Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Console leather

Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Full Console leather

I thought I'd start a thread on the interior upgrades in progress on my .1.

It has the full leather interior however the center console has always been a bit of an eye sore, and with the "soft touch" surface that fades & disintegrates over time I'm getting all the console trimmed in full leather with matching stitching.

I'm using a Connolly leather trimmer who was kind enough to remove the entire center console & told me that it should be ready by the weekend, worse case Monday to be refitted.

The color match is, as far as I can see, spot on as he gave me a swatch of the leather that will be used to trim the whole piece. Also having the P logo pressed onto the arm rest all at a extremely reasonable cost.

It's amazing at how much junk works its way underneath the console,so cleaned that and just waiting for the call now

Here is a couple of pictures of the console removed and the color match compared to the dash. More to come ...

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope it turns out well for you since recovering the center console in leather (and making it look factory) is very difficult. Not many upholsterers can pull it off, so if your guy does well, then he's a keeper. It might prompt you to cover other interior bits and pieces in leather.

The previous owner of my car bought a 2nd-hand console and had it recovered in leather. He spent $700 (plus the cost of the console) and it was a complete abortion. The seams were all over the place and the ash tray lid wouldn't close. He didn't even bother installing it.

Sean
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Originally Posted by Sniff
I hope it turns out well for you since recovering the center console in leather (and making it look factory) is very difficult. Not many upholsterers can pull it off, so if your guy does well, then he's a keeper. It might prompt you to cover other interior bits and pieces in leather.

The previous owner of my car bought a 2nd-hand console and had it recovered in leather. He spent $700 (plus the cost of the console) and it was a complete abortion. The seams were all over the place and the ash tray lid wouldn't close. He didn't even bother installing it.

Sean
Hi Sean, I've used this guy in the past, he completely re-trimmed my Audi, complete color change, seats, door cards, arm rest & came out spot on. I'm real picky when it comes to any work done on any of my cars & expect top class workmanship. I'll post up pics once installed.

Here is what he did to my Audi

Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nice. Where are you located?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

nimo keep the updates coming! i need to do this myself still.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo
Hi Sean, I've used this guy in the past, he completely re-trimmed my Audi, complete color change, seats, door cards, arm rest & came out spot on. I'm real picky when it comes to any work done on any of my cars & expect top class workmanship. I'll post up pics once installed.
Ni_Mo -- Your Audi really turned out nice. I wonder if your leather guy would entertain doing work if someone shipped the items to him. Might be worth asking the question. If the quality of his work is as good as you say (and as good as it looks in the pictures), there might be a few Rennlisters interested in his services.

BTW, can I ask what he's charging you to recover your console? I'm also interested in where he is located.

Sean
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Again...sub'd, nice work on the audi
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Originally Posted by myw
nimo keep the updates coming! i need to do this myself still.
Hey Mike, yeah I will, thought I'd post a little teaser as to whats to come.

Nick
Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Originally Posted by Sniff
Ni_Mo -- Your Audi really turned out nice. I wonder if your leather guy would entertain doing work if someone shipped the items to him. Might be worth asking the question. If the quality of his work is as good as you say (and as good as it looks in the pictures), there might be a few Rennlisters interested in his services.

BTW, can I ask what he's charging you to recover your console? I'm also interested in where he is located.

Sean
Sean I'm waiting to see how good it turns out, if I go on past experiences then I can fairly much say that it's going to be 100% factory, but not counting my chickens yet! He got what I wanted to do when I spoke with him & said that he wants to take his time with getting it perfect, I like that way of thinking.

Once completed, and is up to par, I'm thinking of offering fellow Rennlisters some pre trimmed parts, i.e. arm rest with P crest stamped & ready to ship. I'm in Europe so shipping a whole console may be pricey, but an arm rest would be more economical.

Total cost including console removal, re-trimm, installation etc. is $350

Yeah I know price seems unreal when you compare dealer price of 10 times that, but he believes in fair pricing, keeping customers and expanding his network of potential clients. To get an idea he charged me $750 to re-trimm the whole interior on my Audi.

Will keep you guys updated for sure, good or bad.

Nick
Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Interesting too is the 997.1 use an lighter color of the leather for the stitching while the 997.2 uses a white stitch or close to white like in the Audi above.

Dan
Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Sean I'm waiting to see how good it turns out, if I go on past experiences then I can fairly much say that it's going to be 100% factory, but not counting my chickens yet! He got what I wanted to do when I spoke with him & said that he wants to take his time with getting it perfect, I like that way of thinking.

Once completed, and is up to par, I'm thinking of offering fellow Rennlisters some pre trimmed parts, i.e. arm rest with P crest stamped & ready to ship. I'm in Europe so shipping a whole console may be pricey, but an arm rest would be more economical.

Yeah I know price seems unreal when you compare dealer price of 10 times that, but he believes in fair pricing, keeping customers and expanding his network of potential clients. To get an idea he charged me $750 to re-trimm the whole interior on my Audi.

Nick
this guy is a keeper...where are you located? italy? spain? couldn't be germany, no one here would do anything like this for less than 10 x that...i do believe ... c'mon man, where you hiding him...
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

oops, sorry for the double do do...twitchy trigger finger

Nick
this guy is a keeper...where are you located? italy? spain? couldn't be germany, no one here would do anything like this for less than 10 x that...i do believe ... c'mon man, where you hiding him...

Last edited by kkswow12; 07-03-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: splainin myself
Old 07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Originally Posted by kkswow12
kkswow, all in good time my man, all in good time

Just got the call this afternoon that it should be ready to refit tomorrow afternoon. Pics to come.

Nick
Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

kkswow, all in good time my man, all in good time

Just got the call this afternoon that it should be ready to refit tomorrow afternoon. Pics to come.

Nick
...NEWMAN!

Last edited by kkswow12; 07-03-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: dots dots and more dots
Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

subscribe. Would be great to actually have a leather center console in my "full leather" optioned car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full Console leather