Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch on targa won't open

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014 | 09:32 AM
r_32
Instructor

Default Hatch on targa won't open

So I decided to drive the targa into work today and there was some rattling coming from the back. Sounded like an interior trim piece, and this was an area in the car that had a loose piece when I bought it several months ago. Fixed it immediately and never caused another problem.

So when I hear the noise today I figured something came loose and I went to pop the hatch to take a look. But the hatch wouldn't open when I tried the key. I put the key in the ignition and tried the interior button to no avail.

Any ideas??
Old 06-04-2014 | 09:01 AM
r_32
Instructor

Bump
Old 06-04-2014 | 09:40 AM
Volnomad
Racer

I have a Targa, and other than the usual creaking issue, I've not had any problems with the hatch. Given that neither the key nor the interior switch will release the latch, I assume it's a problem with the latch release mechanism, not the key or switch. Dealer or indy shop would likely be your next stop. Sorry to post the obvious conclusion.
Old 06-04-2014 | 01:12 PM
PKF 12 GTS
7th Gear

sorry if you made sure already but I had the issue once and slightly opened the roof and the closed it. The hatch then worked.
the hatch will not open even if the roof is just slightly open.
could be that sensor.
PKF
Old 06-04-2014 | 07:48 PM
r_32
Instructor

Interesting. I will double check that. If not, off to the mechanic
Old 06-05-2014 | 12:58 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Fellow Targa owner chiming in with no real advice, other than since I've not had this issue, is there an 'emergency' release for the hatch? Some cars with electronic opening doors/lids have a manual release somewhere - not sure if its in the manual.

Also, are you getting any noise from a motor when you try and open it? Wondering if the motor release has failed. Have you tried opening it from both the key fob and the inside of the car?
Old 06-05-2014 | 06:52 AM
r_32
Instructor

I haven't been able to find another way to open other than the key or switch by the drivers seat. Neither of which open. I don't hear the motor or anything when I try either.

I don't even use the hatch but a small rattle was coming from back in that area and I wanted to see if there was a loose piece of trim or something so tried to get at it through the hatch. More annoying than anything at this point.
Old 06-05-2014 | 05:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

I can attest that I've had this problem 2-3 times where the hatch would not unlatch (by key or by door switch) - there was no noise at all, so the signal to the latch never came.

I think one time I didn't have the roof fully closed. So I can assume its the protection mechanism that prevents damage to the roof by someone opening the hatch with the roof back in the tracks.

I would try opening the glass roof fully and closing it fully. Just to give whatever interlock sensor there is a chance to get it right.
Old 06-05-2014 | 11:32 PM
r_32
Instructor

So rennlist again to the rescue!

I has opened the roof the other day and closed it and still nothing. This evening gave another shot. Fully opened the top and screen a couple of times and next thing I know, the hatch opens. Maybe something tucked wrong in a seal or something but saved a stupid trip the the dealer and a hefty bill.

Thanks for the help and now can get back to wondering how fast I can take that corner as opposed to wondering what the heck is wrong with the hatch I don't even use!
Old 06-06-2014 | 04:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Well, if you don't even use it, why were you trying to open it then? ;-)
Old 06-06-2014 | 09:41 PM
r_32
Instructor

Was trying to locate a rattle. The hatch us useful for getting at stuff like that but not too much else. But I absolutely love my targa top!
Old 06-07-2014 | 12:43 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

If you've not cleaned the mechanism of your Targa top, you might consider that. 1/2 hr DIY the first time. All sorts of dust and grit stick to the gummy lube Porsche uses on that track. It's more of a problem in arid / dusty places.
If all of the pieces of the top (not just the track, but the deflector, the hinges, everything) don't work perfectly, it can cause the sensor to indicate that the roof is open. The hatch will not unlock.
Take your time the first time through the DIY to get the mechanisms really clean. Then use a small amount of the McLube Bearing Oil. Use the McLube spray most places including the deflector hinges etc..
If there's a bunch of dust in the top tracks, consider cleaning / dry-lubing the hatch hinges & lock mechanism as well.
Old 06-08-2014 | 10:51 AM
pmt
Advanced

Default Must close sliding roof fully to open hatch

From personal experience, the main sliding roof must be FULLY CLOSED first before the targa hatch can be opened. I have experienced this "problem" when I did not close roof properly a couple of times. There is no warning on the dash about the roof not fully closed, unlike the warning for the hatch when it is not closed, in which case the roof will not open either. The best way to ensure that the sliding roof is fully closed is to hold the button one second longer after the roof has finished closing and rising up to its final sealed position. I've found the Targa is a great car, with a spectacular panoramic roof!

Quick Reply: Hatch on targa won't open