Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd question (maybe), can you "rev too hard"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd question (maybe), can you "rev too hard"?

I don't even know how to word this question without seeming like an idiot but i'm going to try anyways...

When driving a 997 is there a major issue with pushing the car close to redline? I have been test driving a few different cars as I get closer to buying and almost every time the salesman has urged me to be careful with how hard I push it.

I understand they are trying to protect the car and I also recognize that I am a fairly aggressive driver, but I just want to make sure that when I do get mine I will be able to drive it this way.

I'm not talking about hitting the rev limiter or pushing it to the brink of redline over and over... but I do like to get it up there quite regularly and have not had any problem on previous cars so far.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

You're fine. Just make sure oil is up to full operating temp before going over 4,000 RPM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
You're fine. Just make sure oil is up to full operating temp before going over 4,000 RPM.
Thank you for the quick response! That's kind of what I figured but i've had two different sales guys make comments about it so I wanted to double check.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Another question for you just to see how much info I can leech from you

There was a gauge all the way to the right of the steering wheel that went from 1-5. I thought it might be some kind of pressure gauge or something?

Where should it be under "heavy acceleration" circumstances? It went all the way up to 5 when I was driving and the guy told me it was normal.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
Another question for you just to see how much info I can leech from you

There was a gauge all the way to the right of the steering wheel that went from 1-5. I thought it might be some kind of pressure gauge or something?

Where should it be under "heavy acceleration" circumstances? It went all the way up to 5 when I was driving and the guy told me it was normal.
That's the oil pressure gauge. As said previously, one should let the oil get up to operating temperature ( ~200F) before getting the whip out.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fahrer
That's the oil pressure gauge. As said previously, one should let the oil get up to operating temperature ( ~200F) before getting the whip out.
I understand about letting the oil heat up but how does the oil pressure relate? I'm not challenging your answer I just dont understand.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2014, 11:09 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idling ...it'll be midrange, under any serious throttle it'll pop up to 5.
Re: your hi rev dealer driving: Perhaps a brief moment of spirited, but thrashing that which is not yours seems inappropriate. I say that because two salesmen said the same thing to ya. You may be overdoin it a bit. No offense intended. Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by swordsmn
Re: your hi rev dealer driving: Perhaps a brief moment of spirited, but thrashing that which is not yours seems inappropriate. I say that because two salesmen said the same thing to ya. You may be overdoin it a bit. No offense intended. Just a thought.
+1

Imagine how many guys walk in and try and drive the fast in a Porsche. Some guy revs the snot out of it, misses a shift and game over.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 AM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

When test driving I always ask the salesman "I'd like to test the acceleration here, is that ok?" Or braking, or cornering, or whatever. They NEVER say no. It's just a courtesy for driving a car that isn't yours. If I were selling my car privately I'd want the buyer to do this.

Sometimes you get a salesman that eggs you on and encourages you to drive it like you stole it. But I think beating on a car is something you need permission for.

That said, these cars were built to deal with it. They can take aggressive driving and being held at the top end of the rev range for a prolonged period of time. If it starts to become a problem (1) I'm impressed and (2) it'll tell you via the temperature gauge.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:12 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

OP: Salesman is protecting the car that you don't own. It's great they said something to you so the next unsuspecting owner doesn't get stuck with over rev/dme counts during hard test drives.

No offense intended.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:13 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swordsmn
Idling ...it'll be midrange, under any serious throttle it'll pop up to 5.
I agree with not not "thrashing" a car during a test drive, especially since you don't own it and someone else will, let alone the OP appears to have revved the RPMs up before the car had warmed up properly.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

I appreciate all the replies. For what its worth I definitely ask the salesman to take me somewhere I can open up the throttle.

They expect it which is why I asked the question... It was surprising to me to still get the comment about not revving too high.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:44 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
OP: Salesman is protecting the car that you don't own. It's great they said something to you so the next unsuspecting owner doesn't get stuck with over rev/dme counts during hard test drives.

No offense intended.
Agreed. People obsess on overrevs, so if the car has a clean DME they wouldn't want you mucking it up.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 AM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

It's very easy, especially in 1st and 2nd gears, to hit the rev limiter and produce some minor over revs. As mattyf said, buyers obsess over dme reports that show over revs. On this forum there have been many threads concerning this over the past years.

Last edited by helispud; 05-25-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

so wait, you go for a test drive at a dealership and you're surprised they tell you to take it easy when you keep hitting the rev limiter...maybe they're telling you this because it's not YOUR car...

Quick Reply: Odd question (maybe), can you "rev too hard"?