Sponsored by:

Tire opinions sought please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire opinions sought please

Recently bought a set of extra rims for my 07 t4s. I bought this car earlier in the year w new summer tires all around. I had learned that not only are summer tires not great for snow (obviously) but also as the temperatures get below a certain level (hadn't thought about it but makes sense).

So now that I have my extra set of rims I am curious as to if I should buy a set of winters or all weather tires. I live in the Midwest and while we don't get Colorado snow, we do get some. And it can get cold. I doubt I would ever use it if snow on the ground but I would definitely take it out when it get cooler/colder.

I could research bland opinions but they are not always the best for a Porsche. So what do you folks use for colder weather driving?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It really depends what summer tire you get- they all have their compromises and sweet spots. I run Dunlop ZIIs year round; the compound works great in cold weather (great grip down to about 50F, and good grip down to the teens), though it's by no means a snow tire. I've got a 2nd set of wheels, and plan to keep Dunlops on one, and a heat-loving tire (like Hankook R-S3) on the other.

Snow is fairly rare in my corner of Virginia (and melts very quickly when it does fall), but we still get some; if there's snow on the roads... I just stay home. Usually, I use it as an excuse to telecommute, but I'll take the SUV if necessary.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Winters all the way! All seasons are said to be "jacks of all.....masters of..." I have been driving my P-cars both former and current all year around and would not risk or think of putting anything but the best available on as the only contact one has with the road are tires. You owe it to yourself and anyone else riding with you to put the safest shoes on, I think. And as a plus you'll enjoy your ride even more.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Snows

I drive mine in the winter and bought Michelin Pilot Alpins, which are great in the snow and on slippery roads. Highly recommended!

Michelin Pilot Alpin235/40/18 front and 265/40/18 rear.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM
r_32
Instructor

Surprised no one uses all weather as I would have thought those would work for colder weather without snow.
Will winters wear more quickly without actual snow - like in the colder part of fall or early spring?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Conti dws are great all season tires. But with 2 sets of rims for street only car pilot alpines are best approach - winter and summer they will work. Then for hot dry days one can use tires with max grip.

I track my car so i have now ra1 r-comp tires on one set and dunlop z1 star spec on other set, and eventually will put there Zii
Old 08-03-2014, 06:38 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by r_32
Surprised no one uses all weather as I would have thought those would work for colder weather without snow.
Will winters wear more quickly without actual snow - like in the colder part of fall or early spring?
P-car drivers that dd their cars are a careful bunch. Most use 2 sets of wheels and tires, summer and winter. Winters are recommended with temps < 45 degs.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by r_32
You severely compromise the performance of these cars by using anything less than a very sticky summer tire when weather is good. If you're swapping summer/winter rubber anyhow, might as well go with the best available for each instead of a (poor) compromise.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 AM
r_32
Instructor

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like winters it is!

Haven't used the alpines before and but have used blizzaks on another car with good success. Is there anything specific to keep an eye out for on the winters for a Pcar?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Tire opinions sought please