Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 gts purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014 | 04:09 PM
porsche930turbo
Intermediate

Default 2011 gts purchase questions

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I am looking to purchase a gts cab at a non porsche dealership. was looking at many gts cars for sale and noticed the lower price on this model compared to a c4s and some s models. Any obvious reason? It this as great a car as I believe it be? Should I look for a 4s instead? I would think this being a special edition car it should be more expensive than the 4s and s? your thoughts? the list was 126k and now 80. miles around 15k. no centerlock wheels(Carrera sport wheels, sport chrono, leather, heat/cool seats, nav/Bluetooth. car looks nice, clean history, no paint work that my meter detected. its for my wife so the extra hp is not a real issue(for her)
Old 06-30-2014 | 04:21 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche930turbo
Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I am looking to purchase a gts cab at a non porsche dealership. was looking at many gts cars for sale and noticed the lower price on this model compared to a c4s and some s models. Any obvious reason? It this as great a car as I believe it be? Should I look for a 4s instead? I would think this being a special edition car it should be more expensive than the 4s and s? your thoughts? the list was 126k and now 80. miles around 15k. no centerlock wheels(Carrera sport wheels, sport chrono, leather, heat/cool seats, nav/Bluetooth. car looks nice, clean history, no paint work that my meter detected. its for my wife so the extra hp is not a real issue(for her)
Just out of curiosity (I always like to learn new things) what is the reason for specifically wanting to buy it at a non Porsche dealer?
Old 06-30-2014 | 05:49 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

The GTS was the pinnacle of the 997.2 series, and the lack of center lock wheels is a huge positive. The price sounds good, get it inspected and if it checks out I would not hesitate.
Old 06-30-2014 | 06:31 PM
porsche930turbo
Intermediate

hi , didn't plan it that way. just found it at a dealership.
Old 06-30-2014 | 06:56 PM
toper
Advanced

just an FYI that a non-porsche dealer wouldn't be able to include a "certified pre-owned warranty" on their porsches. not sure if that's important to you/your wife...I personally wouldn't buy used without one but YMMV.
Old 06-30-2014 | 06:58 PM
porsche930turbo
Intermediate

understood. it has a year remaining on the factory warranty. I spoke with Porsche and it could be extended if so desired.
Old 06-30-2014 | 07:07 PM
toper
Advanced

cool, then if it passes PPI that's a great price for it.
Old 06-30-2014 | 08:34 PM
blakecam
Pro

Being a GTS owner, I can assure you that the GTS is a fantastic vehicle, and more of a vehicle than a 4S or 2S. There is absolutely no reason for you not to purchase one versus a 4S or 2S model. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. At the same price, or even proportionally more, there is no advantage to purchasing the lesser model in the 997 spectrum.

If you are finding 4S or 2S pricing that is equal or more than a GTS, then they are probably overpriced. I would be very surprised if the market for 4S or 2S is bringing more money than GTS models. There would be no logical reason for it, even if the GTS has those dreaded center locks, which is blown way out of proportion, IMHO. Remember, a seller's asking price does not determine the market value. There are many overpriced vehicles that don't sell.
Old 06-30-2014 | 09:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Be sure your PPI includes a read out of the over rev counters. My concern is every manager, salesmen, and probably a few techs, at the non-Porsche dealer (not to mention a few "buyers') has had a test drive in the thing.

As for price, can't speak to the price directly as I'm not up on market prices but my info is Cabs suffer a big depreciation. The first owner is willing to pay for the car but subsequent owners not so much.

You need to get up on market prices and worry if the car is under priced. Even if a car is not worth the money it is a rare seller that truly under prices a car and there's generally a good reason.

Porsches at non-Porsche dealers are generally used for halo cars. They look good and are eye candy for the showroom traffic. Generally these halo cars a priced very dear as the non-Porsche dealer doesn't need to sell it right away as his bottom line is not going to be affected much either way. If he does sell it he'll make a good profit. Chances are he bought the car "right" too, so it if doesn't sell after a while he can wholesale it and not come out too bad.
Old 07-01-2014 | 11:12 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche930turbo
hi , didn't plan it that way. just found it at a dealership.
Oh I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were specifically trying to FIND a car at a non Porsche dealer, I didn't realize you already had found one.

My mistake!
Old 07-02-2014 | 09:16 AM
porsche930turbo
Intermediate

thanks to all for the advice. sold! pending the ppi at Porsche next week. enjoy the holiday!
Old 07-03-2014 | 01:38 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I traded in my 02 C4S for a 12 GTS recently at a Ford dealership. Was able to negotiate a super deal. The advantage is that a non-Porsche dealer will sell it for a lesser markup/profit, whereas a Porsche dealer slaps on CPO warranty and wants your arm for it. Porsche stealers can have between $10k-15k markup on their preowned vehicles. A non-Porsche dealer will probably mark it up $3k-6k, and would be willing to make a deal with $1k-2k profit. Most of them get nervous with high-end inventory and want to get them off their lot ASAP. Btw...I'm in the car business.

Quick Reply: 2011 gts purchase questions