Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing front spoiler...how to??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:23 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Changing front spoiler...how to??

Just bought my 06 997. It came with a black front lower spoiler installed, and the seller had purchased a Guards Red additional one. How do I swap them out? I see 6 torx screws holding the lower "cover" in place. I think the screws holding the actual spoiler are under that cover?

Am I on the right track? Haven't had the car in the air yet, so its a little hard to see.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Are you referring to the aero kit lower front spoiler? (GT3 look)

If so, there should be screws in the front of the wheel well securing the lip at it's ends. Remove those and then slowly start prying/working the lip out of the little retaining holes that secure it. They're like little press fit/interlocking tabs that secure it all along the top of the spoiler. Relatively easy to do once you're down there poking around. Install is just the reverse. Start in the center and work your way left/right towards the wheel wells.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Post a pic. If it's aftermarket like mine there should be screws holding it to the inside of the wheel well. There will also be a few underneath. Mine has sticky 3M tape where it actually touches the face of the front bumper. Remove very carefully once all the screw are out
Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Originally Posted by AWay
Are you referring to the aero kit lower front spoiler? (GT3 look)

If so, there should be screws in the front of the wheel well securing the lip at it's ends. Remove those and then slowly start prying/working the lip out of the little retaining holes that secure it. They're like little press fit/interlocking tabs that secure it all along the top of the spoiler. Relatively easy to do once you're down there poking around. Install is just the reverse. Start in the center and work your way left/right towards the wheel wells.
It is the stock Aero kit...

Originally Posted by Little Green
Post a pic. If it's aftermarket like mine there should be screws holding it to the inside of the wheel well. There will also be a few underneath. Mine has sticky 3M tape where it actually touches the face of the front bumper. Remove very carefully once all the screw are out
I'll get a couple of pic's up. I figured it is pretty straightforward.

Thanks..
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Only the ends should have screws -- at the wheel arches. Mine are out so I can pop it off in a minute if needed (the ends that meet the wheel arch don't stick out when the screws are missing, so I keep the screws out. The front chin spoiler is low and you might want to pop it off from time to time).

The rest just pops out. Small tabs hold it in place. Just sort of lift and pull... you'll see where it's holding on... move your hands along starting at the wheel arch and just pop each little catch point out. The tabs that clip into the car bumper are molded into the chin spoiler.

After the two end screws are out, it should take 60-90 seconds to just pop the chin spoiler off.

You can see the tabs in this photo. They just have a little extra wedge on them that catches and grabs the bumper hold.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Only the ends should have screws -- at the wheel arches. Mine are out so I can pop it off in a minute if needed (the ends that meet the wheel arch don't stick out when the screws are missing, so I keep the screws out. The front chin spoiler is low and you might want to pop it off from time to time).

The rest just pops out. Small tabs hold it in place. Just sort of lift and pull... you'll see where it's holding on... move your hands along starting at the wheel arch and just pop each little catch point out. The tabs that clip into the car bumper are molded into the chin spoiler.

After the two end screws are out, it should take 60-90 seconds to just pop the chin spoiler off.

You can see the tabs in this photo. They just have a little extra wedge on them that catches and grabs the bumper hold.

And when you replace it's easier to start with the tab in the middle and work your way to the ends - very easy job.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Delete. Wrong forum. Doh!

Last edited by Spinout; 09-11-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:54 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Yep, about 90 seconds!! Thanks! Pictures!! Love the red spoiler...
Attached Images   

Last edited by makoshark72; 09-11-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Awesome. Love my aerokit. Worth the aggravation! Watch the speed bumps, driveway entrances and, well, just about everything else! It's all about angles!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spinout
Not to hijack but I was under my car last weekend trying to figure out the same thing….

I’ve been considering adding an aero lip to my 40thAE which has a stock turbo bumper and lip to balance the added downforce of the GT3 wing I’ve installed.

Assuming installation is opposite for removal, will a $100 eBay aero lip go on easy ? Do the alignment tabs line up correctly? These are consumables on my track car so I’d rather not blow $800+ for the OEM each time I replace it. I typically go through 2 a year.

So…, do these cheaper aftermarket aero lips fit decently? I’m not looking for concourse quality fitment.
Post a new thread. There is considerable drama when discussing non-aerokit lips and various trial and error stories from other Rennlisters, who've done a lot of work to figure out what lips to buy for non-aerokit cars.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:02 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Awesome. Love my aerokit. Worth the aggravation! Watch the speed bumps, driveway entrances and, well, just about everything else! It's all about angles!

I came from a Corvette Grand Sport... MUCH more clearance with the 911. The VETTE scraped just about everything... I do love the aerokit as well..

Thanks for the tip on changing out the chin spoiler.. I would have NOT figured it was so easy!

Quick Reply: Changing front spoiler...how to??