997 carrera S problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems OP.

Some observations/comments;

In post #16, it sure looks like sludge in the oil filter housing.

Mobil1 is "liquid death"?.... really? ..... give me a break.

Anyone considering using ester based synthetics may want to keep an eye on seals and other elastomer parts for swelling.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Sorry to hear about the problems OP.

Some observations/comments;

In post #16, it sure looks like sludge in the oil filter housing.

Mobil1 is "liquid death"?.... really? ..... give me a break.

Anyone considering using ester based synthetics may want to keep an eye on seals and other elastomer parts for swelling.
I also thought Gibbs DT40 was high in Zinc content and not recommended for long term use in cars with catalytic converters.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:47 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The question that is being asked by many 1st time Porsche lurkers is this.......

"Is the ultimate solution to this if one would want a modern 911 as a keeper and still wanted to be able to sleep at night what would you get?? "

I'll let the owners of both answer this.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
I also thought Gibbs DT40 was high in Zinc content and not recommended for long term use in cars with catalytic converters.
Not true. It was specifically developed for the Porsches.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMystro
The question that is being asked by many 1st time Porsche lurkers is this.......

"Is the ultimate solution to this if one would want a modern 911 as a keeper and still wanted to be able to sleep at night what would you get?? "

There are no perfect cars. If you want to sleep well at night, I suggest not consuming any caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, chocolate) after say 2:00 PM. Have a systematic sleep routine....go to bed a similar times....wake at similar times. Work-out a few days per week. Don't smoke. Drink in moderation.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a really good question...

Where is the OP? Their second post was starting this thread and all I've seen/heard since then is crickets................
Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not true. It was specifically developed for the Porsches.
Yes it was, but for racing. In fact I am almost positive they used to have something on their website stating their high zinc content oils were only for racing and would damage catalytic converters.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by JayRace
Yes it was, but for racing. In fact I am almost positive they used to have something on their website stating their high zinc content oils were only for racing and would damage catalytic converters.
Most race cars I know don't have cats.

Joe Gibbs also has dedicated racing oils. DT40 is not a racing oil.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeborden
I have a really good question...

Where is the OP? Their second post was starting this thread and all I've seen/heard since then is crickets................

He's over on the Toyota forum now....

Emerald
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Gadgetttboy
7th Gear

Toyota Forum! Lol! My old 2200 re engine in my old pick up was a work horse all the way to 200 thousand. But no, I am not on the Toyota forum. My lack of response has simply been from waiting for an engine analysis from Jake. So....

Engine has not been over revved. No real signs of being tracked. All components working at the time of failure. The engine suffered long term detonation and evidence was seen on all cylinders. Scoring as well as damage across the board. Rod bearing, as seen in the earlier pictures. Another bearing about to go boom. Crank in bad shape. Most all signs of a tired engine, one that was not maintained very well it would seem. Now I have paperwork that states it was maintained on time as recommended. Take what you will from that on recommended oil changes. A few sensors were bad and a bunch of other little things that all align with poor care and maintenance resulting in an engine that lasted only 75,000. Jake has some pretty extensive pictures on the engine and perhaps he will further elaborate for you that are interested in details.

I personally feel really good about what happens next. I've changed gears from blaming porsche for a bad motor, blaming the original owner for being a bad parent to being excited about having an engine that will perform wether or not I am taking it to the grocery store or dialing it in at speed on a track.

Perhaps a bad tune? Perhaps really bad gas at some point? Running in very cold temps? These are all unknowns when buying a used car but the car is in good hands at flat six as proclaimed by many of you and my local porsche network. Four separate places here in Atlanta that I called all said pretty much the same. Call Jake. I feel pretty good about that.

Pretty expensive upgrade but hey, it's needed so full steam ahead I say. Stage 2 build from flat six will give me the confidence to not worry about my engine not lasting again. An engine from the dealer never settled well with me as that's what I had the first time. Definition of insanity states to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result in the end.

I must say that seeing porsche's running around all over Atlanta saddens me a little to know that I have to wait for the same thrill again, but I have not lost my love affair with these cars. It's still my dream to own a legendary Pcar and while the dream is only partially fulfilled with a shell and some leather seats, it will soon make me smile all over again like the first day I drove it home in disbelief that I actually own one.

