Sponsored by:

Rare Option (what was the cost?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014 | 04:45 PM
MTNRIDE
Instructor

Default Ordered the wheels!

Ordered these today. 3-4 weeks out.

Now I need to sell my 19" chrome wheels... Any takers? Still checking on the $ value.

Here's the Ruger by Avant Garde...
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2014 | 06:59 PM
Perk10
Pro

The Ruger Classics by Avant Garde are built well and will have a perfect offset. I have the "Ruger Split" aka AG M510's and I LOVE them. Great choice!

Also like I said much earlier, the black stone guards would make your car look great, imo.
Old 08-05-2014 | 11:11 PM
MTNRIDE
Instructor

Thanks Perk10,

I'm excited about these wheels. Not your everyday new wheel look. And black stone guards for sure..
I've never tried to remove the factory clear stone guard. Is it better to leave it on I wonder? Seems that would be double protection if they are about the same sizes. Does the old hair drier heating still take off something like this?

My car has no spare. Slim fix-a-flat and a Porsche Roadside Assist Card is about it. Doesn't worry me too much. Rubber is excellent. A road hazard would be the worst risk I suppose.

I chose the staggered offset they call "aggressive". The car isn't lowered so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-06-2014 | 12:26 AM
Iceter
Drifting

I like the color combination. The first 997 that I seriously considered buying was an '06 C2S Cabriolet in white with the cocoa interior. It was beautiful.

Since you don't seem to mind everyone pitching in with their opinions, I don't mind the chromed Carrera Classics. Not my first choice (mine are the stock silver) but better than some I've seen.

I initially liked the idea of the larger sized Fuchs wheels because they look so good on older 911s. But once I saw them in person, I don't think the style holds up well in modern, extra-large sizes. As someone else aptly stated--they don't "scale up". This is true for a lot of the large, retro-styled wheels you see on late-model pony-cars.

As for the phone, it's probably rare but as any car collector and restorer knows, rarity does not often translate into desirability. It's a silly thing but cool. Your passengers should get a good laugh out of it.

No matter what any of us say, I hope you enjoy your new ride!
Old 08-06-2014 | 05:54 AM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

OT: does fix-a-flat ruin the tpms in that tire when used?

Thx
Old 08-06-2014 | 05:13 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

fix a flat will generally cause a huge mess on the wheel, which will need a thorough cleaning after. I am not sure it will "ruin" a TPMS sensor, but it surely won't do it any good.
Old 08-06-2014 | 05:40 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

There is a company that makes magnetic stone guards that look great. You can place them over the factory guards and remove them if you tire of the look. I forget the name of the company, but someone here probably knows. I like the look on a white car.

Edit: Found it. http://magnagrafik.com

Originally Posted by Iceter
I like the color combination. The first 997 that I seriously considered buying was an '06 C2S Cabriolet in white with the cocoa interior. It was beautiful.

Since you don't seem to mind everyone pitching in with their opinions, I don't mind the chromed Carrera Classics. Not my first choice (mine are the stock silver) but better than some I've seen.

I initially liked the idea of the larger sized Fuchs wheels because they look so good on older 911s. But once I saw them in person, I don't think the style holds up well in modern, extra-large sizes. As someone else aptly stated--they don't "scale up". This is true for a lot of the large, retro-styled wheels you see on late-model pony-cars.

As for the phone, it's probably rare but as any car collector and restorer knows, rarity does not often translate into desirability. It's a silly thing but cool. Your passengers should get a good laugh out of it.

No matter what any of us say, I hope you enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by kcheves; 08-06-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2014 | 05:06 PM
MTNRIDE
Instructor

Default Stone Guards on...

Installed Black Stone Guards over the originals. Wheels still a few weeks away.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2014 | 08:28 PM
Para82
Race Car

Alright i'll pitch my opinion real quick.

Chrome wheels, not my thing - however they can look very cool on a 964 Turbo.

Extra badges - never liked.

Love the phone, keep that for sure. Cocoa leather is top notch, keep that also. Lovely 911.
Old 08-27-2014 | 09:50 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcheves
There is a company that makes magnetic stone guards that look great. You can place them over the factory guards and remove them if you tire of the look. I forget the name of the company, but someone here probably knows. I like the look on a white car.

Edit: Found it. http://magnagrafik.com
Do these really stick on like a magnetic? And you can easily remove and apply as you wish?
Old 08-27-2014 | 10:07 PM
Linnm
Pro

The phone shown was for "privacy" if you got a call and had someone with you in the car. Most customers weren't interested
Old 08-28-2014 | 10:45 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Do these really stick on like a magnetic? And you can easily remove and apply as you wish?
Yup, they are magnetic and are easily installed / removed. You will need to remove when you wash the car as road gunk does seem to be attracted to the edges of the material.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2014 | 12:42 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
Yup, they are magnetic and are easily installed / removed. You will need to remove when you wash the car as road gunk does seem to be attracted to the edges of the material.
Thanks for the confirmation, I guess I've got nothing to lose by buying them!

Now I have to decide if I want the carbon fiber pattern or black...
Old 08-29-2014 | 08:56 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Thanks for the confirmation, I guess I've got nothing to lose by buying them!

Now I have to decide if I want the carbon fiber pattern or black...
IMHO if you have no carbon fiber on the body, flat black is best.

I've thought about getting a back-up set just in case one falls off but they seem to adhere really well up to 130 mph.
Old 02-16-2018 | 05:32 PM
MTNRIDE
Instructor

Here we are in 2018! I still have this little beauty. I did put the new wheels on the car, Stone guards and LED corner lighting, It just crossed 60,000 miles and is still as tight as they come. The "Teardrops and the19" honors our 19 lost firefighters near Yarnell, AZ
a couple of years back. We knew several of those boys.

Quick Reply: Rare Option (what was the cost?)