Sponsored by:

Exhaust when under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 AM
jabajaba
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust when under warranty

What exhaust recommendations do people have for a car that will be under cpo warranty for another 2 years?

I don't want to cause any warranty issues.

This is a 997.2

I was passed by a 991 c2s yesterday, and what an amazing sound, nice gurgles at low speeds - I have to assume it was PSE as the car looked brand new.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a cpo car with gundo hack. Dealership said ... Exhaust is not a cpo item, therefore it didn't matter since it's not covered.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

My FVD exhaust has not been a warranty issue on my 997.1 CPO'd car.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Changing mufflers is fine but when you start changing headers/cats then Porsche can void engine warranty. Doing mods like that and creating much different exhaust flow will change fuel air flow parameters that the ECU can not properly adjust to and make the engine run lean. The ECU can adjust only so much.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 PM
jabajaba
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdrums
Changing mufflers is fine but when you start changing headers/cats then Porsche can void engine warranty. Doing mods like that and creating much different exhaust flow will change fuel air flow parameters that the ECU can not properly adjust to and make the engine run lean. The ECU can adjust only so much.
What do you guys think of getting the pse installed by the dealership.

The service person told me other after markets will void warranty.

I'm not looking for a super loud exhaust - but the stock is just way too quiet.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

6 weeks after I bought my pre-owned 2010, I bought PSE from Suncoast and had it shipped directly to the local dealer and they installed it.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If you don't want too loud then PSE is a good option. I have the PSE and after 3 years of ownership I really wish it was louder. I'm buying an aftermarket (probably Fabspeed race) to give the car the sound it deserves.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

An exhaust wont affect the warranty.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
An exhaust wont affect the warranty.
That is not true. My dealer told me that Porsche is very strict on warranty repairs and even a x pipe could void your warranty on the engine. He said that Porsche requires pictures to be taken of warranty repairs, at least for significant repairs and if the car is not stock, the claim can be denied. My dealer who I have a very good relation with told me that if I put an x pipe on the car and had any engine warranty issues, I would need to restore the exhaust back to stock for them to repair the car under warranty.

I know someone personally that owned a GT3 and put a new exhaust on the car. He sold the car to an individual in Texas who subsequently had an engine seal leak. The new owner had to get the stock exhaust pieces from the original owner to change it back to stock before the dealer could do the warranty work. I know it sounds silly for the dealer to know that the exhaust has been modded and tell the owner that he has to put it back to stock, but that is what happened. Porsche claims that exhaust mods can alter engine pressures and cause seal leaks.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That is not true. My dealer told me that Porsche is very strict on warranty repairs and even a x pipe could void your warranty on the engine. He said that Porsche requires pictures to be taken of warranty repairs, at least for significant repairs and if the car is not stock, the claim can be denied. My dealer who I have a very good relation with told me that if I put an x pipe on the car and had any engine warranty issues, I would need to restore the exhaust back to stock for them to repair the car under warranty.

I know someone personally that owned a GT3 and put a new exhaust on the car. He sold the car to an individual in Texas who subsequently had an engine seal leak. The new owner had to get the stock exhaust pieces from the original owner to change it back to stock before the dealer could do the warranty work. I know it sounds silly for the dealer to know that the exhaust has been modded and tell the owner that he has to put it back to stock, but that is what happened. Porsche claims that exhaust mods can alter engine pressures and cause seal leaks.
A total joke from Porsche. There are some states that have laws against dealers denying warranty work. Dealers would have to prove that the damages were directly caused by the aftermarket part.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From the cat back, you're not going to get grief on exhaust mods (in general!). My word... there are always exceptions. I've never driven a car -- leased, owned, certified, etc -- that I kept the stock exhaust on.

From the cat back, you should (SHOULD) have no problem. As a matter of fact, some non-Porsche dealerships upsell exhaust mods from aftermarket suppliers and offer wheels and other trick stuff. Sure, Porsche doesn't do this, but everyone is comfortable with cat-back work. The new work/parts just are eliminated from coverage. If wrong hangers or mounting is done, and it causes corrosion to lesser metals on the car, yeah... you just voided corrosion protection. I've seen this numerous times.

If you have work done outside the dealer and behind the cat, and something is installed wrong, and you're back complaining to the dealer about a rattle and some rust or something, and unknown to you the exhaust is rubbing something.... blah blah blah... you should be charged for the time they took to look over your exhaust.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
From the cat back, you're not going to get grief on exhaust mods (in general!). My word... there are always exceptions. I've never driven a car -- leased, owned, certified, etc -- that I kept the stock exhaust on.

From the cat back, you should (SHOULD) have no problem. As a matter of fact, some non-Porsche dealerships upsell exhaust mods from aftermarket suppliers and offer wheels and other trick stuff. Sure, Porsche doesn't do this, but everyone is comfortable with cat-back work. The new work/parts just are eliminated from coverage. If wrong hangers or mounting is done, and it causes corrosion to lesser metals on the car, yeah... you just voided corrosion protection. I've seen this numerous times.

If you have work done outside the dealer and behind the cat, and something is installed wrong, and you're back complaining to the dealer about a rattle and some rust or something, and unknown to you the exhaust is rubbing something.... blah blah blah... you should be charged for the time they took to look over your exhaust.

I agree. Well said!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Just remember the warranty is with Porsche and not the dealer. Dealers will say anything to sell and keep you happy.

With that said my 2009 Carrera S developed a crack in a weld on an exhaust header. Porsche did not want to replaced the header due to the Fabspeed side muffler delete kit I was using. The dealership helped and got the zone manager to come look at the car and meet with me. First Porsche wanted a ecu read out to make sure engine was otherwise stock. After 2 weeks of round and round I met the zone mngr and he approved a 1 time replacement. He claims the header was getting to hit due to the ecu changing the timing and fuel air mix.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

After market (after factory) warranties don't care what you do! Otherwise you would all have me worrying. I can't say enough good things about the SharkWerks center muffler bypass for the 997.2! Love it every day, especially when I start it first thing (cold) in the garage. The reverberation is perfect. And when you get on it, even sweeter sound!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Sharkwerks centre bypass and Cargraphic sides....good volume, deep, burbles, no drone....happy with it. Stock was lame.

Quick Reply: Exhaust when under warranty