Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change on Ramps.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 268 Posts

I raise the rear with 2 X 4 stacked up under the tires, and it provides me with plenty of space to work. Also, my car is lowered.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Finally spent the money on Jackpoint Jack Stands and craftsman torque wrench after I bought my 997. Always put the 996 on 2x12's and fought to see the the oil filter canister and wondered if it was going on right.

Now it is a pleasure to change the oil and I use the torque wrench on the drain plug and oil filter canister (and of course wheel lugs, etc...) ...just feels right.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (03-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I raise the rear with 2 X 4 stacked up under the tires, and it provides me with plenty of space to work. Also, my car is lowered.
I changed the oil in my (new to me) 987.2S for the first time today. [Got the results from Blackstone back this week: they said the PO was blowing smoke and it sure as hell hadn't been changed very "recently."] I couldn't get it to fit on the 2-post lift I used my 986S on at a local Navy base hobby shop, so plan B: Backed it up onto my ramps at home, then jacked up the front wheels and dropped 4x4s under them. Not level, but not super far from it. On 987.2S, the drain plug is to the right rear and slightly uphill in the attitude I had it, so after the oil had slowed to a drip, I jacked the front-right end of the car up slightly above the rear and let it drain even more.

According to the manuals in PIWIS, this engine holds 10L but only 7.5L are drained during an oil change. Tilting the car like this, I got about 8.25L out. So it certainly isn't leaving extra in the engine; quite the opposite.

On a related note: why the ^$^@#@#% did Porsche design the 987.2 so that the only way to check the oil level is with the engine idling at operational temperature? Why the @^$#^ would they design it so you HAVE to run the car for 5-10 minutes to find out if you over/under-filled the oil? Is 997.2 the same way?
Originally Posted by 7391420
Changing your own oil and performing basic maintenance is not indicative of trying to save a buck. The whole reason why many of us enjoy these cars is because we want to be engaged in the whole thing.
I cant add to the ramps debate but I'm quite sure that the extended time that many of us let it drain is likely equivalent if not better then what a dealer would achieve.

When I change my oil on my 997 now or when I did valve adjustments on my 86 or plugs on my 914, I know that I verified the proper gap, tightened each bolt to the proper torque or added just the right amount of oil. Now- can I do it as fast as a real wrench no. are my tools as expensive, no. is my garage floor as clean...no. but honestly that time spent doing those tasks -to me that's what this hobby is all about.
I like doing all the work on my cars; if I do it myself, I know it's done right and to spec. Some of the time I enjoy it, some of the time it's a chore. All goes to build supreme confidence in the car, which lets me enjoy them that much more. The cost savings are nice, too.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just let gravity do it's job when changing the oil.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Pardon my newbie comment but why not raise on 4 jack stands? Or you can put the ramps in the front and raise just the rear with two stands? I own 4 stands and two jacks and have done this with all my cars. Just a suggestion.
If I had the room in the garage I'd maybe consider 4 stands, but it just takes longer, and my garage doesn't have a lot of space to work with. Its already the most difficult part of the job - getting the jack aligned and seated with the jack point - that I don't want to do it twice as many times as absolutely necessary. In an ideal garage I'd have a scissor lift in the floor and its a non-issue. But I have so little space on the sides (other cars, pillars, tool boxes), that I can easily jack the back end, but the sides at the front end are then blocked from getting the jack under.
The following users liked this post:
964Luftballoon (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:40 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dealer vs DIY

Originally Posted by Dadio
+1 and not every "mechanic" should be assumed to be capable just because they have a set of tools.
Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
At a Porsche dealership, I have had....

1. Technician put too much oil in after an oil change.
2. Three visits for a $380 (discounted price) Alignment, and still couldn't get my steering wheel centered. I had to give up.
3. Missing bolts on the undercarriage cover/panels.

I believe they had the right tools and training. But they also cut corners, and didn't do it 100% right. "That **** just don't fly for me" either.
It took me a year to sort my 964 after shabby work by a supposedly reputable dealer. Damaged and missing fasteners were everywhere. The AC belt jumped and dented the rear hood. There are hacks doing DIY, but most that I see do far better work than the dealers and most of the independents.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:35 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts

Just get Quick Jacks and be done with it .... You will find as I have you will use them more than you think due to their ease of use ... Stop dinking around and do it right

Quick Reply: Oil Change on Ramps.