Passenger side mirror adjustment stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Passenger side mirror adjustment stopped working

Recently my passenger side mirror stopped responding to adjustment from the joystick on the driver door. Driver's side mirror still adjusts just fine.

One oddity I noticed is the "tilt down on reverse" function still works, though the mirror doesn't come back up like it should. So, in an attempt to keep the mirror usable, I moved the joystick selector to the middle position (neither driver nor passenger side), which is supposed to disable the "tilt on reverse" feature. I've noticed, however, that the mirror still occasionally tilts down to the ground - not every time, though.

I took the joystick switch out yesterday to see if I could troubleshoot, but it seems to be more than a simple analog +/- polarity or short to ground problem. From the wiring diagrams, it looks like the switch sends control signals to the door control module, which then separately powers the motor.

In case it matters, my side mirrors are also auto-dimming, and I have the seat memory feature (which is also wired into all of that in some way to store mirror presets).

Anyone else experience this problem?

-Chris
Old 07-07-2016, 03:46 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris W. - '96 Targa
Recently my passenger side mirror stopped responding to adjustment from the joystick on the driver door. Driver's side mirror still adjusts just fine.

One oddity I noticed is the "tilt down on reverse" function still works, though the mirror doesn't come back up like it should. So, in an attempt to keep the mirror usable, I moved the joystick selector to the middle position (neither driver nor passenger side), which is supposed to disable the "tilt on reverse" feature. I've noticed, however, that the mirror still occasionally tilts down to the ground - not every time, though.

I took the joystick switch out yesterday to see if I could troubleshoot, but it seems to be more than a simple analog +/- polarity or short to ground problem. From the wiring diagrams, it looks like the switch sends control signals to the door control module, which then separately powers the motor.

In case it matters, my side mirrors are also auto-dimming, and I have the seat memory feature (which is also wired into all of that in some way to store mirror presets).

Anyone else experience this problem?

-Chris
Thread resurrection. Same thing is now happening to me. Passenger side mirror electric adjustment went kaput. It did a "tilt down on reverse" and never came back up. The control no longer responds. Driver side mirror is still operational.

Any ideas on where to start debugging this?

Car is a 997.2 (2010).
Old 07-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as the engineer in me hates to not have a definitive answer as to "why," the problem with the mirror in my car kinda went away on its own after a few weeks. It still acts up every now and then, but hasn't in at least a year, and has been so intermittent as to really prevent further troubleshooting.

I realize that doesn't help you much (sorry ), but I'd forgotten I'd posted about the issue to RL, and had never posted a follow-up.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

I'm an engineer also. I hate debugging intermittent problems like these Oh well. Hopefully mine will start working again
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try and disconnect the battery and see if that resets the mirror function. Mine stayed down one time and I did that and it's worked since.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Try and disconnect the battery and see if that resets the mirror function. Mine stayed down one time and I did that and it's worked since.
Nope, this didn't fix it

Does anyone know which fuse the mirrors are on? I went over the fuse index that's attached to the panel of the fuse box and couldn't find the side mirrors listed anywhere.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:57 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Minor update: Signs of life from the mirror. Sometimes, occasionally, unpredictably, the passenger mirror will work if I move the control left or right. The motor sounds healthy. It goes back and forth. If I try to move it up or down, nothing. And not only that, but it will no longer move left or right! It's as if there's a bad sensor that monitors up/down motion providing feedback to a microcontroller who deems the mirror now unfit to move in ANY direction.

I long for the days of cars with no software...
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 AM
80's old school
Track Day

Resurrection of old thread....

Was this ever fixed? Mine is doing this now.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My passenger side mirror (2009 C2S) also doing this! I just manually adjust it. It was intermittent then more and more wonky, till one day it didn't move any more.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I have to push in in the stalk to get mine to work. I'm guessing it's the switch.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:50 AM
80's old school
Track Day

This car has such a mind of its own sometimes.... now it works perfect.

I guess I will wait till it breaks for good to do something about it.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:29 PM
java_osborn
4th Gear

Did you guys ever figure out what was wrong. The Car Dealer said it was working and said he even saw the reverse behavior. I showed up to buy the car and the mirrors were dead. I had to road trip it home, so I wasn't going to let something like that hold up the deal.

So I am looking for the Fuse that could have went out. Anyone have a Clue about the fuse or possible fix????

The Car Dealer is sending me the little mirror switch box. I hope that fixes it.

So, any help from this list would be..... Well Helpful

Thanks
Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Well I am also in this category. Mirror sometimes works, but only for a couple seconds and then it stops. Anyone figure it out?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

This may be worth a shot. I will try it out and get back with you all.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...working-2.html

Old 02-27-2018, 12:47 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
This may be worth a shot. I will try it out and get back with you all.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...working-2.html

That was me on the other board... Can confirm, the new motor fixes it. Easy swap. Cost was about $100 for the part.

Quick Reply: Passenger side mirror adjustment stopped working