Sponsored by:

Cylinder scoring on 1 and 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014 | 05:35 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

Default Cylinder scoring on 1 and 3

Hi all,

I've got an '06 c4s with 57.5K miles that I've had for a little over a year. I started it up about a week ago, when the engine shook like crazy and I got a CEL with a message saying something like "visit workshop." I had the car flatbedded to the dealership, who've had it since. I just got a call with some bad news. They scoped the cylinders. 1 and 3 are scored, and I apparently need a new short block. I had a "what will it take to CPO it" PPI done before I bought the car (no borescope, though), which came back clean. Is there any way I could have caught this?

I've got a year left on a Fidelity Platinum warranty. It's supposed to cover this, and still (hopefully) will, but the dealer is saying that Fidelity wants me to authorize them to teardown the engine to determine what caused the scoring. If the teardown reveals the problem was caused by neglect, I'm on the hook for the cost. The Hartech report I read says "don't let them do a teardown," but I'm not enough of a gearhead to know what to say to the warranty company. Is this normal procedure?

The way I see it there are 3 possible outcomes:
1) Refuse the teardown, pay the couple hundred bucks to the mechanic for the work done so far, and sell the car at a huge loss to a wholesale / salvage company.

2) Pay for the teardown and Fidelity pays for a new engine. I'm out my deductible and get a new (probably refurbished) engine out of it. Possibly have them fit the 06-08 LN Engineering IMS bearing in there while everything's apart.

3) Pay for the teardown and Fidelity refuses to cover the repair. Same result as 1), only now I get to spend an additional $5K for the teardown. Consider lawyering up.

What would you do if it was your car and your money? From what I know of the car's early life, it was well-maintained. I've got records from the previous owner indicating oil changes every 4-5K miles, and myself have had the oil changed at the same intervals. Carfax shows the original owner had maintenance done at recommended intervals, but I can't get my hands on the actual records due to CA privacy law. I'm leaning toward having the teardown done, but the fur is starting to fly and the (hopefully slim) chance of outcomes #1 or #3 is freaking me the heck out.
Old 07-07-2014 | 05:42 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

I'm curious to see the suggestions people chime in with. As an amateur mechanic, there's not much I can think of that causes scoring other than oil degradation / starvation, mechanical failure of a component, or ingestion of foreign objects.

That being said, if you're confident that the car is WELL maintained, then I'd have them tear it down. Especially if you have to lawyer up (worst case scenario), then at least you'd have documentation to support your claim. Just my $0.02. Best of luck man.
Old 07-07-2014 | 05:47 PM
Ezkill
Racer

I don't have a huge amount of input into the situation but I do have a few questions as something here doesn't make sense.

Why would fidelity want a tear down that you have to pay for. Or are you only on the hook for the tear down if they determine that neglect caused the scoring and they refuse the warranty work?

Option 1 seems extreme. If they do the tear down and if they refuse the warranty I guess at that point you could take option 1. Depending on the answer to the first question you may or may not at that point also be out the cost of the tear down.

I'm really not sure why they would expect you to out of pocket an extra procedure they are requesting. But hey, it's a warranty company, sometimes they have seemingly odd and unfair requirements.
Old 07-07-2014 | 05:53 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

I'm only on the hook for the teardown if they determine the scoring is caused by neglect.
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:04 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Anyone know if this cylinder scoring is more prevalent in 997.1 engines vs. 997.2?
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:21 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hBomb
Hi all,

I've got a year left on a Fidelity Platinum warranty. It's supposed to cover this, and still (hopefully) will, but the dealer is saying that Fidelity wants me to authorize them to teardown the engine to determine what caused the scoring. If the teardown reveals the problem was caused by neglect, I'm on the hook for the cost. The Hartech report I read says "don't let them do a teardown," but I'm not enough of a gearhead to know what to say to the warranty company. Is this normal procedure?
Read your Fidelity Platinum warranty contract before you make any decisions related to Fidelity's request. Since this is potentially a large monetary event for someone, you may want to buy an hour of an attorney's time who specializes in these types of claims.
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by CAVU
Read your Fidelity Platinum warranty contract before you make any decisions related to Fidelity's request. Since this is potentially a large monetary event for someone, you may want to buy an hour of an attorney's time who specializes in these types of claims.
Good advice. Fidelity will do everything they can to screw you and not pay.
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:24 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hBomb
I'm only on the hook for the teardown if they determine the scoring is caused by neglect.
How would a mechanic know that specifically? Does Fidelity want to know if it has been overrevved or not maintained?
Why would a mechanic say it was neglected considering they want the rebuild work and the money?
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:34 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Anyone know if this cylinder scoring is more prevalent in 997.1 engines vs. 997.2?
Most of the posts I have seen have been on the .1's. I have seen a couple of post's on .2's.

And it seems more people are reporting them in the UK instead of the US.

All kinds of theories on this. Hartech has a good article on it, just do a search, you will find it.

hartcech.org go to guides, I think the 5th one is the one.

Mike
Old 07-07-2014 | 06:46 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Good advice. Fidelity will do everything they can to screw you and not pay.
Yep! ...and not just Fidelity.
Old 07-07-2014 | 07:04 PM
06C2s
Racer

Very interested in this outcome. I have a 06 C2S with 25k on the clock that I just picked up and a "Safeguard Platinum" warranty.

On a side note, I'm back in a manual after a 20yr absence and have had a few..ahem… mis shifts, will this show up as a over rev?? possible neglect?
Old 07-07-2014 | 07:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

hBomb, read this thread, especially the last few pages and comments from Jake Raby of Flat 6 Innovations. It sounds like you have classic bore scoring. A C4S. In a cold climate.:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ability-6.html
Old 07-07-2014 | 07:57 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

hBomb, read what yer want, I just hope that the insurance company comes to bat for ya.......good luck
Old 07-07-2014 | 08:22 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

This is one of the reasons I will never get an extended warranty. This is exactly the kind of event that you get the warranty for, but instead of getting peace of mind, you get another layer of stress. They want you to pay $5k to help them find an excuse not have to pay you anything. Hopefully they cover it all, but my bet is there will be attorney expenses added to the $5K, before they make any commitment.
Old 07-07-2014 | 08:25 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Low post count + fatal engine = ?

Of course you deal with the after market warranty company. Litigate if you have too. Sell at a loss? Why would that even be a consideration. Cylinder scoring is the new IMS for 997's. Proceed reading this thread with caution.

Quick Reply: Cylinder scoring on 1 and 3