Sponsored by:

Squealing sound - please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
So that was the final diagnosis? I'm surprised you didn't see a cloud of burning oil out the exhaust. Funny you PM'd me about the AC because I also did the AOS last weekend. Do a search on the AOS or look it up in the DIY sticky.

I don't think you need to move the AC compressor to do the AOS. It was just a lot of tedious working with small wrenches etc.

$500 isn't a bad price including labor. The part alone is $100 and it took me about 8 hours all-in (though I did the alternator cable at the same time).

Keep us posted!
From what I've seen online, most AOS failures results in smoke, but a good % seem to just be the squeal without any smoke at all. When the AOS failed on my 986S, it just squealed; I only got smoke when I pulled the oil fill cap during troubleshooting, and it stopped belching smoke after a few miles, after that initial gulp of oil burned off.

If excessive high oil level is a contributing factor to AOS failure, it might also be related to whether the failed AOS sucks oil or air when it goes.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car back from dealer after air oil separator replaced. Then drove car about 25 miles. Still some smell from the engine but I suspect that is engine oil being burnt off from the last bad AOS ?

Thanks everyone for help!

Quick Reply: Squealing sound - please help