Sponsored by:

Durametric

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 AM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Durametric

I received my Durametric cable yesterday. The cable comes with no instructions. You must print the 28 page instructions from their web site. My car showed no code faults, which is good. I reset the service reminder but it reset at 20,000 miles or two years. When I purchased the car a year ago from a Porsche dealer, they had performed all required service and reset the service reminder to 10,000 miles or one year. Don't know why the Durametric reset it to 20,000 miles. No big deal as I change the oil every 6,000 miles and will reset at that point.
I purchased the cable because my dealer is 70 miles away and charges $200 for an oil change. I can change the oil for about $65 including the filter. Now I can reset the service reminder and do other diagnostics on the car.
I figure if I sell my Porsche in the future, I can always sell the cable as it is good for three cars and it is in demand.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep that the durametric reset for you. I asked them about this many years ago. What they do is reset hard to the major service interval level (2yrs/20k mi). A proper reset tool would let you program in the time and mileage to a set the reminder to, so that the reminder can actually be used to remind you - not with durametric, all you can do is clear the reminder and set it to far off in the future.. if it comes on a gain. So when you get the reminder again you will have missed a few service items if you rely on the reminder. Durametric has yet to figure out how to properly (if it even can) set many of the things in the computers.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I called Durametic this afternoon. They told me they reset the service reminder to the factory settings when the car left the factory. What was Porsche thinking when they originally had a two year or 20,000 oil change?

Quick Reply: Durametric