Sponsored by:

997 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997 Targa

Hi, just curious how popular or unpopular are 997 Targas in general. I like the idea of a 911 Targa but I'm a bit worried about its resale (just in case).

Comments are appreciated.

TIA,
Sam
Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottomline with any car is what is it worth to you? If you plan on keeping it for a long time, then the opinions of others IMO don't matter as much (with respect to resale value). However if you're looking to own it for a short time then unload it, then that's a different story. Having a feel for the popular opinion regarding a car will give you some clue as to how difficult (or easy) it will be to sell.

The thing with the post 1980's 911 Targas (993's / 996's / 997's) is that much of the criticism I've read has to do with them being viewed as glorified sunroof cars. I also came across a few threads from guys having issues with their roof mechanisms, but since I don't own a new generation Targa, I didn't follow them closely. It might be worth your time to search the Porsche forums to get a feel for the reliability of the roof mechanism on these cars.

I owned an '89 911 some time ago, and there is definitely your die-hard Targa crowd as well as your absolute haters. As such, Targa values at the time were somewhat depressed compared to the coupes and cabs. Yet now that the air-cooled market is on fire, the Targas of that generation are selling for good money. I think the release of the 2015 991 Targa (which has a roof that actually removes -- albeit mechanically) will boost the values of the old generation Targas (1989 and earlier). So far reviews of the latest Targa are very positive and many say Porsche was wise to go back to its roots. That said, I don't think the 991 Targa will have any effect on the value of sunroof Targas because the concepts are completely different.

Sean
Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought an 07 targa 4s and I do really enjoy it. The amount of light and air you get from the larger roof is pretty substantial which works well for someone like me who didn't want a cab for a few reasons. I don't use the rear hatch but I have heard from others that they like it. I wasn't specifically looking for a targa when I purchased it but am glad I did now. I still keep an eye on theft and there really are not many that are for sale at any given time so while on the margin some may not like them, the punt is low enough that if the car is clean and well taken care of it shouldn't be a problem.

I can see someone thinking they are glorified sunroofs though, because they are. But to me it seems like a good balance for open air and maintaining a bit more of the classic shape.

As far as problems with the tops, I had a problem with the hatch not opening once but that corrected easily. Basically looks like there is a maintenance item every 18mo in terms of cleaning them. There is a good thread on that in this forum someplace. Not a biggie at all.

If you like the targa you should get the targa if the car checks out. Shouldn't buy a Pcar because it might underperform a couple thousand when you go to sell it. Many other factors will outweigh the targa roof.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally, I love the Targa, both the old school variety and the 997 glorified sunroof variety.

If there were two 997s in front of me that were identical in price/color/options, except one was a Targa and the other not, I would buy the Targa... but I wouldn’t necessarily pay a premium for it.

In my shopping experience, I would actually say that a 997 Targa (both the 997.1 and 997.2 variety) sells for slightly more than a similarly optioned non Targa. I think a lot of that is simple supply and demand, typically there aren’t many Targas for sale at a given time.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
In my shopping experience, I would actually say that a 997 Targa (both the 997.1 and 997.2 variety) sells for slightly more than a similarly optioned non Targa. I think a lot of that is simple supply and demand, typically there aren’t many Targas for sale at a given time.
Example...

Cars.com has 311 997 under $60,000 from the years of the Targa 2007-2012. Of the 311, only 10 are a Targa, with the lowest priced one being a 2007 for $48.5.

It might take you an extra month or two to find the right buyer for a Targa, but I think they are worth more, not less, than another similar 997.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Your cars current resale value has nothing to do the its future resale value. Unless you are going to sell it today, how will a WAG on a future price be of any value to you now ?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
pmt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I love our 997.1 Targa 4S. In our opinion, it's well worth the typical $3,000 premium over a comparable Carrera 4S. Believe me, it's been everything we hoped for, after searching and waiting two years before finding this car. There aren't that many Targa 4S versions to start with, and people who own them tend to keep them.
The "glorified" sunroof is more than that - it's a panoramic experience. When travelling on the open road or in a new city, the security of being surrounded by glass and steel while letting in the sky compared to wife's last cabrio, for example, is there too - we don't even have to open the roof - the glass area is clear and expansive already.
The other thing not to be underestimated, IMO, is the rear hatch - this lift-gate is an amazing feature. We have used it to transport some really big boxes and similar items from the shopping mall, which would never have gone into my last 996 4S coupe.
At this point, we would never be able to replace our Targa 4S with the newer 991 version, which, for all its bells and whistles, is missing the most important feature for us: the rear hatch. We do believe the 997 Targas will retain their values in sync with the cabrio (of which there are lots available). Targas are excellent 4-season DD.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Working off the OP's premise:

If 997 Targas are less valuable... and they are less valuable now and projected to be later as well... the total $ am't saved now would exceed the loss later. Thinking out loud: "Save 5 grand now, but at resale, it's worth 3 grand less." Sounds like a win.

Ya know... Porsche is much less a car produced for Porsche-philes now than in years past... and down the road, concerns about the purity of a Targa will have become even more faded.

I mean, GT3's don't have a clutch pedal or a manual shifter thingy anymore. History/Purity is becoming less relevant with each passing model year.

Enjoy your Targa. Get it.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are just in to buy a car for some time and sell it, buy the most common variety - likley a relatively loaded silver or grey Carerra 2 coupe.

If you want a Targa for the benefits the Targa gives you (and knowing the new Targa is a throwback with the complexity of an elaborate roof system) - that is, bright and open interior, somewhat open-top but hard roof in the winter with little effort, rear hatch hauler - then get the Targa and stop worrying about it.

I can see part of why the cars cost - Porsche just mailed me a boxed, hard-bound book of a brochure of the 991 Targa /// - really Porsche? I'm never going to buy the car, but I guess they have enough 'newest model upgraders' that it is the standard procedure.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TARGA

I have some experience w 997 Targa's. I've had two, both were great.
Hard to find, price was never lower than coupe and less then cab's. Same goes when selling but was easy for me both times.
BTW, both of my Targa's were sold to people that came to me.
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TARGA

Forgot to mention that both were T4S.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 PM
r_32
Instructor

How did you let go of the blue one?? Sharp car.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I personally don't like the look of a Targa. I had the option to buy a Targa 4CS before the coupe I eventually brought but didn't like the look. But as people stated on this thread, if you like the car and the way it looks, thats all that matters.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
Hard to find, price was never lower than coupe and less then cab's.
I must have hit the market at some odd time or I'm reading this wrong. Is it typical that used cabs are more expensive then coupes?

In my recent 2 month search for a car I found 997.2 cabs to be much cheaper then coupes. I found this really odd because it's LA, it's summer and cabs are more expensive from the factory. However, within 300 miles of me in the last 2 months, cabs where quite a bit cheaper then comparable coupes. Maybe it's just my luck. I wanted a coupe so there was a slew of cab's available that I would have purchased had I wanted one.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
mastermsu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the feel and open views with the top closed.. Especially in Michigan with the weather so iffy, the airy feeling of the glass is enough for me..

Quick Reply: 997 Targa