Turning the key to run and not starting it, let it sit for a minute. Power up the stereo. Then turn the car off? Does it still go pop?
I have turned the key to "on" several times without starting the car, stereo comes on automatically. After shut down, the car does pop.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

We'll make an electrical wizard out of you yet...

One more test. With the car off, remove the wiring harness from the amplifier. repeat the earlier key /stereo on but do not start. Then turn it off. Does it pop? If not, replacing the ASK amp is the direction I would head. However, something upstream from the amp could be discharging through the amp at shutdown, but based on ASK amplifiers' history, it's probably the amp.

Based on this link, I offer a few thoughts, http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ement-diy.html

- ask around town about really good auto stereo installers who've been doing it a while.
- Print the article out, ask them what they would recommend. It's not a difficult job especially since the wiring has been sorted

You can also go this route. 5 year warranty and less expensive ($100 euro) than having someone install an aftermarket amp. Send the guy an email describing the issue and see what he says. http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html . It keeps everything factory.

Last edited by CAVU; 09-24-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

We'll make an electrical wizard out of you yet...

One more test. With the car off, remove the wiring harness from the amplifier. repeat the earlier key /stereo on but do not start. Then turn it off. Does it pop? If not, replacing the ASK amp is the direction I would head. However, something upstream from the amp could be discharging through the amp at shutdown, but based on ASK amplifiers' history, it's probably the amp.

Based on this link, I offer a few thoughts, http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ement-diy.html

- ask around town about really good auto stereo installers who've been doing it a while.
- Print the article out, ask them what they would recommend. It's not a difficult job especially since the wiring has been sorted

You can also go this route. 5 year warranty and less expensive ($100 euro) than having someone install an aftermarket amp. Send the guy an email describing the issue and see what he says. http://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/services.html . It keeps everything factory.
I've wanted to upgrade the head unit to do navi/bluetooth anyways...maybe now is the time!

I appreciate all the help, everyone!

Quick Reply: "Pop" Sound on shutdown?