997.2 wife driving me nuts need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM
ChuckHawk993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 997.2 wife driving me nuts need advice

deleting posts

Last edited by ChuckHawk993; 09-14-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: trying to delete figure not appropriate
Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Man, I dont have this situation at all. My wife would be mortified if she scratched the car. Not because she really cares but because she knows how much I do. I suggest trying to discuss it when you're not in the heat of the moment. Explain that it really bothers you that she doesn't acknowledge / respect your "ways". My wife comes from a long line of "un-car" people. She doesn't understand but she lets me do my thing. The parts show up, the weekend track adventures, whatever. I just pay it forward whenever I can.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM
ChuckHawk993
Track Day

Hi thanks for the reply, I deleted it or tried to figuring no one would take it seriously, i love cars in general and take care of them and Porsches are a passion of mine, thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move the wife out and the girlfriend in?

Seriously, my wife is/was the same way. To her a car is just a tool that sometimes get damaged and it's not a big deal. Over the years she's given in to my immaculate no micro scratch paint protocol and is extra careful around all of my cars and now very careful with hers as well. She voluntarily refuses to drive any of my special cars even though I've insisted she drive them once in a while.

She'll never be as fanatical as I am but she's basically come to the realization that my infatuation with immaculate cars is not going to go away. The reality sunk in when I detailed her BMW and she watched me on and off for 2 entire days doing a 3 stage polish. I did half the hood to begin with and left the other half alone. Pulled it out into the sun and showed her the difference. That was the moment of clarity and since then she's been much more careful around all the cars. We've sort of reached a happy medium. She gets the car hand washed when I can't do it, she doesn't sit stuff on top of the cars anymore and she's more aware of how her nails and habits do gradual damage to the paint. In reality that's all I can ask for.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM
BSU
Advanced

Tough situation. I'm sure she has noticed your sensitivity about the car and she is probably annoyed by it. My guess is that she is offended at being scolded and you are not going to change her. It is BS, but your best bet may be to back off and try to let things slide and resign yourself to cleaning up the aftermath.

Now, if you could educate her about paint care and swirl marks as Eskill said, maybe you could make some progress. Question is, will she listen?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:31 PM
ChuckHawk993
Track Day

hey thanks for the replies, I didn't think I was going to get any so I deleted it anyone have the original post i put up there, I am rusty at Rennlist have been member years ago and joined again back in 2011.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

you deleted the original post because you didn't get replies within minutes of posting it?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't catch the original post but I think I have an idea of what's going on based on some of the responses.

My wife knows i'm fanatical about my cars, she takes great care when she opens the door NOT to smash it into the Boss302 parked right next to it in the garage etc. and it really makes me feel at ease.

These cars took a lot of hard work and passion to acquire so anyone who cannot respect your property definitely needs a sit down.

She has witnessed the effort I put into everything from the paint job to the routine maintenance to parking it FAR away from lazy fat people who insist on destroying everything around them when they exit a vehicle. She knows to be careful and it works out. Also she loves the cars and it helps that we enjoy them together. We drive all over the country for trips so of course she wants to keep it nice too.

Anyway good luck, hope you resolve it and hopefully can earn a bit more respect for your property from the loved ones.

Last edited by Para82; 09-15-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I didn't catch the original post but I think I have an idea of what's going on based on some of the responses.

My wife knows i'm fanatical about my cars, she takes great car when she opens the door NOT to smash it into the Boss302 parked right next to it in the garage etc. and it really makes me feel at ease.

These cars took a lot of hard work and passion to acquire so anyone who cannot respect your property definitely needs a sit down.

She has witnessed the effort I put into everything from the paint job to the routine maintenance to parking it FAR away from lazy fat people who insist on destroying everything around them when they exit a vehicle. She knows to be careful and it works out. Also she loves the cars and it helps that we enjoy them together. We drive all over the country for trips so of course she wants to keep it nice too.

Anyway good luck, hope you resolve it and hopefully can earn a bit more respect for your property from the loved ones.
In SoCal you have to park far away to avoid lazy inconsiderate people. Fat people haven't cornered the market.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM
ChuckHawk993
Track Day

RE BuddhaMonk "you deleted the original post because you didn't get replies within minutes of posting it?"

I deleted the post since I thought that maybe this was not the appropriate place to post the question or a post that might be considered to be pretty silly or the haters would start flaming the post, i don't think we need the original post, people can get the general idea from it and provide some good insight.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Not at all, nothing to worry about, no judgement here. Though we have a few posters who like to wear their member's only jacket - share away brother.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Just a thought about the OP's impatience on the post... many other forums have much quicker responses because they have so many more members. If you are used to that world you will be disappointed here. Some of the other "sports cars" have more than a hundred times more users so you get a lot more posts a lot more quickly.

OP, welcome to the more rarefied world of Porsche ownership. With low volume cars comes low volume traffic.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:50 PM
ChuckHawk993
Track Day

not sure why some of you want to keep bringing up the impatience of my original post since this has nothing to do with the thread. I was a member of Rennlist many years ago, left and came back in 2011, I had a 928S, a 993 and now a 997S, so I'm not new to Porsche or Rennlist and came to the 997 forum because my current p-car is a 2nd generation 997 S. I'm looking for some positive information which I've already gotten.

Thank you to those who have actually provided some good insight, I appreciate it.

Last edited by ChuckHawk993; 09-15-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: to get the thread back on course
Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckHawk993
not sure why some of you want to keep bringing up the impatience of my original post since this has nothing to do with the thread. I was a member of Rennlist many years ago, left and came back in 2011, I had a 928S, a 993 and now a 997S, so I'm not new to Porsche or Rennlist and came to the 997 forum because my current p-car is a 2nd generation 997 S. I'm looking for some positive information which I've already gotten.

Thank you to those who have actually provided some good insight, I appreciate it.
Geez... you said "hey thanks for the replies, I didn't think I was going to get any so I deleted it" within 45 minutes of your initial post. My comment was attempting to come to your aid in stating that and the subsequent post referencing that. Good job of biting back at those trying to support you... and maybe that does have something to do with your original post. Hmmm.... that "heat of the moment" response earlier all becomes much clearer now.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditch the wife

Quick Reply: 997.2 wife driving me nuts need advice