Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a car, would like opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014 | 08:28 AM
camarochevy1970
5th Gear

Default Going to look at a car, would like opinions

I am looking to get into a 911, and this is one we were going to look at, but wanted to get opinions before we do. Any concerns with mileage or anything else I should be aware of with a 4 versus a 2 as it gets older?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2542/overview/
Old 07-29-2014 | 09:04 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool color combination but not for everyone. Will be interesting to see how long it's been there. Price seems a tad high considering miles.
Looks like the AC control panel has been repainted. Take it somewhere for a PPI. You should get a DME report. Have them go through everything. Pull a carfax, you may see something you don't like but it may give you a bit of service history as the selling dealer may not have it. Don't necessarily trust it as they can be notoriously wrong.

If you are in chi-town then the 4 is probably the right car for you. Tires look like they need replacing. Factor that into the price. EOM tires are very expensive. There are options but you won't get a set of 4 of practically anything for less than a grand.
I was quoted $1290 for two rears (305's) which your car has. I am looking at Continental DWS tires (Dry, Wet, Snow). It won't go through 4 inches of snow (I have a C2) but it will get me home if there is snow on the ground.
Good luck
Old 07-29-2014 | 09:26 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Get a PPI dont trust that "it is all O.K." by the dealer. With 65 k miles you will want to know how the clutch is (if it has been changed), 40 k service, wheeels and tires ect. But it does look cool with the combo white with red interior. A PPI then check to see about price point.
Old 07-29-2014 | 09:35 AM
camarochevy1970
5th Gear

good call on the A/C panel, looking closer I can see what you mean. Guessing it got marked up during use and they tried to cover that.

Other then clutch, anything else I should specifically be worried about with that mileage?
Old 07-29-2014 | 10:28 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Are you a member of the PCA? Because the clubs across America always seem to have someone in the club , that will help you find a car. They will evaluate the car very closely for you, it's about a 1000 dollars and totally worth it. If you do not have a Porsche, you can still join the PCA for a trial of 6 months, then seek help for your purchase, it is totally worth it, IMHO. You don't pay until you buy a Porsche.

Buying a used Porsche is hard, especially if you are new to this passion. Take your time, the chase is half the fun.

How many miles are on the tires, because a set of 4 , is a good buck. Be alert.

Old 07-29-2014 | 11:23 AM
ksozay
Racer

Keeping those wheels clean...oh boy.
Old 07-29-2014 | 12:46 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Little Green
Looks like the AC control panel has been repainted. ...
Originally Posted by camarochevy1970
good call on the A/C panel, looking closer I can see what you mean. Guessing it got marked up during use and they tried to cover that. ...
The AC panel was not repainted. This car has that panel, as well as the AC vents and probably a lot more, wrapped in leather from the factory. This thing is decked out to the 9's. Original MSRP must have been well over $100k

Very nice car. I like it. Love a Carrera in white.

Only thing is with that mileage, as others have referred to, is the maintenance up to date? If not, it could cost you $3-4k to get things squared away.

Good luck. Sweet car you're looking at there.
Old 07-29-2014 | 01:19 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollingArt
The AC panel was not repainted. This car has that panel, as well as the AC vents and probably a lot more, wrapped in leather from the factory.
Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. First thing that popped in my head was "Wow, that car has the full FULL leather dash package".

The interior is a little too much for me, but I do like the white wheels on it. I've always loved 911's in white.
Old 07-29-2014 | 01:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by camarochevy1970
I am looking to get into a 911, and this is one we were going to look at, but wanted to get opinions before we do. Any concerns with mileage or anything else I should be aware of with a 4 versus a 2 as it gets older?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2542/overview/
Quite a stunner. I'm with others who say they like these cars in white.

Red interior? That's your call. (I bought a Torrid Red 2006 GTO with Red Hot Leather interior a few years ago. Whenever someone commented on the redness I replied I bought the car at night and thought the car and its interior were brown.)

If it is not clear I like the red interior.

Go check out the car. A quick spin around the block ain't good enough. A thorough test ride then follow with a test drive. Route should cover 15 miles and give the test driver a chance to demo the car as you will drive it.

Afterwards give the car a used car check out.

Then arrange a PPI.

As long as the car checks out and the price 's in line with the car's condition and the market I see nothing on the face of it to put me off the car.

About price. I like to point out the car is worth somewhere between wholesale and whatever a seller is willing to let it go for and whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

I try to pay as little over wholesale as possible. If I can't get the car for what I think it is worth I either give up and move on or revisit my assessment of the car's value and sometimes, not often, but sometimes, I offer more. And not much more. In the case of my Boxster just a couple of hundred dollars more (to cover what the dealer had in flooring cost in the car).
Old 07-29-2014 | 01:53 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Love the color combo. Try to get the price down a little lower. If the carfax is clean and service records are there, i'd go for it.
Old 07-29-2014 | 04:22 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

I concur with all of the advice above. I think the interior is a bit much, but maybe if you wear sunglasses all of the time, it will be OK. The car seems to be highly priced for the mileage. A car this old should not demand a premium for those options. A PPI is mandatory. Try to get service history on it from the seller.

As mentioned, if this is to be your first 911, price a set of tires before you buy the car. The rears especially do not last long.
Old 07-29-2014 | 05:29 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

great looker, though not a huge fan of the wheels

work them on price for the high miles (if you can)
Old 07-29-2014 | 05:58 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

It's 'hate it' or 'love it' color combo IMO...
But If u like it, I'd say go for it.

Keep in mind:
- get a ppi from a place u trust. If it includes a borescope, even better.
- make sure the maintenance is up-to-date (sparks, water pump, belt, etc)
- no serious accident in history
- the dealer usually will have $5-8k profit margin (or even more sometimes) in a used pcar, so bargain accordingly.
Old 07-29-2014 | 06:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

That's a lot of miles, a lot of red interior, and a lot of white on the wheels, but if you like, go check it out. It looks to me to have the supple leather interior option. Some like that, some don't. I fall into the camp of not liking it. It tends to wrinkle and to me looks more like a Town Car than a 911.
Old 07-29-2014 | 06:19 PM
Perk10
Pro

I'm glad someone finally mentioned that the AC panel and cup holders/ac vents are leather. That was the first thing I noticed which is rare. That car is cool with the supple leather and other goodies. Very unique and if it moves you, go for it (assuming it shows as clean).

Quick Reply: Going to look at a car, would like opinions