Plans to update the post are again, as I have more information. Thanks for all of you that have responded and I appreciate the words of wisdom and encouragement. Sux to have to spend money on the engine as my first upgrade but you have to admit, it's a pretty good thing to upgrade in the long haul. Now I get to think about things like exhaust, intake etc. To further optimize the heart of the car. Until more information comes available.... Thks
Rob
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I have paperwork that states it was maintained on time as recommended. Take what you will from that on recommended oil changes
Ok... we're left to translate:

So, we're saying: IT GOT OIL CHANGES AT 20,000-MILE INTERVALS.

If the owner adopted to the 2008 revised recommendations on this now-exploded 2007 engine, they went with 12,000 mile oil change intervals. However, it's not like Porsche wrote to all 2007 owners and said, "Hey, switch to 12,000 mile oil change intervals."

Those were 'as recommended'.

So, this engine might have had a mere three oil changes in its 75,000-mile life.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Gadgetttboy
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I am curious to know how long the noises had been present and how long the car had been driven before the decision was made to bring it to the dealer.
Heard the noise the week before for the first time. Sort of a rattle upon acceleration and decel, only heard at those points in any gear and RPM. Imagine putting a card in the fan as a kid but muffled a bit more.

Didn't really drive it much (drove it home) after hearing out of concern for a break down. That Monday made the appointment for dealer and had the issue on the way to the dealer, about a 40 mile drive. Upon immediately hearing the noise go to a very loud grinding ( imagine marbles popping around in a tin can at a high rate of pop!) I shut her down and coasted to the side of the road. Before hand, I put the car in neutral and let off the gas. Car would not stay running and put it back in 6th letting out the clutch, starting the engine again until the afore mentioned shut down and coasting across the lanes.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Gadgetttboy
7th Gear

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
OP... condolences re the engine/car and especially re how the p-dealer and Porsche is treating you. Thank you for sharing your experience and please continue to keep us posted re the root cause and resulting resolution. By chance was the car maintained with oil changes every 20K miles as proscribe by Porsche for the 05-07 model 997's. It's interesting that for the '08 MY 997 Porsche changed the interval to 12K miles. Still too long IMO... Anyways it would be great to gain some insight re the root cause of this SNAFU. Please also let us know which p-dealer to avoid. Best of luck.
Correct, it was maintained as recommended by the dealer. That was one of the cases sent to porsche on my behalf hoping they may give me a break to no avail.

I don't want to get into what dealer it was as to not cause a war at all on the board. They didn't do it, they are just in business to make money as am I. However, that being said, I stand behind my product that I sell and will not waiver from that. Porsche warranties their cars for a certain number of miles that they expect it to perform. Mine made that and then some just no more! It will be a good car again.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro

As a previous owner of an air-cooled 911 (1989 Turbo), I can say those cars are not without fault. My car threw a valve at 30K miles and it took $13K in engine repairs to fix it (and that's 20 years ago). It received all the recommended services at the dealership from new, and since it was a cab, it did not see much time at the track.

In the end, these machines are man-made and God himself only knows why some end up giving their owners 100K+ trouble-free miles while others blow up after being pampered their whole lives.

When I think about the issues some of these high-priced European cars have, it makes me like modern American cars even more. I have a 2006 Silverado that's needed nothing but oil and filter changes (and a new battery), and my 2010 Buick runs like a top (again, just routine oil and filter changes). I don't even stress one second about these cars ever letting me down. But for some reason that's not the case with several P-Car owners visiting these forums. To me the fear mongering just gets tiring after a while.

Rob -- I think you have a great attitude all things considered. Hopefully the guys at Flat-6 come through and deliver everything you hope for.

Sean
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gadgetttboy

I personally feel really good about what happens next. I've changed gears from blaming porsche for a bad motor, blaming the original owner for being a bad parent to being excited about having an engine that will perform wether or not I am taking it to the grocery store or dialing it in at speed on a track.
This. Amazing.

Very well written and eloquent posts. You have an amazing attitude given the severity of the situation. I'm glad to hear that the car will be rebuilt and better then ever.

Hopefully it gives you numerous smiles and many years of enjoyment.

Quick Reply: 997 carrera S problem