Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Transmission fluid info is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93472

Last page contains the latest updates.

Pentosin or ATE will work just fine in your car.

Cheers,
=L=
Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
Transmission fluid info is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93472

Last page contains the latest updates.

Pentosin or ATE will work just fine in your car.

Cheers,
=L=
Luxter -- In one of your posts in an old thread, you mentioned you installed Liqui-Moly GL-5. Can you give us your impressions? I just put it in mine and so far I am pleased. However it has been fairly warm here in the northeast, so I haven't had any issues with my first couple of shifts. As I continue to drive the car, the shifts become smooth and precise. This is the same thing I experienced with the OEM fluid I removed.

Sean
Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Recently put in ate sl.6 and i have no complaints...somewhat better feel, dont know how it just feels that way.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:52 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATE Blue is NLA in the US. Our DOT has a regulation that brake fluid must be amber in color, which had not been enforced while ATE Blue was on the market. ATE recalled all "Blue" fluid and replaced it with a comparable ATE product.

You may still find ATE Blue from a shop that deals with "off-road" customers who are not bound by the DOT regulations for "street" cars. Or from a specialty retailer in Canada. ATE still makes it, but it is not widely for sale in the US.

There is an ATE yellow that is still available, and is identical in formulation to the ATE blue, less the dye.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniff
Luxter -- In one of your posts in an old thread, you mentioned you installed Liqui-Moly GL-5. Can you give us your impressions? I just put it in mine and so far I am pleased. However it has been fairly warm here in the northeast, so I haven't had any issues with my first couple of shifts. As I continue to drive the car, the shifts become smooth and precise. This is the same thing I experienced with the OEM fluid I removed.

Sean
Your observations in general match my experience.
Liqui Moly is a decent lubricant that meets GL-5 requirements and its viscosity closely trails that of Mobil and Shell. It will do well. Not as smooth as Shell though. Watch for gradual degradation in shifting over time (in comparable conditions, of course) that would indicate a need to replace it. At my local price point (~$25) I can recommend better fluids.
All fluids do degrade over time (Yes, I am familiar with Porsche philosophy of “fill for life”…). I recently sourced some Shell S5 ATE for a couple of 996 drivers. Ask them about the difference that fresh tranny fluid made in their cars….
I also believe that lubricants need to match climates that cars operate in. If I lived in Southern US I would be using more viscous fluids (both engine and tranny). I would also adjust tranny fluid viscosity and OCI if I were frequently racing. That’s why I created the tranny fluid table referenced above.
For those curious what’s in my G-box? It’s Millers CRX 75W-90 NT. It’s a bit stiff when cold (not as bad as Delvac though), but quickly goes away after 2-3 minutes of driving. I warm my car quite slowly in low traffic, no exception. Once warm, it rewards with smooth shifts and quiet operation.
Your mileage may vary…
Cheers,
Luke
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sfv_rider
ATE Blue is NLA in the US. Our DOT has a regulation that brake fluid must be amber in color, which had not been enforced while ATE Blue was on the market. ATE recalled all "Blue" fluid and replaced it with a comparable ATE product.

You may still find ATE Blue from a shop that deals with "off-road" customers who are not bound by the DOT regulations for "street" cars. Or from a specialty retailer in Canada. ATE still makes it, but it is not widely for sale in the US.

There is an ATE yellow that is still available, and is identical in formulation to the ATE blue, less the dye.
Exactly. I have a litre of ATE Blue heading my way now, from Touge Tuning in Mississauga, ON.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a problem with ATE Blue and my Cayman that may or may not be applicable to 997's.

After flushing my brakes with ATE Blue, i developed a pretty loud squeak in the clutch slave cylinder. My dealer claimed it was the throw out bearing. I then read online that the dye in ATE blue can react with the seals in the clutch slave cylinder and cause squeaking. I flushed the fluid with Dot 4 Amber (including the clutch hydraulic circuit), and the squeaking resolved within 10 miles.

I gave my last liter of ATE Blue to the mechanic that performed the PPI on my Cayman. I would not use it again if it were still available, but I know others have had no issues.

Quick Reply: Brake and transmission fluid recommendations please