Sponsored by:

About to buy my first 911...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 AM
ktrainman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default About to buy my first 911...

Found a CPO 2011 GTS w/ PDK for $77k w/ 22k miles, original MSRP 123k. What do you guys think?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

If you read all that is posted here. I would still get it inspected my your own mechanic. Selling dealer often have too much invested, for true, full disclosure. Worth a couple of extra hundred dollars to me.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

CPO does relieve you of lots of concerns though. The car has to meet Porsche's CPO requirements and you've got a warranty if anything fails.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Do it
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 PM
marriotm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what 991s are trading at today, but the mantra on this board has always been by the newest car you can afford.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an S, but would have loved to stretch to a GTS. I ended up buying private after seeing too many CPO cars that weren't in great shape (e.g. curbed wheels that were ground own on the rims at irregular angles and then repainted vs. proper refurbishment). I would definitely give the car a thorough look over or - as suggested - have someone else check it out. I don't think you have the same concerns with overrevs on a PDK as a manual, but hopefully somebody with more experience can confirm that. If it checks out that's an awesome car for the money IMHO.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 PM
ktrainman
Advanced

Sounds like price is fair then? They're giving me 2.49% on 60 months but that monthly payment is way more than if I had just leased a new 911 C2S.

I'm surprised I should have to worry about undisclosed items even with a CPO car. I thought I would not have to worry much. I guess it gives peace of mind but no guarantee or hidden issues like a bent frame or such? I mean if I do have issues I should be able to bring it to a dealer for repair right?

Make me think I should just go for a new Cayman GTS for the price...
Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Do not rely on CPO. It is nothing more than an extended warranty. Get a PPI. price is ok, you may be able to do better by a few K.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:26 PM
ktrainman
Advanced

Btw I considered a 991 but I feel like buying a 997.2 now is my last chance to daily drive a warrantied 911 with all the old school feel that has been lost in the 991.

Thanks for the replies by the way, nice to see rennlist is a friendly group of guys. I come from Honda-Tech many many years ago...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:45 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

997.2 definitely has that 'special' feel to me vs. the 991, which is no doubt a great car. The way I look at a PPI (and others may disagree) is that it's a $2.5k extended warranty that covers the mechanical components but nothing cosmetic. Why do I say that? For the following reasons: 1) because I had dealers tell me that I could buy the same car $2.5K cheaper if they lye me sell it to them without the CPO. At that point they've already done the mechanical checks so the car should be mechanically decent, but the warranty costs them and they simply pass that onto you. That's one way you might be able to save if both you and the dealer are willing. 2) when I pointed out numerous defects on CPO cars to the dealers (tires / wheels / sills / bumpers / interior components) they rebutted that this was all allowed under the conditions of the CPO. Up to three panels can be replaced as long as they are replaced with OEM components. Personally I don't want to buy a car like that when there are straight cars out there often for the same price. You're in a great place: 997 GTS vs. Cayman GTS. I have a feeling you'll have a blast either way. There are no bad decisions here. To me, you're trading the knowledge that you bought a timeless classic in what is the ultimate standard 997 vs. the raucous fun of the Cayman GTS. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 AM
ktrainman
Advanced

Thanks Andy for the reply, very helpful. I test drove a 997 GTS PDK, C4S 6 Speed, Cayman GTS PDK and the 997 GTS was by far the liveliest one. The Cayman while it felt very racy felt disconnected as well. However the Cayman is looking a lot better from a financial perspective; I'd have a much lower down and monthly payment on similarly priced cars.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would still suggest getting a PPI to include checking all panels with a paint meter. Yes new paint facilities can match your original DFT but it's still better to have that knowledge before you make an offer since the subject of diminishing value could be a topic when and if you would decide to sell.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

I echo theporscheguy's sentiments unless you can tell the car's straight. Paint meters can uncover the sins that a decently blended repaint can hide.
Interesting comparison on how you felt about the two cars, ktrainman. What I love about the 997 is how lively the entire front of the car feels, from the steering feel through to the whole front end of the car. The one thing I'd love to change is the sound but that's easy for me to remedy with the help of Sharkwerks or AWE. I think you get the sports exhaust in the GTS so you won't even have that issue. Out of interest, how is the Cayman deal ending up so much cheaper?
I would think that - if the deals were similar and if you were intending to keep the car for a few years - that the 997 would serve you way better on depreciation. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: About to buy my first 911...