Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drove in an Elise California yesterday-wow

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014 | 12:59 PM
Instructor

Default drove in an Elise California yesterday-wow

got to drive in a friends elise California edition yesterday-

wow- what an experience. Completely different from a 911, even an older one! The elise is like a 914 on steroids-

exteremly raw, very hard to get in and out, tight once inside...but the way the car handles is impressive. Anyone else ever drive one of these? I couldn't see living with one, maybe I'm getting soft but it was really a race car with a license plate. That said, 1900LB, manual steering, raw aluminum everywhere, really cool car
Old 09-05-2014 | 01:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

One of the few "true sportscars". If you think your modern-day 911 is sports car, get an attitude adjustment and drive an Elise.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-05-2014 | 01:20 PM
Instructor

Amen to that!

I have to say, my old 914 was one of the most fun cars I've ever had. someday I'll get another one for sure.

That said, its not a car I really enjoyed driving at high speeds on the highway or in traffic...I think the Elise is similar. Great weekend car, or fun drive car, but daily use...that could be a bit much
Old 09-05-2014 | 01:25 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
One of the few "true sportscars". If you think your modern-day 911 is sports car, get an attitude adjustment and drive an Elise.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Light, quick, and fun to drive, but my friends have had nothing but problems with their Elises race cars.
Old 09-05-2014 | 06:11 PM
widebodytarga
Instructor

Driven the Elise before and while the handling is sublime, the car just makes way too many concessions to comfort. You look like a complete fool getting in and out of it, there's no leg room, and it rides like a go cart without suspension. That being said as a track weapon its pretty fun.
Old 09-06-2014 | 12:23 AM
mattyf
Pro

Originally Posted by widebodytarga
Driven the Elise before and while the handling is sublime, the car just makes way too many concessions to comfort. You look like a complete fool getting in and out of it, there's no leg room, and it rides like a go cart without suspension. That being said as a track weapon its pretty fun.
So true about looking like a fool getting in. I felt so ridiculous grabbing my legs to pull them over the threshold while getting into my buddies lotus.
Old 09-06-2014 | 12:59 AM
Thedips
Racer

I bought a 2005 Elise brand new in my 20s made a huge mistake thinking that modern day traction control wasn't necessary and thought I was a much better driver than I really was... Spun it out and totaled it instantly didn't even have a chance to make one payment on it.

Got away from sports cars until just recently when I purchased my 997.... As an owner of both I would totally agree that there is just no comparison between an Elise and 911 ownership. A 911 is just a more complete car.
Old 09-06-2014 | 11:08 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thedips
Spun it out and totaled it instantly didn't even have a chance to make one payment on it.
Sounds like most 1st and 2nd Gen Viper buyers.
Old 09-07-2014 | 12:09 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Had an Elise for a couple years- bought it new and really enjoyed it. Have had my first 914 since new, so it felt like a new 914. I'm 6' and fit fine once I was in. My wife hated getting in it, but thought it was fine once in.
Wish I still had it. Would make a great toy for Arizona backroads!

(Way back when on spring break with our kids in England we saw a few on the road- told my boys I'd get one if they ever brought them over here- couldn't let them down )
Old 09-07-2014 | 01:35 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thedips
I bought a 2005 Elise brand new in my 20s made a huge mistake thinking that modern day traction control wasn't necessary and thought I was a much better driver than I really was... Spun it out and totaled it instantly didn't even have a chance to make one payment on it.

Got away from sports cars until just recently when I purchased my 997.... As an owner of both I would totally agree that there is just no comparison between an Elise and 911 ownership. A 911 is just a more complete car.
Is a recent 911 a more complete car?!? In what sense? Is it because it is heavier, bloated, full of nannies and doodads far more so than its original ancestors from the 70s though the 80s?

You are very up-front and honest regarding your driving skill and I respect that. However, should one take the time to improve those skills the reward is real. I would not say that an Elise or a classic air-cooled 911, up to say '87 is a less complete car. I quote Vic Elford who said that "a 911 [a classic model ] is a car that needs to be gently coaxed, and persuaded, and seduced: but never bullied". Once that is understood and practiced, it is a very safe and rewarding sports car. Same applies to an Elise.
Old 09-07-2014 | 09:37 PM
zanwar
Pro

Shame they no longer sell the Elise/Exige here but the Alfa 4C might be able to fill that role in the US market.
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:58 PM
Redline911
Racer

Originally Posted by zanwar
Shame they no longer sell the Elise/Exige here but the Alfa 4C might be able to fill that role in the US market.
There was an Alfa 4C in the concept car area at Pebble Beach this year. I also saw one on the 10 in LA last month. It was a marketing test car. It sounded like a Ferrari and looked amazing. We'll have to wait and see how it drives but it certainly looks and sounds like an Italian exotic!
Old 09-08-2014 | 10:47 AM
Thedips
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
Is a recent 911 a more complete car?!? In what sense?
Just the random general sense. Ie practicality, parts service and maintenance, size, daily drivability , etc.

And about my driving. yes very true I wish I had more time to go take lessons . But maybe After taking care of a few other expenses and life priorities I should look into de events and other type of events held by the local pca

Quick Reply: drove in an Elise California yesterday-wow