Sponsored by:

2006 C4S Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM
9SIX8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 C4S Purchase Advice

I am thinking about getting back into the Porsche game after an 11 year hiatus with my BMW. I was checking out a 32k mile 997 C4s at a local MB dealer and the paint micrometer revealed some paintwork on the passenger rear tail light area that blended towards the passenger rear window. The car read 5-6 range and the painted area read 10 pts higher.

The car is a one owner vehicle that was serviced at the sister Porsche dealership but would not release records to me. They did speak to the sales manager and there was no history of paintwork through them. The CarFax also shows no accident history.

Given this is the case, should I be concerned about this or is it no big deal? I am thinking if it was a big hit, insurance would have stepped in and therefore I'd pass. But if it was a fender bender, perhaps it's not such a big deal.

The negotiated price is $47.5k, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Price should be better in my opinion. I am assuming there is no warranty. I had a loaded 06 C4S with a bit more miles with CPO lined up for $49k last November before the dealer sold it out from under me. One owner. Clean DME. No accidents. And dealer showed me all the service records they had.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would steer away from a car that has had body work unless it is a screaming deal. Not saying $47.5 is too much for an '06 C4S but I think you could find a newer car with less miles and no stories for not a lot more.

This is just my opinion, your milage may very....
Old 09-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 9SIX8
I am thinking about getting back into the Porsche game after an 11 year hiatus with my BMW. I was checking out a 32k mile 997 C4s at a local MB dealer and the paint micrometer revealed some paintwork on the passenger rear tail light area that blended towards the passenger rear window. The car read 5-6 range and the painted area read 10 pts higher.

The car is a one owner vehicle that was serviced at the sister Porsche dealership but would not release records to me. They did speak to the sales manager and there was no history of paintwork through them. The CarFax also shows no accident history.

Given this is the case, should I be concerned about this or is it no big deal? I am thinking if it was a big hit, insurance would have stepped in and therefore I'd pass. But if it was a fender bender, perhaps it's not such a big deal.

The negotiated price is $47.5k, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
While the dealer would not release the records it could have given you the date/mileages and what was done.

When I was shopping a 996 Turbo various dealers I called did this and I managed to put together a pretty complete history of what services and when they were done for the car I was interested in and eventually bought.

The paintwork could be from a minor fender bender. If it was more serious an accident I think you would have found the paintwork more extensive.

You or better yet someone intimately knowledgeable about these cars need to carefully check out the car's engine bay for any signs of damage repair there and view the car from underneath looking for any signs of damage repair (a mix of new/old parts for instance) to the suspension/drivetrain.

Absent any sign of a more serious impact or lousy repairs the paintwork is of little concern as long as the color matches and the body surface shows no signs of ripples, or other surface imperfections that speak to a lousy repair.

How did the car perform during your test ride/drive?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:45 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

I find the cars in the NYC area to be higher because there's so many Wall St types or rich people up here who can afford this stuff. After a quick search, others are asking for 5-10k more which is why I thought it was a decent deal.

The car drove a lot more neutrally and quietly than I expected, but I have never driven a C4s before. I test drove a 12k mile 2005 base Carrera today, and it was louder, more ferocious feeling. That price is $41k with all books/recs and IMS guardian installed.

The last car I have my eye on is a 2005 C2s 40k miles for about 41k as well. No details on this one yet.

Last edited by 9SIX8; 09-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 C4S Purchase Advice