Sponsored by:

Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap?

Hey guys so this question is purely for curiosity's sake. Would it be viable to swap out the engine on a 997.1 C2S with a naturally aspirated Mezger? I'm not trying to troll, so please humor me as to the possibility of that. I would imagine transmission would be the same, but other than that I wouldn't know. Thanks
Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Possible and viable, yes. Anything is possible with enough money.

Money wise it makes better sense to just upgrade to the GT3 and get the whole package.

Maybe if someone had a carrera with a blown motor it might be an interesting project. However I believe a good used mill is in the $30k range? That would just be the first piece of the many that would be needed.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

of course, anything is possible. for a price.

IMO unless you have a killer dealer (and i mean a KILLER deal) on a mezger and are going to do all work yourself, it's not worth it. better to just buy a GT3. actually i thought you needed the tranny too as the non-GT is not compatible. but beyond that you need ECU, tach/instrument cluster, and i'm sure a host of other things that arent readily apparent (drive shafts? mounts? etc etc).
Old 05-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

I remember a year ago there was a wrecked .2 GT3 for sale in Florida? Someone posted the link on Rennlist they wanted $40k for the whole thing, but I would have rather had just the engine and transmission. I agree it would definitely be easier to just trade her in for a GT3 and call it a day, but I am seriously sentimental about my C2S since it is my first Porsche...I might have a problem
Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

If you are even contemplating spending on a mezger conversion, why don't you look at someone to build your current engine for you? A lot less headaches in my opinion.

Some nice 4.0 nickies, titanium rods, and other things. You could probably just build your engine to be as good as a stock mezger, maybe even better? I haven't looked at the horespower difference, but I bet an M97 motor decked out like described would be a beast!

Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeborden
If you are even contemplating spending on a mezger conversion, why don't you look at someone to build your current engine for you? A lot less headaches in my opinion.

Some nice 4.0 nickies, titanium rods, and other things. You could probably just build your engine to be as good as a stock mezger, maybe even better? I haven't looked at the horespower difference, but I bet an M97 motor decked out like described would be a beast!

Mike
I don't have any knowledge on the M97 motor, but I would assume that the Mezger engine is an inherently better design and could handle the increased power and RPM's better since has/is used for their GT's and motorsport cars.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

No argument on being a better design, but going down that road, you will run into the same type of problems as doing an LS1 swap or similar and then dealing with a frankenporsche. Well, less of a frankenporsche with the mezger, but the same inherent problems, ECU, wiring harness ....... list goes on.

M97 won't ever be the Mezger, of course nothing ever will, but to avoid the pitfalls of a swap, you can make the M97 a better engine.

There are places that will build the M97, just do a search. To give you some ideas, go to Jake Raby's site, flat6innovations. He's not the only one who can do it, but his site will give ideas of what can be done, you can probably even send him an email, I'm sure he'll be glad to send you some info.

Mike
Old 05-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
I don't have any knowledge on the M97 motor, but I would assume that the Mezger engine is an inherently better design and could handle the increased power and RPM's better since has/is used for their GT's and motorsport cars.
The grass always looks greener from the other side.

Some Turbo owners are in some ways falling out of favor with the Turbo (Mezger) engine due to rare failures that get blown out of proportion.

The Mezger engine in Porsche street cars is not quite the same Mezger engine used in Porsche race cars. The engine has been beefed up in the rods/rod bolts department (titanium) and in other areas.

Still, I believe the Mezger engine is a pretty darn good engine and I wouldn't trade the one in my Turbo for two of any other engine.

But neither would I seek to transplant the Mezger engine into car that did not come with a Mezger engine from the factory.

The engine is designed to be turbo-charged. To remove the turbos is easy.

To revise the engine's breathing to deliver acceptable performance is not so easy, I would hazard a guess.

Cams would need to be changed among other things.

You, or a shop, would have to do engine engineering on the Megzer engine that the factory has not (AFAIK) done for a street non-turbocharged example of this engine.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

You, or a shop, would have to do engine engineering on the Megzer engine that the factory has not (AFAIK) done for a street non-turbocharged example of this engine.
The GT3's use the Mezger engine.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollingArt
+1 The turbos aren't the only Mezgers out their and I would hazard a guess to say that the Mezger is more common in the n/a format since all the motorsports applications are n/a
Old 05-31-2014, 01:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
A GT3 engine has to have an eye watering price. There would I believe still be DME issues. Solvable I guess but expensive.

As long as my 997 was running ok I'd leave the money to transplant a Mezger engine from a GT3 into my 997 car in the bank. If the 997 engine blew up I could replace it using this money and still have money left over.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:01 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy a used GT3 and sell this C2s. That sentimentality for the c2s will be gone in a week.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It is a lot of work, either if you want dfi engine or gt3 motor - for street car you need all harnesses, gauge cluster, immobilizer, whole 9 yards to replace with rear ecu as you look at different protocol for communication between devices. Those who strip cars and make racers out of them have way more freedom as essentially all you need in a race car is ecu, motor and motor related sensors only.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap?