997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all leather consoles have stitching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014 | 07:42 PM
bankerII
Intermediate

Default Do all leather consoles have stitching?

I need to replace my center console and get rid of the soft touch paint. Have found a console online that I am being told is factory leather, but it doesn't have any stitching. Is the stitching optional?

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2014 | 09:46 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Factory leather center consoles ALWAYS have stitching. No stitching, it's not OEM leather.
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:02 PM
bankerII
Intermediate

Thanks, that's what I thought. Does the same hold true for the center console lid? If there is no stitching, does that mean it's vinyl?
Old 07-10-2014 | 11:37 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by bankerII
Thanks, that's what I thought. Does the same hold true for the center console lid? If there is no stitching, does that mean it's vinyl?
Yes….or other leather I guess!

Tom
Old 07-11-2014 | 03:33 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bankerII
Actually the stock OEM armrest is leather and it doesn't have stitching. I know it looks like vinyl or leatherette, but it's not. I replaced my armrest with the premium leather armrest, which does have the stitching. I inspected the underside of my original armrest and could tell it's leather.

But if you get a leather rear center console, you'll want the premium armrest with stitching to match - trust me.
Old 07-11-2014 | 11:12 AM
texlbs
Intermediate

Mspeedster, where did you get your premium armrest?
Old 07-11-2014 | 02:35 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by texlbs
Mspeedster, where did you get your premium armrest?
Suncoast

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...S_Leather.html

But every time I check the OEM leather prices keep getting more and more expensive. It's ridiculous. When I got mine 2 years ago, I think it was under $600, now the price for a premium armrest with logo (which is what I have) is $950. Crazy.

I'd suggest checking eBay, they show up from time to time as well.
Old 07-11-2014 | 03:00 PM
DOOBEE
Instructor

The price increases on Suncoast frustrate me. All the leather has gone up significantly in the last year.
Old 07-12-2014 | 02:39 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DOOBEE
The price increases on Suncoast frustrate me. All the leather has gone up significantly in the last year.
I hadn't checked in a while, since I'm done with all the leather upgrades I want. But good lord, talk about sticker shock, the prices have gone through the roof. You'd think leather was gold or something.

I'm a big proponent of OEM leather. IMHO, nothing in the aftermarket that I've tried matches the quality and color match of the OEM leather parts. But at these prices, if I had to do it again, I'd strongly look at aftermarket alternatives like ExclusiveOption.
Old 07-13-2014 | 01:05 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

My car has the full "special" leather option (terracotta), but the center console lid has no stitching (there is no doubt it's leather though). I would love to get one with the factory embossed Porsche crest or model designation, but I can't justify the obscene prices.

Sean

Quick Reply: Do all leather consoles have stitching?