Replacement aircond buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 AM
k3nny
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement aircond buttons

Hello!

I would like to find out if there is a Porsche parts store online where I can find the aircond toggle switches that control temperature and air speed..

Here in hot and humid Malaysia.. The buttons have next to disintegrated and is all white now with no more rubber on it...

This is the rocker switch on the climate control unit that changes the temperature and the fan speed of the a/c...

Is it possible to change just the switches alone or at least "recover" it professionally?

Thanks again in advance for all the help!!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-removal.html
There are other posts out there but this might be good start. Several options to choose from, new *****, unit, or recovering original.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one talks about stickynomore and climarepair.com decals. I tried the decals and didn't like them. I have an extra set if you want it (free but you pay shipping). I ended up removing the switches and repainting them flat black. No temp or fan icons. Works for me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...witches-2.html
Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was surprised at the final product from Sticky-No-More. It looks like all they did was repaint the buttons and slap a sticker over the top. It didn't look professional at all.

Sean
Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It's odd but my Dec '04-build MY05 A/C controls are not rubberized, they are just flat black plastic. I bought it from a Porsche dealer CPO'd in '09 with ~20K on it and according to the service records they were never replaced. After more than 5 years they still look perfect.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 PM
k3nny
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... Problem is im all the way here in Malaysia.

It is interesting to know however that you can replace just the buttons and not the entire unit.

I may consider DIY-ing this myself though.

If i can pop off the buttons, print out the font on sticker paper and stick it on after i wash off the old rubbery stuff, and then spray paint the buttons later and remove the sticker with the words on it, it should work fine?

Any one attempted this before?
Old 07-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I DIY to refurbish mine a few months ago. I just spray-painted it to matt black after washing off the old rubbery stuff, and didn't bother with the sticker. I rather have no "logo" at all than having stickers that look cheap.

Here are the links:
- https://rennlist.com/forums/11124668-post800.html
- https://rennlist.com/forums/11127457-post806.html
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One thing to be careful about on the switches is the product being used to clean the interior and dash. I have seen gummy switch buttons which is sometimes caused by harsh cleaning products. 409, and cleaners like should not be used to clean any of the dash and switches.

Sometime, the excellent cups holder cause your coke to spill, and drip on the stereo, and switches. Clean up needs to be quick and easy. No harsh products!

Quick Reply: Replacement aircond buttons