Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock chip paint method

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014 | 12:49 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Default Rock chip paint method

Over the past couple of days I was able to fill-in many of my rock chips collected on the hood (unfortunately I do not have a clear bra on my hood) over the years.

I first cleaned the particular chip areas with a wax and grease remover:

Second I obtained my specific paint color from the dealer and mixed it with a lacquer thinner and applied with these particular sized paint brush sticks:

Once the chips were filled-in after three coats (waiting 30 mins per coat) with my paint mix I waited 24 hours to sand down. Please note the filled-in chips next to the green painters tape:

To wet sand I used 600-grit then 2000-grit "pencil method" until it was flush and the extra paint was removed. Finally to buff I used the pictured meguiars mirror glaze.

This process took a couple of hours to wet sand and buff but I am happy with the results. Below is directly after wet sanding and buffing. I have not yet washed the car when this photo was taken and will wait 30 days to wax the car.

Old 07-24-2014 | 01:04 PM
ngng
Drifting

nice job, any up close photos?
Old 07-24-2014 | 02:48 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

sure, some white residue left over as you will see / I am traveling tomorrow some distance and will wash the car after that to fully clean up but very happy w the end result:

Old 07-24-2014 | 06:48 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

I assume the sanding method is to punch the small circles and use these with the pencil in a twisting action to sand down the over paint?
Old 07-24-2014 | 07:01 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

usually the sanding with the pen is done before paint to level the paint chip. Then wet sanding is done after to level the touch up paint

Old 07-24-2014 | 07:55 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by tigerspill
I assume the sanding method is to punch the small circles and use these with the pencil in a twisting action to sand down the over paint?
I was trying to build layers of paint into the rock chips. Then I used the "pencil method" to sand down the paint so it was flush prior to buffing.

I viewed larry's video on the aircooled above prior to beginning my project and saw he did sand down prior to starting his painting.
Old 07-24-2014 | 08:49 PM
richard181
Instructor

Nice job.
I recently had a body shop near me (on Long Island, western Nassau county, north shore a known shop for hi end cars) do lots of chip damage to my hood.
Too many to fill. I had to get the whole hood painted at my own expense. That shop sucks.
Old 07-25-2014 | 12:30 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Hope it looks great. I can't really see much. Even in that video, he cuts out before showing a close up of the final result.

Would be real curious to see a close up of the before and after.
Old 07-25-2014 | 12:35 AM
Ags 911
Intermediate

Nice job! I found Larry's detail videos last fall, and by Christmas, was inspired to practice what I learned. I bought the tools, sandpaper, and Larry's product. Wet sanding the first time was a scary thing. However, I followed his steps and the outcome was remarkable. I bought a Griots DA orbital, and it worked like a charm.

Now, after doing these steps on paint chips and scratches all my cars look near new. Again, congrats on your results and kudos to you for stepping out there!

Quick Reply: Rock chip paint method